Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

preparing yard for puppy/adult dog

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 13th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I am trying to prepare our yard for our dog and would like to train our dog to do its business in one area. Right now the area is not fenced off but we plan to do so, and give him/her access from the back and front yard. The area in the diagram is now just basically gravel and weeds, what surface would be good for this purpose, I was thinking gravel as it could be cleaned up easily, but it may be yard on the paws, or possibly planting some cheap grass as it would be used just for the dog area.

Also as we as we have had dog before will it be hard to teach this dog to go in one area. The yard has been cleaned since, then and mowed several times, and it has also rained quite a bit as well, will the scent still be there.

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Dogs are tactile creatures. If you teach you new pup to only go to the bathroom in a gravel area then you may find that later on this is the only surface he/she will be willing to use for that purpose. So... if you are visiting and they don't have gravel around... you might have a problem. Just MHO. :)

BeagleMum
July 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Just remember that dogs can smell 400 times better than humans and beagles/hounds can smell 1000 times better than humans. I would guess that the scent would still be there. If a dog pees in the house, you need to use an enzyme solution to get rid of the scent. No matter how much you wash it with other chemicles, the smell still tends to be there for the dog.

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 01:38 PM
The smell might be there, but if it is, it will only help right?

Did you look at getting one of those pheromone sticks?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 13th, 2005, 05:52 PM
originally posted by BMD loverDogs are tactile creatures. If you teach you new pup to only go to the bathroom in a gravel area then you may find that later on this is the only surface he/she will be willing to use for that purpose. So... if you are visiting and they don't have gravel around... you might have a problem. Just MHO.

well its sort of gravel with weeds mixed in, I could plant grass in maybe half the area so the dog goes on both surfaces.

originally posted by Grover 4
Just remember that dogs can smell 400 times better than humans and beagles/hounds can smell 1000 times better than humans. I would guess that the scent would still be there. If a dog pees in the house, you need to use an enzyme solution to get rid of the scent.

The dog isn't a hound and our old dog did have one accident when he was sick and had diarreah in the living room, I guess I would need to clean the whole carpet with enzyme cleaner, there was also a dog in the house before we moved in more than 7 years ago, so I dont know if that smell would still be there.
The smell might be there, but if it is, it will only help right?

Did you look at getting one of those pheromone sticks?originally posted by Prin:

The area where I want the dog to go, hasn't been used by any dog yet.
I think the pheromone sticks are worth a try. I will try to find that thread again or see if they sell them at the pet store.

I am not sure if this idea will work and wonder if I should just accept that the dog might just end up going in the yard.

Thanks all for your expert opinions. :)

kandy
July 13th, 2005, 06:34 PM
You can definitely teach the dog to go in one area, with or without the pee post (pheramone stick). You just have to treat the dog as if it were a pup being housetrained. When it's time to go outside, put the dog on a leash and take him to the desired area. While he is sniffing, if he tries to go outside the area, take him back to the area you want him to go. Every time he goes outside, take him to the same spot. He'll get it - and probably sooner than you think. If you catch him trying to go in the other parts of the yard, stop him and take him to his area.

BTW - if I had a choice, I would make my dogs area just dirt - easier to clean up and you don't have to look at ugly dead spots in the grass! :)