Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ten Things my Dog Taught me That made it possible for me to get Married..

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I just read this story by Pam Houston, from a book I got for Christmas called My Dog is My Co-pilot (Crown Publishers, New York, 2003). I read a few stories so far from the book and none of them were really good, until this one. I think so many people on the board would relate to her story.
here is an excerpt I found on the net, but if you can borrow the book, I urge you to read this story: Excerpt (http://thebark.com/book/book_excerpt.html)
It's about her Wolfhound, who gets sick and she pays $30 000 in vet bills to hoping to get a few months extra with him. It's really well written. Really.

Here's her 10 things My Dog Taught Me That Made it Possible for Me to Get Married (there is a great story that goes along with each one, but I think the list alone is great too.)

1. If your paws are too big to fit in your ears, you have to get someone else to do the scratching.
2.If you want your hand to be licked, you might have to put it under somebody's nose.
3. The exact right dog will always come into your life just when you need him most.
4. Loving, in the face of inevitable loss, is the single most important challenge of our lives.
5. All your new habits, like weeping and praying and talking about your feelings, will actually endear you to more people than they will drive away.
6. Sitting in the grass together doing nothing isn't really doing nothing at all.
7. If you love somebody deeply enough, cleaning up their diarrhea doesn't make you want to puke.
8. In the end, the money doesn't matter a bit.
9. Sometimes, even if you haven't acted perfectly, the good thing happens afterall.
10. Everything is forgivable, that every moment contains eternity, and that loving unconditionally doesn't mean you are a self-annihilating fool.

lilith_rizel
July 14th, 2005, 04:07 PM
You know, those things are so true, too. I can relate to 90% of them......