Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So you think it is hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM
I just had to let everyone know here in Arizona today it is gonna be 115.....................................Top that....................

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Where my husband is currently residing the average daily temperature is 120. He did say that it is a dry heat. LOL!

Sneaky2006
July 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
How about high 90's with 70% humidity? :yuck: You can cut the air with a knife!

JDG
July 12th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Currently in Montreal it is 91.4 with 67% humidity!!

bllllllllllah!

jjgeonerd
July 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM
It's supposed to be sunny and 75-85 here all week. Moderate humidity. Sorry to rub it in! :D

Dukieboy
July 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
It's 82 with a high of 91 here in Toronto. Its sooooooooooo hot.

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Ok that is sweaty hot,yeah here it is a dry heat,dont sweat to much.. :evil:

CyberKitten
July 12th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I think it is 30 or 31C here today - that is hot enuf for me!! Once when I was in Calif for s month, they had a heat wave and the temps were 100 plus every day. I rather liked it (with air conditioning) for the short time I was there but I was a teenager at the time, lol I have felt hot temps in Africa and Asia tho and that is V. rough to work in!

Dogastrophe
July 12th, 2005, 02:37 PM
It's a balmy 16C with threat of rain in Halifax today. A very lovely autumn day :mad:

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I do not understand your temps..how to read them

Dogastrophe
July 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Celcius to Fahrenheit

F = [1.8*C]+32

16C = ~61F

nymph
July 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Humidex 40 degrees here!

I don't mind the dry heat, but this humidity is killing me! It took my a/c 6 hours to lower 2.5 degrees last night. http://bestsmileys.com/hot/3.gif http://bestsmileys.com/hot/3.gif

Jackie467
July 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM
It was 103 F on sat here in Houston with 100 percent humidity. They had a heat advisory on every chanel to bring in all animals and if you can't to provide them with water and shade.

They also had the advisory for smog because when the humidity is that high the smog in this city gets so bad it's like a fog and you can't see anything more than 6 feet in front of you, this also makes them put out the advisory for asthma sufferers because the smog makes it ten times worst.

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM
oH OK THANKS,GOT IT,WOW 100% HUMIDITY AND 100 IS FRIGGIN HOT,WE DO HAVE THE HEAT ADVISORYS HERE ALSO AND SAME THING ABOUT YOUR PETS,SHADE OR NO SHADE IT IS HOT OUT THERE

kandy
July 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM
It has been pretty warm here - 85-95 degrees every day, but at least we don't have the friggin humidity!! I once went to Iowa in August (born and raised in the desert) and thought I was going to die!!! I felt like someone wrapped a blanket around my face - I could not breathe! I don't see how people live and work (not to mention play) in high heat with high humidity. I think the humidity makes it feel hotter when its hot and feel colder when its cold. I've been in Vegas before when it was so hot that the pavement was melting the soles of my shoes! :eek:

Kariia
July 12th, 2005, 06:33 PM
34 CELSIUS (94 F, I think?) with 80% humidity=41 C...which is about...104.

And I'm in Canada. So I am not used to the kind of weather you have in Arizona.

Prin
July 12th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Wayyyyy up north in Qc, about 14 hours north, north west from Montreal by car, where there are only Moose, rocks and a couple of trees, it was 36 today without the humidity. Apparently the weather folk said it was the hottest place in Canada....

Iggette
July 13th, 2005, 05:30 AM
I'm on holidays at the moment so these clear sunny days are great but I think I'd rather be on a lake with a dock and swimming :( oh well at home is just as restful.

I am bugging hubby to take me fishing at some point this week.

And can you believe the time of my post :rolleyes: I was up at 5 am today......just can't even sleep in my body thinks it should be at work :p

Mockingcat
July 13th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Here in NC, it's been 98-99 degrees everyday with 100% humidity. They give the heat index (how hot it actually feels) as being 120 degrees, in the shade.

heidiho
July 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM
WELL 116 HERE TODAY,BUT NO HUMIDITY :evil:

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM
You should come here heidiho-- my cousin from Calgary says that when you get off the plane in Montreal, the humidity hits you like a brick... 116 with no humidity... I wonder what that is like. Here, above 31 degrees, you're just wet all the time. Damp skin, damp clothes, damp paper... Everything curls.

Here, so the young metric Canadians, older Imperial Canadians and Americans all know what temps we're talking about without having to do math... :D

Melinda
July 13th, 2005, 01:23 PM
fastest way to change C. to F, and remember, this is always off anywhere from .5-1 degree, take the celius temp, double it and add 30, so 20c = 70F (20 + 20 =40, + 30 = 70)

reverse it to go from F to C take 30 away and divide by 2, ( 70 - 30 = 40, (divided) by 2 = 20)

ok, so I can't do a dividing sign on the puter *L*

heidiho
July 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Still Seems Complicated To Me..........math Wise

heidiho
July 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM
We are hitting 116 today...Humidity is only 9 %

Roxy's_MA
July 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I find all that math a little complicated, plus I am to lazy to figure it out in my head.

I use this converter. I often talk on the phone with people from Texas and Arizona for work. It is hard to talk about the weather when neither can figure out each others temp.

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

heidiho
July 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM
That is cool,yeah that helps..

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM
So far here, it's 25 with 63% humidity... The humidex is 31. Is actually pretty cool compared to yesterday and even this morning.

9% humidity... Sigh...

So nobody thinks it's easy to look at the little thermometer? :sad:

nymph
July 13th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Another hot week to come, but at least lower humidity.

chico2
July 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Well guys and girls,my pool is 87F,the temp outside is right now +30C which is about 85F +what seems like 100% humidity,but I rather have that,than the lousy summer we had last year.
The only thing that bothers me is the a/c,I love to open my windows,but I am very relieved we have central air,I don't know how people do without it.
It has not rained properly for about a month....come on rain!!!
I had the sprinkler on today,not for all my flowers,but the birds and they love it :D
Just a little reminder,while we are complaining!!

pags
July 13th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hmm what is that white stuff surrounding Chico? :D

chico2
July 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Oh well,what could it be...http://bestsmileys.com/storms/11.gif

pags
July 13th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Baking soda? Marshmallow Creme?

No no.. I'm kidding. I know it has to be sand. That's the only white stuff that lies around on the ground around here.....

:D

And by the way - your smiley made me giggle out loud.

chico2
July 13th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I guess you don't get much of that white,fluffy stuff in Mississippi :D

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Chico I LOVED last summer. It was my ideal summer. Cool with cloud, and more cloud. Fabulous. Less bugs, less sunburn, more time outside for me. I get horrible migraines from the heat and I get sunburned in less than 4 minutes on a cloudy day. I love the cruddy summer weather. :D

chico2
July 14th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Prin,I hated it,I had trouble with my flowers,too much dampness and bugs.
I LOVE the sun and a wonderful +26C is ideal and I love to be outside all day,work a little go for a dip..watch the kitties enjoying the outdoors.
I do not burn in the sun and although I use plenty of sun-screen I have a nice even tan every summer and the wrinkles that come with it :D
But in this heat it's difficult,I'm getting no work done :pawprint:

JDG
July 14th, 2005, 08:49 AM
ONLINE TEMPURATURE CONVERTER

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

http://www.stabb.com/tools/convert.html

EASY conversion equations you can do in your head! :D

To convert Fahrenheit temperatures into Celsius:
1. Begin by subtracting 32 from the Fahrenheit number.
2. Divide the answer by 9.
3. Then multiply that answer by 5.

Here's an example: Change 95 degrees Fahrenheit to Celsius: 95 minus 32 is 63. Then, 63 divided by 9 is 7. Finally, 7 times 5 is 35 degrees Celsius. Time to go to the beach!

To convert Celsius temperatures into Fahrenheit:
1. Begin by multiplying the Celsius temperature by 9.
2. Divide the answer by 5.
3. Now add 32.

Here's an example: Change 20 degrees Celsius to Fahrenheit: 20 times 9 is 180. Then 180 divided by 5 is 36. Finally, 36 plus 32 is 68 degrees Fahrenheit. That would be a pretty comfortable outside temperature for taking a walk!!

source: http://vathena.arc.nasa.gov/curric/weather/fahrcels.html

doggy lover
July 14th, 2005, 10:35 AM
It's not so much the heat but the humidity. My husband works in this crap outside all day, I don't know how he does it. Me I'm on vacation and am staying in the central air as much a possible, I don't go out till after supper when the sun is going down. Even Tucker doesn't want to go out.

Dogastrophe
July 14th, 2005, 10:45 AM
It's not so much the heat but the humidity. My husband works in this crap outside all day, I don't know how he does it.

When you work outside in it day in and day out you really do get used to it. Before my recent A/C office days, I worked many summer jobs in construction / golf course / and forestry. First day or two of high heat / high humidity were always the worst, afterwards, it's just another hot day. Now I get wiped out by the heat going just walking out the office doors (on the occassional day when Halifax gets really hot ... distant memory these days :sad: )

nymph
July 14th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Chico I LOVED last summer. It was my ideal summer. Cool with cloud, and more cloud. Fabulous. Less bugs, less sunburn, more time outside for me. I get horrible migraines from the heat and I get sunburned in less than 4 minutes on a cloudy day. I love the cruddy summer weather. :D

You just read my mind! :p

melanie
July 14th, 2005, 06:00 PM
u lucky buggers, i looooooovvvvve summer, it inspires me to do stuff and im far more physical in summer....

and today its sooooo friggin cold, burrrr, i hate winter, every winter is that if my discontent and i for one am over it big time.....

i jsut came back from my sisters, its colder there, ti was minus god knows what o nthe weekend, i jsut dress like the michelin man and wait it out, i sooo wish i was physilogically adapted to hibernation, ohhhh i ocudl soo do that today... or jsut learn to fly north i suppose..

oh i cant wiait till summer thrusts its face in the window again, i can actually day dream about that warm heat on my skin, ohhhhh i love it...

WINTER SUCKS

doggy lover
July 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Melanie how cold does it get down there, it can't be that cold. You should try some of our Canadian winters. ;)

melanie
July 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
funny that, i only said to my sister yesterday that there is no way i could live a winter in canada as i would probably die or whinge soooo much that the locals would kill me anyways....

nah its not as cold as you guys get, but i cant stand a bit of it and am a huge whinger in winter, even i have to tell myself to shut up occassionally....

today it was 1deg celcius when i woke up, burrrrrr i say, it gets to about 13 or so in the day which kills me... where my sister lives it snows alot and was minus 7 deg celcius yesterday, holy crap to that i say.....now that is cold....

so no to you guys we probably have mild winters, blazing summers though and gosh do i love them, i loooovvveeee it when its stinkin hot, makes me fell all patriotic and stuff.... :D

does a canadian winter be very cold all over the country, duh expression, i mean is it cold everywhere, or do you have variation between places like we do, btu then again this is one huuuuggggeeee country so variations are understandable (its only 20deg celcius in brisbane today, lucky buggers)....

doggy lover
July 18th, 2005, 06:07 PM
No the Temp. varies from cold to bloody cold in the winter across Canada. We here in Ontario can get temps of -30 degrees C and so on, the temp your talking about is a warm spring day here. LOL here is a pic of Tucker in the snow, oh I guess you don't know what that stuff is, its rain that has frozen as it is so damn cold.

lilith_rizel
July 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
It is going to be 105 here tomorrow, and it will be humid. We are actually in a severe weather watch, just because of the heat and humidity!!!! Gosh, would I give anyting to see snow right now......

melanie
July 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
ohhhh get stuffed minus 30, oh my god that s just amazing, what a wild place to live, i heard canadians had double glassin their windows, wow i can see why....

tucker looks cute, but doesnt feet and such freeze?? poor charlie, i am afraid to let her sit on the frost for fear it will do something to her bum, poor girl, spose she has nothing to worry about....

hey its now 5deg c and i am sitting here in two spencers, a jumper, track pants, two pairs of socks, ugg boots, and a wollen hat, it would realy make you laugh, i look like a mountain monster i assure you....

and i have seen snow, well about 20yrs ago i saw some snow, it wasnt much but it was snow, and on telly i see it :D

now my heart goes out to you all, i cant see why your bodies have not addapted and created a hibernation cycle, i think you ned it...

but then your winter must be sooooo pretty, lucky ducks :D :p

doggy lover
July 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Hey Mel we buy boots for our dogs and my bearded dragon has a fur parka. lol :p

Kariia
July 18th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Coldest weather I've seen here is -10 C. Not bad. But still very cold. :sick:

5C is AWESOME for winter.

LET ME MOVE TO AUSTRALIA NOW...

Prin
July 18th, 2005, 10:59 PM
LOL Melanie- we're up to triple pane windows now...

It's all cold except maybe Vancouver. They get some rain in the winter. The prairies are the worst.

If I could have one wish for Montreal weather, I'd wish for less humidity. When it's hot, it's hot and humid. When it's cold, it's cold and damp. You can't win.

chico2
July 19th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Aww Mel,here's a good example of our winters,check the temp!! It's on my deck a couple of winters ago :eek:
I actually don't mind,although I LOVE summer,each season has it's beauty..

melanie
July 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM
chico holy crap thats cold. wel ltaht settles it, i am in no way ever going to canada in winter, nuh bugger that, i would probably freeze in summer and fear death in your winter. burrrrr your all too brave, and now i understnad why everyone thinks canadians live in igloos, ride in dog sleds and wear animal furs, hey its an understandable assumption :D

heidiho
July 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM
On Sunday our hottest day 116 and humid my poweer went out from 6:00 pm til 2:00 am.WE had a bad storm so it was humid and so hot.I have never had my power go out is sucked

Jackie467
July 19th, 2005, 09:20 PM
On Sunday our hottest day 116 and humid my poweer went out from 6:00 pm til 2:00 am.WE had a bad storm so it was humid and so hot.I have never had my power go out is sucked

You are so lucky! our power goes out every time the wind blows. There doesn't even have to be a storm and it will go out for hours. over memorial day it was out for 13 hours and it barley stormed. Once it went out for 21 hours and we had to throw away everything in our fridge and freezer.

Man 116 is HOT. I can't believe that some people around here still don't have AC. My SO's grandparents live in Mexico and don't have AC (or running water for that matter) and it gets about 116 every day. I just don't know how you could live like that. It's so hot here sometimes I can't even go outside because I get sick.

heidiho
July 20th, 2005, 10:49 AM
You do get used to it,but no electric that was horrendous,where do u live??

heidiho
July 20th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Heat Wave Blamed for 12 Deaths in Phoenix

By MICHELLE ROBERTS

Associated Press Writer

PHOENIX (AP) -- A blistering heat wave is being blamed for the deaths of 12 people in Phoenix, prompting officials to ask for donations of ice and water bottles for those sweltering without air conditioning.

From Saturday to Tuesday, Phoenix police reported a dozen people had died of apparent heat-related illnesses. Ten were homeless; the other two were elderly women, including one whose home cooling system wasn't on.

By comparison, the Arizona Department of Health Services documented 34 heat-related deaths among all Arizona residents last year. The number of illegal immigrants killed by heat-related illnesses are counted separately.

Phoenix has endured above-average temperatures every day since June 29, with the high reaching 111 degrees on Tuesday. Even during the coolest part of the day, the mercury failed to descend lower than 91 degrees.

Advertisement

The spike in deaths prompted the mayor on Monday to ask for bottled water donations. Bill Manson, development coordinator for Central Arizona Shelter Services, said a number of companies and individuals had been donating water and organizing drives to collect bottled water.

Will Humble, bureau chief for disease control at the Arizona Department of Health Services, said that while homeless people are among those at highest risk from suffering a heat-related illness, most who die every year are people who work outside.

Those doing strenuous activity outside can use up to a gallon of water an hour and often also risk depletion of electrolytes, particularly sodium and potassium, even if they are consuming water.

---

On the Net:

Arizona Department of Health Services: http://www.azdhs.gov/

Central Arizona Shelter Services: http://cass-az.org/

2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Purchase this AP story

kandy
July 20th, 2005, 12:38 PM
[/QUOTE]My SO's grandparents live in Mexico and don't have AC (or running water for that matter) and it gets about 116 every day. I just don't know how you could live like that. It's so hot here sometimes I can't even go outside because I get sick.[/QUOTE]

I was in Cancun in December and I was appalled at the poverty conditions there. If you stay in the "Hotel Zone" you don't see it, but we went on a bus ride to a downtown flea market and some of the conditions were horrible. It really makes me realize how petty my complaints about my life are. At least I have a job, a house that has running water and money to buy food. I was in the Caribbean a couple of years ago, and on St. Lucia specifically, the poverty conditions were even worse than in Mexico. One look at they way those poor people are forced to live will make you appreciate everything you have.

heidiho
July 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM
That is funny you say that,you are right we should be thankful to have air and a roof over our head i always try to look at life like that,but then i look at people who have so much more and feel like i have nothing ....