Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mayor of Vernon resigns

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 12th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Our mayor resigned giving a tearful resignation speech yesterday.

He falsified his expense account and said that he was taking other political figures out to lunch, dinner etc charging up 100 dollar bottles of wine. All the people that he said he had these expensive meetings with denied they ever met with him. Then he said he did to protect the identity of investors so he used the other peoples names instead. Anyways he got busted and is under criminal investigation.

I think what he did was wrong and I am angry that we payed the bills for these huge expensive meals, But I felt bad for him at the same time. He said he was going into counselling and didn't like the person he was becoming.
I have never really liked our mayor and have found him to be arrogant, and his morals questionable. But I do hope he gets his life together and comes through this okay.

JDG
July 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Sounds like a politican to me. . . :rolleyes:

In the small town that I am from there has only been one mayor for as long as I can remember - I suppose I might feel the same if ol' Gordie was caught doing something he shouldn't.

to put it in perspective, lets say he does 3 of these business meals a week, and each meal comes to $400 (a couple bottles of wine, a couple expensive meals, dessert)

If he did that 3 times a week, for 52 weeks a year over a 4 year term - thats $249,600. You can buy a house for that.

If meals weren't the only thing he fiddled the books on. . . . .

Rick C
July 12th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Our mayor resigned giving a tearful resignation speech yesterday.

He falsified his expense account and said that he was taking other political figures out to lunch, dinner etc charging up 100 dollar bottles of wine. All the people that he said he had these expensive meetings with denied they ever met with him. Then he said he did to protect the identity of investors so he used the other peoples names instead. Anyways he got busted and is under criminal investigation.

I think what he did was wrong and I am angry that we payed the bills for these huge expensive meals, But I felt bad for him at the same time. He said he was going into counselling and didn't like the person he was becoming.
I have never really liked our mayor and have found him to be arrogant, and his morals questionable. But I do hope he gets his life together and comes through this okay.

Don't feel bad for him. Its classic manipulation to elicit your sympathy. He didn't feel bad for YOU when he was robbing YOU.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 12th, 2005, 12:29 PM
here is the whole story.

http://www.chbc.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=11447