Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where should the Litter box go?

donduck
July 13th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

We currently own a cat, and our family will be moving to a brand new home in a month or so. Because we have been renting for the past couple of years (since we've got the cat), we didn't care where the cat was scratching (the carpet and window frames).

Now, my new home is a 2 level home - basement, main level & 2nd level. In the past, we kept the litter box in the main level washroom. The odour in there was just horrible... we had guests over and they cannot use that washroom because of the smell.

I want to know where you guys put your cat's litter box?

I also want to prevent the cat from scratching the carpet, what can I do? I already have gotten our cat a scratching post... but he doesn't seem to be using it much either.

Bothe basement and 2nd level are carpet, so I am quite worried about our new home that we will be moving in to.

Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks,
Don

Roxy's_MA
July 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I sprinkle a little cat nip on the scrathing post and the cats love using it.

As for the litterbox, I keep mine in an empty closet on a low shelf with the door open just enough for the cats to fit through. I have to keep mine out of reach of my doggy. She thinks it is fun to pull goodies out of the litterbox.

Sunkist/Winnie
July 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
We live in a bugalow so only two floors for us. I have both kitty litter boxes in a back storage room in the basement. There is no door separating the floors in our house so no worries about a door getting shut that would prevent either one of the furballs getting to the litter boxes.

We chose the basement because it is out of the way so we don't have to smell it if one of them has left an exceptionally stinky gift and the cats don't get interupted doing their business by a kid flying through the room at Mach 10 speed.

Also, if you are worried about another animal getting into the kitty litter and don't know where to put the box so they can't get near it - what about using a cat door inside the house? In our previous house the kitty litter was in the furnace room and the door was always kept shut. We installed a cat door in the people door and they came and went as they pleased.

jessi76
July 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I have 2 cats, therefore, i have 2 litterboxes, which I keep in a corner of my laundry room, on my main floor.

to keep the smell down between changes/scooping I use baking soda. put a layer about 1/2-1" thick on the bottom of the tray, then put kitty litter on top of that.

for scratching: (1) water bottle (or small water gun) - spritz the kitty when you notice bad scratching behaviors. (2) put citrus peels (lemons, oranges) in the area kitty is scratching, or you can use a citrus spray, same principle, they don't like citrus smells.

to get kitty to use the post, play with kitty on the post...entice kitty w/ toys, bells, catnip, treats, put food at the top.

Rita
July 13th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Start training your kitty now to use the scratching post instead of the carpet ... use catnip and toys to make the scratching post a 'good' place. Be careful that you don't leave toys (especially rope/string type toys) tied to the scratching post that kitty may get caught in :eek:
We keep our litter boxes in the laundry room in the basement.... the door is kept closed, but there is a hole cut out at the bottom of the door that the cats can get through but my FIL's dog can not. This way they have some privacy and any litter that may get tracked out of the box doesn't make it out of the laundry room. We have two huge litter boxes that we scoop out twice a day.

nymph
July 13th, 2005, 03:49 PM
When I took a stray cat in, I put the litterbox in the basement. To get her used to use the scratching post, I played games with her around the scratching post, i.e. place the object of attraction (OA) on the edge of the post, so when she attempted to get the OA, she'd accidentally scratch the post and I'd give her a nice little treat.

Only a few sessions later she learned to use the scratching post fairly well. Now she's been adopted by my friend, who also gave her an old upholstered chair to sit and scratch, so far both the cat and owner are quite happy. Now her mom keeps the litterbox in their main floor powder room, as soon as mom smells something, mom would clean the litter: just scoop and flush, works like wonders.

nymph
July 13th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I forgot to mention, make sure to use the flushable or plant-based litter, very important. I made that mistake once and my toilet was clogged for 2 days.

chico2
July 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM
To me,you should not have allowed the cat to scratch carpets and doorframes to begin with,but it's often easier said than done.
I have 3 cats and a few damaged doorframes,the best solution for carpeting,is not to have any :D woodfloors(or cheaper laminate)is the best,when you have cats,or even dogs.
My cats use their floor to ceiling cat-tree,but occasionally my one cat"Vinnie"scratches the one carpet i still have.
I keep the litter-boxes in my downstairs bathroom,I have 3 cats and I cannot say it smells,with only one cat,there should be no problem with smell,if cleaned and changed regularly.

Jackie467
July 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM
We keep our cat box in the laundry room under a table we have in there with a baby gate in front of it too keep the dogs out. As far as the smell we don't have any problems because we have an atomatic cat box. So when the cat uses it she puts off the sensors so 10 mins. later it scoops itself into a bin that then seals shut blocking off the smell. It was the best $100 I ever spent. Now all I have to do is empty the bin once a week.

As far as scrating the carpet I'v never completely gotten rid of this behavior. I yell at Jasmine every time she has done it since we moved and after 2 years (yes it took 2 years) she has finally slowed down to only doing once in a great while, and when I hear her I startle her with a clap of my hands and tell her no. She has no interest in a scratching post, I have tried everything but she is 12 years old and very much set in her ways. Since she has no intrest in catnip or toys I haven't been able to intice her to use it. But like I said she is starting to slow down on the scrating of the carpet. Persistance is key.

I hope everything works out well for you. Keep trying with the scratching post, and make sure you correct her every time you see she is scratching the carpet. It may take a while to teach her not to, but she is worth much more than any carpet so it will be worth the time and effort.

badger
July 13th, 2005, 06:32 PM
BTW, you might try changing his food, especially if it is the grocery store kind, to see if it improves the scent of his deposits.

CyberKitten
July 13th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I haved quite expensive oak floors and none of the floor is scratched by my cats (present and those now at Rainbow Ridge!).

To respond quickly to your question, I have one litter box per cat plus one (I haveone cat and am fostering two) so that means four litter boxes. (I also have seperate litter boxes for travelling). Never place the litter box in an area close to where the cat eats. YY (my Siamese has her box in the bathroom she shares with me connected to my bedroom. I clean it daily so there really is no smell to speak of.). YY also has a litter box ion the basement tho she uses the one in the bedroom bath most of the time.

She has had a scracthing post since she arrived here at the age of 12 weeks and she uses it ALOT!! She did scratch an old computer chair but she was taught early on that she is not allowed to scratch certain things. She got positive reinforement for using her various scratching posts (I really doubt one is enough - have a few scatrtered at various places around the home).

I agree with the idea of using catnip on the post as an attraction - tho it depends on the age since cats usually do not like catnip until at least 6 mos of age (it has no efefct on them till then) and for some cats, it does nothing ay all. Positive reinforcememnt works well - I am not a fan of negative reactions, they just scare the cat from you! Give your kitty treats and spend time with her when she uses her post.

You have some good suggestions I think from all the posters - good luck!!

Lucky Rescue
July 13th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Lots of good advice!

Because we have been renting for the past couple of years (since we've got the cat), we didn't care where the cat was scratching (the carpet and window frames).

Unfortunately, the cat has now learned that scratching carpets etc is okay and it's hard to break cat habits but not impossible.

Get a scratch post that is NOT covered with carpet since you want him to stop scratching that totally. You can make your own with a board and a few rolls of sisal. Wrap the sisal tightly around the board and secure it. Then screw the board to a wall and make sure it's high enough so that your cat can stand and claw it. It must be rock solid or the cat wont' use it.

Rub it with catnip. You have to teach your cat to use it. When he goes to scratch the carpet, very gently take him and show him how to use it,with lots of pets and tickles when he does. You must be patient and consistant.

Litterbox - start with two, one upstairs and one down. After he is reliably using one, you can eliminate the other. Litterboxes should be a quiet and private place.