Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some people!

Beaglemom
July 14th, 2005, 09:35 AM
How do you deal with people that always think they are right, but are obviously wrong? No matter what you tell them, they always think they are right!

For example, I had a conversation with someone about dogs and food. He told me that his dog eats everything. He said that he feeds table scraps to his dog in addition to his regular food. What really got me was when he told me that he even gives his dog chicken bones! Now, I've always known that chicken bones splinter and can cause massive problems to pets. They can puncture the gastrointestinal tract, cause blockages, etc. I tried to tell him this and he said that only happens to dogs that eat them too quickly and are not used to eating them. His dog is fine. Then in mid conversation someone else jumped in and said that the best quality food isn't always the best for every dog. True some dogs do well on certain types of food and not so well on others. But, she said that some dogs, like strays, are perfectly healthy eating other peoples' garbage! Obviously she is unaware of all the health problems that stray dogs have! But, whatever I say just goes right over their heads!

No matter what I said, they didn't believe me and kept brushing me off! What do you say to people that just don't take you seriously? I can get all the medical studies to back me up and they still don't believe me!

I'm not saying I know everything, there are times I am wrong and I admit it. I may even be wrong in this case. Anyway, sorry I guess I just had to rant a little. It is not a good day.

Melinda
July 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM
you know what? They know you are right, and some if not all of what you're telling them will sink in, but the clincher will come one day when their dog has to be rushed to the vets and they pay a fortune to heal it. Mores the pity for the dog, but when I'm trying to explain something and they think they are right and argue the fact, I say . "ok, you're right, you know you are as always"....and leave it at that. but remember to smile *S*, they'll get the drift. :thumbs up

Beaglemom
July 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks! I really do hope that it sinks in, because I have heard horror stories of dogs that die because of something the owner fed it that was poisonous and they didn't know it or because they choked on a bone or it splintered and caused massive internal problems. And to say that a stray dog is healthy is absurd! They are usually extremely malnourished.

It is just extremely frustrating when everything you tell them is going right over them or they are choosing to ignore it because they don't believe you!

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I know exactly what you mean. A guy at our park decided after reading ONE study WRONG, that he would never vaccinate his dog again. I went on about the implications of your dog not having any antibodies to really horrible diseases, and how not vaccinating your pets only works by relying on OTHERS to vaccinate theirs. The study, by the way was about vaccinating less frequently, not stopping it all together... Anyway, I was wrong and I didn't know what I was talking about, according to him. And about 4 months later I saw him at the park with his dog again, with a brand new rabies tag.

And just last week I got in an arguement with a guy at the park who intends to breed rotties about Eukanuba. He has done soooo much research and decided it's the absolute best food on the market. :rolleyes: Yeah, right.

Moral of the story: say your peace, let it go. One day, they'll learn something.

That's one of the hardest thing about learning about pets. Being able to let it go when you try to pass on what you know to others. You just let it gooooo. :D

CyberKitten
July 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
You ought to try dealing with parents who for whatever reason (often religious) believe that their child who has been diagnosed with cancer does not need traditional medical treatment. I do in fact respect their religious views but when they jeopardize the life of their child, that is a whole other issue!!

kandy
July 14th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I got into a 'discussion' with my aunt recently over something really similar. She was telling me how her chow got attacked by two different dogs on the same day, and that now everytime she takes the chow for a walk it will attack any other dog it sees. She thinks that she should still be able to take the dog for a walk anytime and anywhere she chooses as long as she has it on a leash and that everyone else's dogs need to stay away. She would not listen when I tried to tell her that if the dog bit a person, or even another dog, she could be held liable. I tried to tell her that she'll need to work with her dog alot before she can have it around other dogs again and that she's not doing the dog any favors by continuing to take it out. She kept insisting that if everyone else would obey the leash law then there wouldn't be any trouble and since she was obeying the leash law then it wasn't her problem. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up with either major vet bills from the chow attacking something that'll fight back or if the city fines her for 'harboring a vicious animal' and forces her to put it down. :mad:

Beaglemom
July 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM
It's very frustrating when you know something and are trying to help someone else and they brush you off! It's unfortunate when their pet gets injured or sick because they didn't take the advice given to them.

Prin, I know someone who believes that animals and people don't need to be vaccinated. I told her that her puppy needed all her shots. The risks for an unvaccinated pup is extremely high! She did eventually get her puppy vaccinated, but I'm not sure if she will continue to do so. About Eukanuba, definitely not the best. I switched (thank to your advice) from Eukanuba to Solid Gold.

CyberKitten, it must be very hard to try and deal with the parents of these children. I don't know how you do it. It's a very emotional situation for everyone involved and I'm sure it is aggravated by the fact they are refusing the treatments. There must be a way to force them to consent to the treatments if it would save the life of a child.

Kandy, it is amazing how many people don't realize that they are fully responsible for their dog's action. Many peopel don't realize that one situation like that can change a friendly dog to a frightened dog. I agree with you in that she should take more responsibility, not everyone, unfortunately obeys the leash laws.

I try to walk away and do as Melinda suggested, but I'm still boiling inside! Something I must work on I guess!

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Beaglemom, how goes it with the Solid Gold?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 14th, 2005, 08:06 PM
I carpool to work with this woman,
she doesn't wear her seat belt
her dog and cat are not fixed
she wants to breed her dog a registered purebred with another same breed purebred doesn't matter if its registered or not
and get her cat declawed
she also wants to rehome her cat as well intact as is.

some people!!

CyberKitten
July 14th, 2005, 08:56 PM
It is Beaglemom and those sitruations become highly charged and difficult really quickly!! Sometimes, they get picked up by the media (which makes it so much more stressful for the child - there is no telling such parents how stress aggrevates their child's medical condition but they are of the "true believer" personality and it is black or white, no middle ground. (sigh!!!)

In extreme cases, we do go to court - or the govt appoints a legal guardian for the child. I find those situations trying because who is to say that one's religious views are better or right? And just like the child abuse situations, the child still has a strong bond wth their parent and if old enough, is opposed to various types of treatment. I have had cases where the child in fact disagreed with the parent - still difficult but easier in some ways.

It is also easier (for lack of a better word) in situations of genuine neglect where parents simply lack the abiity to care for their child. But I also find it hard when parents depend on your every word. I actually prefer someone who has done some research and has some thoughts of their own! People who think doctors have all the answers also scare me because I know I have a plan and will do my very best but I am not a miracle worker!

But like al of you, I get frustrated with people who are right no matter what and please don't confuse them with the facts.

Speaking of which - and saving ill informed people from themselves, I thought seat belts were mandatory in BC? I am one of those ppl who wore seat belts even before it was strictly madatory - which was way before I was eligible to drive, lol

Beaglemom
July 15th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Beaglemom, how goes it with the Solid Gold?
Misty loves her Solid Gold! She just wolfes it down. Her coat is also very shiney and when she went to the vet to get her lump examined, even the vet said that she looks better than ever before and looks extremely healthy! I now tell everyone how good it is and I think I may have even convinced one person to switch already. Thanks Prin!

Researchbulls, I think many people can relate to the whole breeding and the declawing debate! I know I've gotten into a few. I'm still working on a few people to get their pets spayed/neutered.

Cyberkitten, it must be extremely difficult. I'm not sure if I would be able to handle that, I commend you. It takes a strong person.

I too thought that seatbelts were mandatory. I know they are here in Ontario and there is a hefty fine and demerit points for those who don't wear them.