Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Law proposed to keep dogs' heads in vehicles

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 05:22 PM
GREEN TREE, Pa. - Doggone it! Rover won't be able to hang his head out the car window any more if an 11-year-old boy gets his wish.

Marc McCann came up with the idea of ensuring that dogs are restrained while in cars as part of state Rep. Tom Stevenson's annual "There Ought to be a Law" contest.

Stevenson submitted a bill to the House Transportation Committee in June that would require drivers to keep their dogs' heads inside the vehicle at all times. Stevenson also wants animals restrained, either with some kind of modified seat belt or in a crate or carrier box.

"I never did like dogs sticking their heads out the window," said McCann, one of more than 500 students from his legislative district who proposed laws. "Maybe a sign might have been too close to the road and they'd get hit. Maybe they'd jump out the window on a highway."

Stevenson said the bill will protect "not only human lives, but pet lives. I think it's going to be a great idea because it's going to cut down on driver distractions."

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Wondering what u also think of dogs in the back of trucks?????????I think that should be against the law big time.....

BMDLuver
July 12th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Dogs in back of pick up trucks, yeppers. Dogs sticking heads out of windows with ears flying back and tongue hanging out... probably one of the few things during my day that really makes me smile. It would be sad to not get to see dog's enjoying a car ride with the window down.

Jackie467
July 12th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I hate seeing dogs in the back of pickups, this definatly should be illegal. or at least they should be in a crate which is securly tied down with a tarp over it to protect them from the wind, and it should not be permitted in certain temps.

I also don't like seeing dogs with their heads hanging out of car windows because I know that it causes a lot of ear and eye infections, not to mention the dog could fall out or get hit by something too close to the road.

I say good for this kid to be so caring about animals. He seems really smart.

SnowDancer
July 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I agree with the ban - have seen dogs with half their bodies hanging out of windows - way to close to my car. Not to mention debris flying into their eyes.

JDG
July 13th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but aren't there also health implications to extended time hanging out a window for pups????

The wind in their ears can cause damage to their sensitive ear drums, and also there is chance of debris or forgien objects getting into Fido's eyes.

There are products on the market to protect your dogs eyes though. We've seen these before - but for a giggle (again) DOGGLES!!! www.doggles.com

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/doggles/maindog.jpg

heidiho
July 13th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah the debris thing is scary

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
My doggies have a rule- they're not allowed to stick their heads out if we're going over 60km/h or if I'm tailgating someone... :D :evil: