Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clay or Clumping?

BeagleMum
July 12th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I went out to but cat litter last night and accidentally got clay. I hate it. What do you use?

happycats
July 12th, 2005, 06:11 PM
PINE!!!!!!!!!! It's the best!! I just love it, it looks just like sawdust, does not track, no dust, smells great, and clumps better then clay clumping, and seems to last so much longer then clumping clay. Also it's so much lighter, so the garbage man loves ot too :o :D

CyberKitten
July 12th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Yesterday's News! I hate clumping litter to be honest.

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 12:03 AM
The vet I used to work for used "yesterday's news" on the freshly declawed ones... It was more expensive, but I found it didn't hold the smell well. :confused:

Jackie467
July 13th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I use clumping, and couldn't imagine using anything else. I have an atomatic cat box that scoops 10 min. after the cat gets out (best invention ever) so it requires clumping. It's so nice having the atomatic box, I just have to empty the waste bin once a week, and it stays clean at all times, and surprisingly because it's air tight it doesn't smell at all.

mona_b
July 13th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I refuse to use clumping.Many years ago I asked my vet(great vet) about the clumping.He has seen alot of bad results with it.A while back I picked up a health magazine.And lo and behold there was an articl about it.I did post it quite some time ago.But unfortunately I can't find it.But I do have this to share with those who use or want to use clumping.I have definately changed the minds of friends who were using it.They said they didn't want to chance it with their furbabies. :) ...Now remember,this is not just toxic to cats/kittens...It is also toxic to pups/dogs.

http://www.felinesandfriends.org/content/clumping.htm

lil' iggy pop
July 13th, 2005, 10:33 AM
I use the regular clay stuff although it makes a mess. I too have heard the clumping litter is bad, especially for kittens. I would like to use it if it's proven that it isn't harmful, but until then...

What about that crystal bead litter? Has anyone used that, and is it worth it? I'd like more opinions/experiences as an alternative to the clay litter.

JDG
July 13th, 2005, 10:35 AM
PINE!!!!!!!!!! It's the best!!

Cool. .. . where do you buy it? From a speciality store? Do you mind saying how much you pay for it and the size of the bag?? Would this be safe for kittens/young cats (under 6 months)

I use clay with a scoop of clumping mixed in to reduce the smell - I'm in an appartment, and I need to empty the boxes nightly so anything that makes the task a little cleaner is coooooooooooooooool with me!

EDIT ADDED: I called my local store in Montreal, Bio Pattes, and she sells Feline Fresh Pine Litter, its $5.99 for 7lb bag. . . . .

happycats
July 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Here's some more info JDG. http://www.pinefresh.com/pages/about_pinefresh.htm
http://www.felinepine.com/felinepinescoop.html

You can get it in most pet stores (I get mine at pet value and Walmart)
Just don't get the pellets (they don;t work as good) get the stuff that looks like sawdust.

happycats
July 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
EDIT ADDED: I called my local store in Montreal, Bio Pattes, and she sells Feline Fresh Pine Litter, its $5.99 for 7lb bag. . . . .

It seems like alot, but 7lbs of pine is the same as 20lbs of clay!

JDG
July 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM
It seems like alot, but 7lbs of pine is the same as 20lbs of clay!

How much do you spend happycats, and for what size bag. . . .??? Your in Ontario right? Perhaps prices are different from ON to QC??

Personally - I spend tons on air deodourizers etc. . . I don't mind spending a little extra on litter if it eliminated the smell.

:)

JDG
July 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Missed your first post! darrrrrrrn! Walmart you say, eh? I was going that way tonight!!! :D :D I think I might check that out! Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated. :thumbs up

The Pine Fresh website says the only place in Canada its available is Petcetera. . .which is not in QC! :(

happycats
July 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Missed your first post! darrrrrrrn! Walmart you say, eh? I was going that way tonight!!! :D :D I think I might check that out! Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated. :thumbs up

The Pine Fresh website says the only place in Canada its available is Petcetera. . .which is not in QC! :(
Walmart has there own brand, which is just as good, so does Loblaws, and pet value!

I just posted and it dissappeared :mad: third time today!! :mad: .

As for cost, I'm actually spending less, because I don't need to buy deodourizers, plug-ins, or air fresheners anymore :D and the pine seems to last forever! (as long as a 20lb bag of clay clumping)

JDG
July 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Cool! I'm going to give it a try!

I'll let you know how it goes.

:pawprint: :cool:

happycats
July 13th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Cool! I'm going to give it a try!

I'll let you know how it goes.

:pawprint: :cool:
Please do!!
I hope you and your kitties love it as much as we do!!

BMDLuver
July 13th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I use SWheatScoop. It's safe if ingested by cats or kittens or a dog eats some poop with it on it. It's made from 100% wheat middlings.

dogmelissa
July 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I use clumping litter, and have done so for the 6 years I've had my cats. The only problem I ever had was one of the cats refusing to use the box when I bought the "multi-cat" or perfumed litter accidentally. Now I buy "un-scented" or baking-soda varieities and everyone is happy. I tried Pine once--though the pellets, I didn't know there was sawdust available, and all the cats flat out refused to use it. So did the dog, but then again, I gave up on him being litter trained after he turned OVER the box and pooped on TOP of it the 3rd day.
I could perhaps see if I can find the sawdust-type, but I'm worried about how much I'd go through it with 3 cats. Will look into it for one of their boxes perhaps and see what happens.

I also found this article and product ad which some may find useful;
clumping litter alternatives:
http://www.andersonsinc.com/processing/faq_clump.htm
http://www.shopnatural.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8596&Category_Code=4485&Product_Count=1

I did a quick check on the Petsmart website and they have both wheat & corn clumping litters, but not pine-dust. Since this is American, I'm not sure if they are available here. If anyone in the area knows about any, please let me know. If not, I need cat food anyhow, so I can check in the stores this weekend.

Melissa

dogmelissa
July 18th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I was at Petsmart in Calgary over the weekend and picked up a bag of Wheat litter. I've temporarily forgotten the brand on it, and I'm far too lazy right at the moment to go look. I'm going to start this in only one of my 4 litter boxes and see how the cats like it.
The guy at Petsmart was very helpful and told me that he's heard lots of good things about it, though he's never used it with his cats. He recommended the wheat litter over the corn litter, as he said from what he's heard it clumps better.

I am also considering getting one of those automatic litter boxes; the ones that scoop after the cat leaves, but the boxes all say that it needs hard-clumping litter and I'm not sure if the wheat or corn will clump hard enough for that. It'd be really nice to have an automatic box, as I have a picky cat who doesn't like to use a dirty box (one pee is dirty, in her opinion). So if anyone has an automatic box and uses "alternate" litter in it, please let me know how it goes.

That's all for today!
Melissa

doggy lover
July 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I use the clay stuff, I just dump it every other day and put it in our green bin for house hold garbage and its gone. I tried the clumping but when we go away on weekends and leave the cats it became a pain as it all clumped togeather. :yuck:

Freyja
July 18th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I heard that clumping was bad for cats, especially long haired breeds, can stick to fur and be ingested while grooming.

I bought a bag of volcanic rock at a specialty tool place the name of which has completely left me sorry. The rock is odor eating and I didn't have any problems with odor if the box was cleaned regularly. Just put the bag out in the sun occaisionally and it recharges.

Sneaky
July 19th, 2005, 12:50 AM
I voted other.
I use natural kitty litter, the wood chip kind.
I found that actual "wood" kitty litter is very expensive,
and being the kinda broke person I am,
I found a much cheaper alternative at home depot.
Wood Pellets for pellet stoves.
3.97 cents for 40 lbs.
It is the exact same stuff but not 8 bucks per lb!
Keeps the smell away better, is flushable in small amounts,
and lasts way way longer than the crummy traditional
clumping or clay litters.
I have a very stinky boy kitty and this is the only stuff
that keeps the smell down.
Heres their website:
http://www.sbcfiremaster.com/pelletfuelproducts/pellet_fuel.html

chico2
July 19th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I am back to using the 99% no dust clay-litter,I tried Yesterdays News and others without success,there is one whom the store says is very popular(of course they would look at the price!!),I believe it's called Worlds Best,but I draw the line at paying $38 for cat-litter.
The clumping litter is dangerous for obvious reasons,especially in a closed in box,I rather change the boxes more often..and our trash-collector asked if I have dead bodies in the bags every week,the reg litter is so much lighter.
I might try the wheat,someone I know use it,it was a terrible mess big hard stinky clumps,but he obviously did not take care of it for his poor cat,he does now however.
The clumping litter was created for our convinience,with not much thought of the cats health.