Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food qty question --> puppy - adult

Dogastrophe
July 13th, 2005, 10:27 AM
With the exception of my family dog when I was young, I've only had adult dogs so have never had to think about this question. However, now that I have my first 'new to me' puppy (Jack, silky terrier x, 10+/- lbs, now 7 to 7-1/2 mos old) I am wondering when I should thumb his portion size down to the 'adult' level? Or put another way, at what point does the puppy become the adult? Is there a magic age or would I be best to keep an eye on his body shape and just ensure that he is staying in the ideal range?

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Is there a magic age or would I be best to keep an eye on his body shape and just ensure that he is staying in the ideal range?
I would go with that. Each dog is so different that it really depends on food fed, metabolism, etc.. I was always told you should be able to feel the rib but not see the rib.

mona_b
July 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I also just wanted to add that since this is a small breed,you really do't need to switch to adult till he is about a year..... :)

Many of my friends with small breeds have waited till their dogs reached a year before swiching to adult..... :)

Dogastrophe
July 13th, 2005, 12:27 PM
:thumbs up Thanks for the replies. We'll keep an eye on his intake and his form and adjust as necessary.

Cheers

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Actually, I think breeders of little dogs believe the other way around.. Maybe. I'm not sure but I thought little dogs were supposed to go on adult food around 6 months or after being neutered? Did I read that here or am I nuts?

And do watch the shape of him. It takes about 2 weeks of feeding the wrong amount to see the effects (skinny may take a bit longer to notice...)

kandy
July 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Actually, I think breeders of little dogs believe the other way around.. Maybe. I'm not sure but I thought little dogs were supposed to go on adult food around 6 months or after being neutered? Did I read that here or am I nuts?

I am thinking - but not positive - that you might have that backwards :D I know that with our newfs, the breeder asked us to put them on adult food at 6 months because puppy food normally contains too much protein & calcium and will make a giant breed puppy grow too fast and put too much stress on their bones.

I've never owned a small breed dog - at least none smaller than my corgi x, so I really don't know how long to leave one on puppy food.

I have convinced my breeder to let me feed a "control growth" puppy food specially formed for large/giant breed puppies (WolfCub). Everything I've ever read says to leave a dog on puppy food until their bones have quit growing. I will continue to feed Hazel the puppy food for a while longer yet, but since Parker needs to eat the same kind of food, I probably won't keep her on it for a year. I'll probably switch to adult food once Parker reaches a year old (Hazel would be 10 months).

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks Kandy. I really wasn't sure. It makes sense either way as little doggies stop growing earlier too... :confused:

Dogastrophe
July 13th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I have Jack (and my other two) on an all stages food (Canidae). I can't recall the protein content right off hand, but I believe it is around 22 or 23%.

mona_b
July 14th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I am thinking - but not positive - that you might have that backwards

Yup,your right.

Smaller breeds don't need to be switched to adult till about a year.

Larger breeds,especially those prone to HD,should be switched(gradually) to adult earlier.I have only owned GSD's.And they were switched at 6 months. :)