Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Affordable Vet in Greater Toronto Area

donduck
July 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Hi all,

My cat is constantly spraying and urinating in the house. I am quite worried because we will be moving to a new home within a month or so.

I want to take care of the problem first, and I want to take our cat to a vet, but we cannot afford for the pricey ones.

Please advise and give me a price range, as we have never taken our cat to a vet since the day we've taken hospitality of the cat for 2 years already.

Cheers,
Don :o

raingirl
July 12th, 2005, 05:55 PM
First of all, is your cat neutered/spayed? If not, that is probably what is causing the problem.

All the vets in Toronto will be expensive. I am just outside of toronto (Brampton) and it's still expensive here.

If you want anything cheap, you have to go peterborough/barrie/london areas, but to the small towns surrounding them. But with the price of gas lately, it may not save you anything.

Our vet in Brampton charges $50 for a visit, then everything else needed is on top of that. If you need a spay/neuter, it will be around $200 anywhere in southern ontario basically.

Just go to the college of vet's of ontario website and start calling around to places near you to get the best prices. http://www.cvo.org/ All vets in ontario are listed on this site. Just click on "find a veternarian" link and start phoning!

donduck
July 13th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it.

Well, i know our cat is not neutered or sprayed. I would like to have it done, but can that be done at any age? I heard it's only the first 6 months after birth, and I know our cat is 2-4 yrs over that age (we don't know because we gave home to the lost kitty 2 yrs ago - and still couldn't find the owner).

Dogastrophe
July 13th, 2005, 12:42 PM
All vets will S/N cats (and dogs) at any time beyond 6 mos. From what I understand some will do very young (14 wks). The only other restriction beyond that would be the health of the cat prior to S/N. If your cat is healthy, there is nothing stopping you.

On the issue of vet costs, I think that you will find that most vets are pricey. My vet (in Halifax) runs about $47 +HST for an office visit plus whatever is required beyond that.

SnowDancer
July 13th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Whatever vet you choose will require that your cat be vaccinated before being admitted to clinic for S/N. Otherwise it will mean quarantine. You will find the prices charged by Toronto vets pretty standard - as per info provided by other posters.

Beaglemom
July 13th, 2005, 04:08 PM
I have found that prices for a vet exam are pretty standard. Our cottage vet isn't much cheaper than the ones in the GTA for an office visit or for the annual vaccines. You could try calling around.

As for a more affordable spay/neuter, you could try the this link:
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/animal_services/faq.htm
Scroll down to where it mentions the spay/neuter clinics. There you will find Toronto Animal Services spay/neuter clinics and all their contact info. You could try calling them and ask about their pricing.