Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats kept seperated?

Sneaky
July 14th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Hi everyone,
I am fairly new to this site, and just had a question.
I currently know a person, who has 3 female cats,
2 are the owners of the house, the third is their daughters.
All 3 female cats are unspayed, but are fully indoor cats.
The thing I am concerned about is, most of the day all the cats are locked up into individual bedrooms. The reason for this is, that if they are all
let out into the house at the same time, they fight. I have tried telling
them that these cats will fight, and will work out a pecking order, and then it will get better and they will likely become friends.
They are sure that these cats are going to kill each other!!
I know for a fact that 95% of animals both in captivity in the wild,
will not kill another of their own species unless they are starving or it is
during the heat season.
What do You guys think?
Will these 3 females cats kill each other? What would be the best way to socialize them together?
They have been locked up in bedrooms for almost a year now,
and only 1 cat is let out at any time, and then only for a couple of hours to be played with and cuddled.
2 of the cats are quite normal, kind, friendly, playful. The third is not.
She is a female tabby, quite large about 12 pounds, and has licked all the hair off her rear end to around waist level to almost skin.
She is highly aggressive towards anyone but 1 person in the household, and will hiss, growl, and hide if any other people even look at it!
I am concerned this cat has something wrong with it physically.
It was purchased at a pet store as a male kitten, and was given its first shots by a vet who also said it was male. When it went into a first heat was when it became obvious it was a female.
Any thoughts on this cat?
Thanks.

jessi76
July 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
They have been locked up in bedrooms for almost a year now, and only 1 cat is let out at any time, and then only for a couple of hours to be played with and cuddled.

I'm sorry, but I find that very disturbing. They should of been properly introduced to each other long ago, when they were first brought home. I'm curious as to why none of them are spayed....

Sneaky
July 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM
they were all introduced to each other, the 2 older female cats
have been together since they were kittens,
When the third cat entered the picture fighting ensued apparently and
the cats were seperated.

They are not spayed for financial reasons.

CyberKitten
July 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I find this very sad! These kitties are getting no socialization at all with other cats and here they have sisters!!! No wonder they fight! Why are they not spayed????

Even unspayed female kitties get along with each other. I have 2 unspayed (award winning sphinex show cats that I am fostering for a very ill friend) and omy own Diva of a Siamese who is spayed. They were properly introduced and they get along just fine. The Sphinex may think they are the top cats - Chelsea being the alpha - but YY is a little Diva who owns the place, lol

These cats must be in agony - smelling each other but unable to act on their urges to socialize. They are being taught to be unscialble and hate each other. I can't believe it!!

jessi76
July 14th, 2005, 03:55 PM
This person should look into spay/neuter assistance programs. I believe the spca has one for low-income families, and i'm sure there are many more out there.

you are right to be so concerned, seems there's a few problems there. (spaying needed, socializing, male/female confusion, medical issues...)

I know, i'm not much help. I'm sure someone will be along w/ suggestions.

pags
July 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
She is a female tabby, quite large about 12 pounds, and has licked all the hair off her rear end to around waist level to almost skin.
She is highly aggressive towards anyone but 1 person in the household, and will hiss, growl, and hide if any other people even look at it!
I am concerned this cat has something wrong with it physically.
It was purchased at a pet store as a male kitten, and was given its first shots by a vet who also said it was male. When it went into a first heat was when it became obvious it was a female.
Any thoughts on this cat?

I quoted this again because I was hoping that someone more knowledgable might throw out some ideas about this one...

Hi sneaky -- I personally have no idea what could be wrong with this cat.. but it is rather bizarre that even a vet said the kitty was a male when it was a kitten. Obviously she needs to see a vet as I'm making the assumption from your post that she has not been to one in a long time.

I'm not sure where you're located, sneaky.. but have you tried calling local vets, etc. and explaining the situation to see if they might offer discount vouchers or some other form of financial aid to help the owners with spaying and otherwise seeking medical attention for these kitties? It might be worth a shot -- sometimes we don't know until we ask.

Sneaky
July 14th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Hi,
They have tried to get assistance, but they make more than the allowable amount.
They have quite a high mortgage payment and cannot afford to get 3 cats fixed.
I have tried convincing them that the cats wont kill each other,
but they are all certain of it.

CyberKitten
July 14th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Why are they unconvinced? Cats are more social than we think (they do live in colonies when feral for example and females like to share in caring for babies). Surely, their vet can give them a plan of some kind - financially. And if they cannot afford all 3, they might look into finding a home for one or 2 of the kitties. These cats may be being cared for but they are suffering!

Sneaky
July 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Hi,
What would the best way to reintroduce these 3 kitties
to each other?
Does anyone have any idea about the bum hair all licked off
combined with the extreme aggression and timidity?

Lucky Rescue
July 14th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I find this very disturbing as well. Since they have a high mortgage, another couple hundred bucks doesn't really change anything all that much.

Does anyone have any idea about the bum hair all licked off combined with the extreme aggression and timidity?

Intact female cats are in heat more or less all the time unless spayed or bred.Tell your friend to expect:

Spotting around the heat periods

False pregnancies (increasingly common with age)

Mammary and ovarian tumours and other cancers of the reproductive organs

Uterine infections (which are life threatening)

Extreme stress, leading to susceptibility to disease and self mutilation (like the licking being seen)

Aggression and destructiveness

Howling

Intact males being attracted to the home, fighting and spraying the house and windows.

I have tried convincing them that the cats wont kill each other,
They may not kill each other, but can certainly do severe damage to each other and no doubt will. Females wanting to breed can be very territorial, more so than males.

Keeping intact cats in heat locked in rooms is very inhumane.

Shamrock
July 14th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Sneakypete, that is a very sad situation for these cats. Not a very nice cat-life they are living at the present time, confined and cooped up to one room.

I cant really offer suggestions regarding the behaviour issues and the hair chewing. As you mention, she could have something physically wrong, but if they took her for spaying a vet would give her a checkup, and this would be adressed.
If there are no low-cost spay/neuter clinics in their area, most vets will offer a discount for three or more animals. They could get them done all at once and save money that way. They might arragne with bank a "deferral" on their mortgage principal for just one month (pay interest, taxes only) Worth a try.
These cats all need to be spayed as soon as possible - their heat periods may become more frequent and more distressful to them.

And - it may well help the other problem with their interaction.
The socialization needs to be done slowly, with lots of supervison. Especially in this case, as they're fighting.
I'd start with the calmer two, let them get used to each other first.
Generally, its best to let them be aware of each other's presence without direct contact.. through a door. And then gradually introduce them in some contact, perhaps in their own carriers so they can see each other. and then slowly let them have direct supervised interaction for increased amounts of time.
I hope they will listen to you, and start on a path to let them all have a life out of segregation - and spayed too.
They'll be much happier and healthier kitties on both counts.
Good luck with this.

CyberKitten
July 15th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Here are a few resources online:

It needs to be done slowly. I agree with introuding the two who did know each other at one time (tho clealy they may have lost track of one another's scent now). Allow each to share a blanket - take a blanket or a toy that belongs to one and vice versa and allow each cat to adjust to the smell. Adjust the cats to different rooms and then GRADUALLY allow each to sniff each other through a baby gate or something similar.
Maybe attempt common mealtimes under careful supervision tho they should NOT intervene in a cat fight (unlesstey throw a towwl or blanket over the kitty because they could get bitten or scratched - been there, done that tho with ferals).

IF they were spayed, a little vanilla on each cat would give them all the same scent after awhile BUT really, these female cats are suffering and NEED to be spayed! This is so inhumane!!! I now intact feral cats live outside but they probably did not choose that life. Here are kitties being forced to live like this- It honestly shocks me!!

http://www.escondidohumanesociety.org/BehCatCat.htm
http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/catintro.htm
http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_Behavior/Introducing_Cats.htm
lhttp://www.cuhumane.org/topics/catcat.html

http://maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm