Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs vommitting a lot

CaptainJack
July 13th, 2005, 05:23 PM
I have a 6 month old cocker spainel/poodle mix. In the past week he has been throwing up a lot. We called the vet and asked if we should take him in and the vet just said "Its because its so warm out! Just give him lots of water and keep him out of the garbage and he'll be fine," so we did just has the vet asked. Gave him water and kept him out of the garbage. It seems usless though, because he only leaves the air cooled house to go potty (10 minutes, tops) and always drinks enough water and only got into the garbage once when we first got him, and yet he still is throwing up. Should we call the vet back and say it isn't working, or what?

Kariia
July 13th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for going to a vet...Some people say "my dog is bleeding a lot and throwing up, what do i do" without THINKING of seeing a veterinarian.

I'd say, get a new vet NOW.

Luba
July 13th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Thats ignorant of the vet to say that without further assessing the dog.

There could be a number of reasons including an obstruction, virus you name it...I would call and ask for an appt ..if you get any flack from it go to another vet!

db7
July 13th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I'd go to a different vet

Jackie467
July 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM
I'd definatly say a new vet is in order. This vet doesn't sound like they know what they are doing.

I hope your baby gets to feeling better. Let us know what happens with the vet visit.

kandy
July 13th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Yep, new vet time. I always thought that if a dog was vomiting because of the heat, then they were well on their way to heatstroke which can be fatal in a dog. If this dog is normally in the A/C, I seriously doubt if the puking is from the heat. Good Luck and let us know what happens! :fingerscr

Puppyluv
July 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I have sort of a similar question; a few months ago I became really sick with a viral food poisoning that resulted in me vomitting a lot for about 2.5 weeks. after about 3 days of being ill, my dog started to randomly vomit. Fearing that she too had a virus, I took her to the vet, where she was fully examined, and given every test under the sun. Everything came back normal. The vet suspected that since my dog is such a shadow, she was simply mimicking my behaviour. Has anyone EVER heard of anything at all like this?? I haven't been ill since, so I can't say whether it's a trend or not.

Luba
July 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Dogs are sensitive and react if we are ill but I never heard of a vomit reaction... :confused:

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 07:12 PM
CaptainJack, please find a new vet. Any vet who is diagnosing a vomitting dog over the phone is a quack. Please take this dog to a new vet in person. Dogs with vomitting lose fluids really quickly and can go into shock.

Puppyluv- No, but I do have a dog who throws up for me, when I'm anxious...

CaptainJack
July 13th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all your advice/support guys. We called our regular vet's office and the one who told us to keep him cool was on a vacation, but a junior/assistant vet told us to bring him in so we've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon. He's stopped vommitting for the time being.

Lissa
July 13th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I have sort of a similar question; a few months ago I became really sick with a viral food poisoning that resulted in me vomitting a lot for about 2.5 weeks. after about 3 days of being ill, my dog started to randomly vomit. Fearing that she too had a virus, I took her to the vet, where she was fully examined, and given every test under the sun. Everything came back normal. The vet suspected that since my dog is such a shadow, she was simply mimicking my behaviour. Has anyone EVER heard of anything at all like this?? I haven't been ill since, so I can't say whether it's a trend or not.

There are cases/reports of dogs getting sick with the same illness there owners are suffering from. Some dogs even developed cancer when their owners are diagnosed with it. I don't think anybody has come up with a reasonable explanation except that some dog's are so in-tune and attached to their owners (unless it is something from the environement that is causing the sickness).