Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Owner will NOT take dog to the vet!!

Loraxp
July 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM
So I have these clients that have 3 dogs - toy poodle, teacup poodle, and labX. I have groomed the 2 poodles and found them to be a complete mess! These people have financial issues, and have cancelled on me 6 times, just for the 2 appointments (putting me out approx. $200 - but this is besides the point). I keep asking them if they've had their shots, and they say, "Yes". Frankly I don't buy it... majorily due to the physical condition of their poodle I groomed yesterday. :mad:

The poodle is a senior dog at 10yrs. It is SO GROSSLY overweight that it's legs are deformed. It can't stand for more than 30sec. before needing to sit down. It's spine is BADLY swayed. I told the owner that it's lymphnodes were BADLY swollen and she didn't care. I told her that it could be a sign of a bad infection, and she nodded and shrugged her sholders. I asked her if she has had the dog to the vet as it's vulva was BLACK and reaked... seriously, I think it is ROTTING!!! She said, "Oh ya. He said he didn't know what was causing it. He said just to leave it."... YA RIGHT!!!

This kind of crap makes me SO ANGRY!! Damn people signing death warrants for their little ones!!!!!! Damn them! :evil:

Thank you for letting me vent (yet again). :sorry:

tenderfoot
July 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I know it's hard - you can't make others care. Next time they keep an appointment you could have the local authorities come visit and evaluate the dog. But to what end? Will the dog be taken to a shelter and traumatized there? You could take the dog to the vet yourself and at least get and evaluation and then be able to give relevant advice - which they probably wont' follow.
Be careful not to be too harsh or they might even stop bringing the dog to you. Then what? the dog suffers even more because its not getting the proper grooming care it needs. You might be the only haven in the storm for this dog.

Loraxp
July 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I agree, and that is why I make suggestions to better the dog's well-being, and not tell off the owner. It's hard to bite your tounge, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

There are no athorities up here to report animal abuse to, nor is there a vet closer than 2 hrs. away. Shooting unwanted dogs and cats is the norm. I am the only local pet-centered business, and need to play my cards carefully.

Thank you for your understanding :o

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Maybe I'm alone here, but I think it's better to try calling the authorities because maybe they will either take it to a shelter and treat it, or put it down and out of its misery. Either way is better than living with this freak.

Loraxp
July 14th, 2005, 01:51 PM
The only authorities up here are the OPP and I don't think that they are interested in animal neglect.

If for some reason the OPP got involved and decided to put it down, up here it would mean a drive to the dump and a few bullets into the poodle. I really have a hard time figuring out what would be more humane of the options given.

The closest shelter is 2 hrs away, and there is a $20 drop-off fee. The next closest is 3.5 hrs. away, with free drop-off. I have offered to take unwanted animals to either of these shelters to help lessen the numbers of animals shot and tossed into the dump, but so far no takers. Guess I just need to keep telling people, and hopefully I'll get to help save a few fur-kids.

kandy
July 14th, 2005, 04:22 PM
It sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. If you can get any authority intervention, will the outcome be any better for the poor doggies? And then you run the risk of these clients ranting to all their acquaintances that you turned them in for animal abuse and you losing all your clients. It won't matter that you tried to do what is best for these dogs, the people will make it seem like you had it in for them personally and had no basis for calling the authorities. I'm really surprised that they actually take the dogs to a groomer if they don't take them to a vet. Sounds like you might be the only good thing in these dogs lives. :sad:

badger
July 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Can you not make vaccinations a condition? There are plenty of reasons why - transferring infections to other animals, or to you, for one. It might scare them off, but if you're the only game in town, where will they go so Fifi looks good, even if she is rotting! Charming people (NOT).

Luba
July 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Vaccinations are not necessary and simply because people choose not to vaccinate doesn't mean they are neglectful. I do not vaccinate and for good reason, they do more damage then good.

However, not getting medical care for a dog suffering with what appears to be an infection or inflammation resulting from some condition is neglectful.

Maybe you can make a friendly call to these people just to check in on the dogs and see how they are doing.

I would go as far as suggesting if they take them to the vet and show proof of care you would give them the next grooming for free :D

Sometimes you have to work things out a different way.

pitbulliest
July 14th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Luba..excellent idea..and I agree with the vaccination thing too..I also don't give them to my dogs for probably the same reason you don't give them to yours..

Anyways...I would definately not give up on this poor dog...sometimes you feel like there is nothing more you can do..but Luba's got some great points there..maybe make a "deal" with them..its completely absurd I KNOW..especially since THEY'RE the ones that should be taking care of the dog..not you!...people make me sick..but since you seem to live out in the middle of nowhere...it seems like you are all that these dogs have...I'm very sorry that you're caught in the middle of all this..but please don't give up..this IS a big case of animal neglect..and this poor dog is probably suffering like crazy..

*sigh*...gosh..they should be taking these people out into the middle of the woods and shooting THEM! :evil:

Loraxp
July 14th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Luba - WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! I'll call them next week and see how the poodle is doing. Then I'll offer a free groom if they bring me a note saying she was checked over. I can tell you now though... as I ponder the idea, that if the vet wants to do blood-work - they will decline. If the dog needs meds - they will decline. SO, would my biting another $35 for a poodle groom really result in any good for this poor soul???

People who are honest and tell me that their pet has not been vaccinated just need to sign a waver that removes libility from me and my family just in case their fur-ball picks something up here. When you have every animal within 100km comming through your home you NEED to cover yourself :eek:

Thank you for all making me feel special for trying to help the critters out here. FYI, I charge the same - if not less than the groomers that people used to travel 2 hrs. to visit! I am not in this to gouge or get rich - just buy the groceries and pay a few bills... and hopefully help save a few pets from being murderred and thrown in the dump.

Gossip is all that's happening in this small town so I really need to watch everything I say and do. (I.e., for Canada Day the ride for the kids at the festivities was a Hydro cherry-picker - now THAT is a small town!!).

I hope to soon start carrying a few supplies so people will be able to better provide for their pets as well. We'll see how it goes.

Luba
July 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
What may be best, is if you tell them that the grooming will be free because you want to ensure the health and safety of the dogs :D So in order for them to receive this service you need to confirm with their vet yourself that the appropriate care was given.

And yes it is absolutely horrid that we would even have to think about this stuff considering many of us would just lay the credit card down and say 'do what you need to'

I hope that helps a little bit! See what you can say to them is a load of crap..you can say "I know you're struggling financially and I've been there myself. I'd like to make this as easy on you as possible. So, I'll waive the fee for the next grooming, if I can confirm with your vet that the dog(s) in question (with the infection?) has been medically treated."

How does that sound? Shrungs, worth a try! The worst they can do is say flip off to you right!

Eleni
July 15th, 2005, 09:00 AM
aw those por dogs :(