Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat urinating in house

Lucypet
July 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I have never posted in a forum before so please be nice :)

My cat is about 5 years old and I got her from a rescue centre about 3 years ago (she was spayed by the centre before coming home with me). I don't know where she came from, but she has always been a bit stressed and nervous.

She has in the past sprayed things "marking her territory", but it hasn't ever been a huge problem as it's been so infrequent and only when there has been some kind of change within the household. Recently though she has started urinating in the house on the carpet as well as using her litter tray. I think she may be feeling unsettled as I have recently got a new housemate (she started urinating at about the same time as he moved in). She has lived with him before in my previous home for 6 months and seemed very happy.

I have no problem in cleaning the stains and smells away, but have no idea how to stop her doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Sneaky2006
July 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Is the new housemate an animal? Hard to tell from your post.

Do you only have the one litterbox? I would try getting another one of a different kind... if you have a covered one get one without a lid and put it in another room.

Also, even if you can't smell the urine where she went previously, that doesn't mean she can't and may keep doing it. Is she going in the same spots or close to it?

One other thing... sometimes cats go outside the litterbox if they are having a urinary or bladder problem. It may be a good idea to have an urinalysis done to check for an infection.

Oh, welcome to the board! :D That wouldn't be Northampton, PA would it?

CyberKitten
July 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM
All of Sneaky's suggestions are excellent ones, esp the rec to bring her to a vet. Many inappropriate urination probs are medical in nature and it is your cat's way of telling you something is quite right. Clean out the litter box completely.

The rule of thumb is to have one litter box per cat plus one. So maybe you can place another one somewhere else in the house? If she is used to your housemate, it may be something else that is upsetting her? Did you move recently?

If it not medical - after you take her to the vet and uti's etc are ruled out - and all the litter box cleaning (Do not use amonia top clean up the mess outside the box since it smells too much like urine) - it may be stress and Rescue Remedy or Feliway mught help you there.

Just some thoughts on your problem.

Lucypet
July 13th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Thank you for your suggestions.

Like I said, we have lived in the house for 2 years, and the new housemate is a human being.

It isn't a medical thing as that has been ruled out. I don't see how it can be the litter tray as I clean regularly and clear it as soon as I see that she has done something. Also she uses her litter tray aswell as urinating on the carpet.

Well it's a mystery to me, I will try my best to make her feel less stressed and I have got some rescue remedy to help, hopefully after time she will be her old self again.

In answer to your question it's Northampton UK :)

vcheng79
July 13th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Try spraying your carpet with stain remover for pets. You can get it from any pet stores. Even though you cannot smell any cat urine, it doesn't mean your cat can't. Maybe that's why your cat keeps on going on the carpet.

JDG
July 13th, 2005, 09:27 AM
How much time are you spending with your cat. They might be urinating as an attempt to get your attention - obviously the new human is getting some of the time and attention that normally would have been given to the cat.

Perhaps the cat is jealous.

I think some real good quality one on one time, some praise, cuddles and treats might just do the trick!

:cool: