Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi - trying to get advice/education

animalluvver
July 13th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Hi - well I'm off to a brilliant start as I wrote an intro message, sent it and for whatever reason it got transported into the ether, never to be seen again!
I am definitely technically challenged so won't even attempt the use of any smiley icons!! Here's hoping I do it right this time!

I am new here, never been part of a public forum so I beg patience and hope I am following all the rules about netiquette!

My question is this:
how does one go about making an educated decision on where to donate one's time and to which rescue?

I ask because I am currently looking to help out a rescue in Ontario (anywhere from Oshawa area to London area as I have a car and can easily access 401) but would like to know how does one go about finding out who is a reputable rescue, one who shares the same ethics and enthusiasm that I do? Is there a code of standards that all "reputable" rescuers have to abide by that I can access or some legality with the government to be a charity?

I read what the moderators had to say and recognize that this is potentially a contentious issue and so I hope this post has not offended anyone and that I am following the rules with the above question.

I am just trying to get advice to make an informed decision......I have heard that some rescues are fronts for shady operators such as mills and puppybrokers, and I am also aware that there are alot of great rescues out there, and, again that some of these perfectly good rescues seem to also get wrongly accused of being disreputable and in the end all I want to do is help the pooches and so I am wondering if anyone may be able to help me out, either with direct posts to this site or by emailing me privately with advice. whew!

I would really appreciate any help and thank you all in advance!

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Hi Animalluver,
Welcome to the board! There are many wonderful rescues in Ontario who could definitely use an extra pair of hands to help volunteer. Do you have a specific breed that you love? That might help to point you in the right direction. If you already have a specific rescue in mind, I would suggest you ask that rescue to speak with a few volunteers to get a feel for how they operate and what's to be expected from a volunteer and in what capacity you would be able to help out. Wonderful that you are looking to help rescues!

animalluvver
July 13th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Hi - thanks so much!
I am kind of an all breed gal although maybe I should wet my feet with something in the smaller rather than larger variety, given the nature of my place (smaller not larger!)
I notice you are in Quebec! La belle provence!
Thanks again and I welcome any other thoughts you may have!

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2005, 07:55 AM
lol, I'm not sure I would consider Quebec to be such. I lived in Niagara for 12+ years and miss it terribly.

Don't discount the xlarge breeds. Many are extremely relaxed in the house and enjoy just hanging around on a sofa or comforter. Of course, I'm a bit biased, lol.

There are many great groups that come to mind in Ontario and I may miss many so I hope others will add to the list:

Adopt-A-Rott
Danes in Distress
Adopt a dog/Save a life
Project Jessie/ Anne & Pete Wilson
Bullies in Need
German Shepherd Rescue Toronto
Peachy Pugs
Golden Retriever Rescue Ontario

I know there are so many more... I must be lacking in coffee. :o

animalluvver
July 13th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Hi thanks again!
Am I losing my mind? - I posted my same message onto here (slightly revised) and then discovered it was already here! Did you lend a helping hand and direct it here, BMDluver, or am I even more technically challenged than I thought??!! LOL!
But thanks if you did and if it was my technical error I apologize to everyone for having essentially the same thread posted twice!

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2005, 09:06 AM
lol, I had nothing to do with it. I'm no computer expert.

animalluvver
July 13th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks so much for helping out BMD - I will start my research asap! And you are so right about the giants - I loooove a good couch potato Dane! *not to take away from the Bernese!, I just have no experience with them* - are they also laid back dogs? My friend had a Dane living in an apartment, but close to a big old off leash park and it was absolutely fine - loved it's walkies and then just chilled in the apartment - I was totally blown away!
Anyways, thanks for the help on this one - gives me a good starting place!

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Just be sure to research the diseases you could possibly end up with depending on the breed. Great Danes are very prone to bloat, where the stomach fills with gas and flips over. It's a $5000 emergency surgery, and not too many people are willing to pay for it (the people I knew who didn't pay for it so regretted it later on).

Every breed has it's genetic disorders. The more prepared you are, the better you'll handle the situation if it arises. :)

animalluvver
July 13th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Excellent advice - thank you - and yes I was definitely aware that some of the larger breeds could get bloat but not particularly that Danes were also susceptible! I also understand that you have to act fast or there is little chance of saving the dog.
Thanks so much and I will definitely be asking lots of q's re: breed tendencies, genetic disorders etc before I make a choice as to where to allocate my free time and which type of dog would be best to foster if in fact a rescue needs a foster home....In your experience, are people okay with allowing foster dogs to be fostered in apartments as long as there is a good park close by?

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 11:14 PM
It really depends on the rescue. Some won't bother with you if you don't have a yard, and others will be outraged if you go to an off-leash dog park.

I'm just guessing but I think my rule of vets applies to rescues too- if you are suspicious once and doubt them once, move on.

Luba
July 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Yes it's one of those sticky situations and you are right to be concerned and do your homework first. There are rescues that are less then reputable but there are tonnes more that are very good.

Lucky Rescue
July 14th, 2005, 01:41 PM
My input, FWIW:

I personally would let someone in an apt foster a dog, IF that person is home a lot and is committed to regular walks, exercise etc. Leaving a foster dog in a crate all day is not acceptable. I would not allow dog parks, since there is a chance of disease or of the dog being attacked and injured by another dog. A rescue will not pay the vet bills if injury or illness is caused by something the foster did, or did not do that goes expressly against instructions given by the rescue.

If someone is NOT home during the day and the dog barks, the foster may not be able to keep it. Since dogs in foster homes are there because they have no place else to go, this would be a very bad scenario. Most rescues cannot afford long term boarding and need fosters who can keep the dog for whatever time it takes to rehome it.

The thing with rescued dogs is often they need housetraining, crate training, or obedience training and maybe socializing to get them ready to be adopted. The dog must cared for and trained as if it were your own, must be kept in the house and never left loose or tied outside.

A good rescue will be actively trying to find your foster dog a home, paying for all vet care, and food too if necessary (although it's greatly appreciated if fosters can contribute food or toys etc.)

Good rescues will never leave you in the lurch, and will always be there with support, help and advice.

Any dog you take should be completely vetted and spayed/neutered before you get it. If that was not possible for some reason, you can take the dog to the vet, but should never have to pay anything.

You must be willing and available to allow people to come into your home to see the dog, and must be able to bring the dog to any adoption events being held and preferably stay the day to answer questions from prospective adopters.

Hope this helps!

animalluvver
July 14th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Hi - Yes that was very helpful - thanks for all the advice! Can I ask clarification on two points....one rescue I contacted stated that I would be responsible for the vet bills and at such at time as was financially possible, they would reimburse me. Is that common practice - (I'm not overly loaded on the money front) and was just wondering if this was common?

I guess most rescues rely on the kindness of strangers for donations to fund the vetting and if that ain't there the visa gets maxxed!

Also the bit about the parks - Is it not okay to walk the dog (on lead) in a dog park to help with socialization and that sort of thing (given the dog doesn't have kennel cough or some contagious condition...)?

Thanks for all the input and thank too to Luba for the other post that most rescues are good rescues!

White Wolf
July 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Dogs on a leash can become very aggressive. They feel that you are going to hold them back so they have to make up for it. On top of that, the approaching dog also feels like you will restrain yours, so he can attack harder without consequence.

Lucky Rescue
July 14th, 2005, 02:58 PM
one rescue I contacted stated that I would be responsible for the vet bills and at such at time as was financially possible, they would reimburse me.
If you are comfortable with this, then there's no problem. We personally never ask fosters to pay, unless they offer!

Is it not okay to walk the dog (on lead) in a dog park to help with socialization and that sort of thing (given the dog doesn't have kennel cough or some contagious condition...)?

Taking a leashed dog to an off leash park is a no-no, for the reasons that White Wolf stated.

Stick to places where all dogs are leashed. Just walking around your neighbourhood will expose the dog to many people, sights, sounds and other leashed dogs.:) You are in control and can choose nice and friendly dogs for your dog to interact with and can avoid any aggressive dogs. At dog parks, you have no control at all.

animalluvver
July 14th, 2005, 03:01 PM
thanks - hadn't thought of it that way!