Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange cat behaviour...

BeagleMum
July 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM
A friend of mine has a cat who's attitude seems to have changed lately. The cat cries a lot through the night so they have been forced to keep him in the basement when they are in bed. Now, when they put the cat down there, he pees everywhere.

Any ideas why he would be acting like this?

Nothing has changed for him since November (they moved into a new house) and he was fine for the first while, this has just started in the last month or so.

pags
July 12th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I'm no behaviorist but it sure sounds like he doesn't like the basement... :rolleyes:

giz
July 12th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I would say he's eithier in heat or there is a cat hanging around outside the house.

Melinda
July 12th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Has something changed in the house that is spooking him when the lights are off? a new aquarium? new neighbours? and as for peeing in the basement, do they have litter down there for him? Sounds to me like he doesn't like being locked in down there alone.

CyberKitten
July 12th, 2005, 04:34 PM
There really is not enuf info here to provide a good answer - anything else is just guessing. I do wonder why they did get a cat and then placed the poor thing in the basement!!! That makes absolutely no sense to me - it is clear s.he is stressed over something - or ill!! And if he was crying thru the nite, that also means he is trying to tell them someting. Have they taken him to the vet?

BeagleMum
July 12th, 2005, 08:00 PM
This cat is one of the most spoiled cats that I have ever seen. They play hide and seek with this cat, definitely not abused.

Could someone answer this for me: Why is it that no one seems to think twice about crating a dog for the night but it is mean to give a cat 1300sq ft for the night. How is that mean?

They didn't just buy a cat to lock him in the basement, they bought a cat as a companion.

As for medical problems, he had a urinary track blockage a few years ago but that was treated and he is now on special food. He still sees the vet regularily to make sure that it doesn't come back.

I don't think that anything has changed in the last month. I know that they are still doing construction in their area so he may hear that but it would be during the day.

happycats
July 12th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Is he fixed? If not he is probably just marking his territory.
If he is fixed, ,he might be peeing out of spite (does not like the basement)

Cats are creatures of the night and some cry run and carry on all night long ! (I speak from experience, I have 2 who run up and down the stairs all night long, and one who cries really loud all night long :rolleyes: )

I few suggestions, keep him busy all day so he sleeps more at night. I find cat nip an hour before I go to bed works wonders (they get really hyper, but then burn out really quick and go to sleep ;) ). ear plugs are another option.

He obviously does not like being locked up, so he will continue peeing everywhere if they keep locking him up, and boy can cats be really stuborn, he will win this battle!! :D

CyberKitten
July 12th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I for one am not a fan of crating but that's just me. If I don't crate a dog, I would not do it with my cat either.

Anyway....

Is the cat spayed or neutered? What breed is it? Some kitties are more vocal. And you did not say if they just moved - cats HATE change and that might be one thing.

There have been instances of cats afraid of the dark and you can buy a night light in that case - or maybe if the cat has a room, leave a radio on. If I am away, I leave the TV on - the Sphinxes actually have their own TV in their room. (Alas, I do not have Animal Planet, lol kidding - they do have the TV, I am not sure what their fav show is).

Was the cat always shut out of the bedroom? Maybe he is protesting that? Or did they put him (her?) in the basement after s/he meowed thru the night. Are there outside nosies (like cats and other critters that might cause him or her to cry at that time?)

Good luck in finding the cause! It sounds baffling.