Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sleeping on her back

Melinda
July 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I know this has been talked about before, but I'm really curious, most of my dogs at one time or another has slept on their backs "airing out" as we call it jokingly, But my new pup Brina, 10 weeks old, is forever on her back, exposed to the world, this is with my daycare (5 kids under the age of 6) running around, she has no fear of them stepping on her or tripping, she sleeps in front of my fridge door and is still small enough so that the door passes over her and she doesn't have to move, she will open her eyes and watch the door pass over her, but not move a muscle. Does she just have no fear? Is she that trusting? Or could there be another reason......outside she's forever "grass surfing", she dives into the long grass and swims on her belly, she loves crawling everywhere with her back legs stretched out behind her. She does run normally, we walk 2 miles a day, broken up into 3 sessions. I should mention she is lab/shephard. Any idea's? :confused:

Dogastrophe
July 12th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Lucy (18 mos) and Jack (7 mos) both sleep on their back with their goodies exposed to the world. Jack will let the fridge door and cupboard doors swing over his head in the same way as you described. Lucy will try to let them pass over her but she tends to forget that her head is to large so she take the odd wack. Jack likes to 'swim' under the couch / bed, chairs, etc. He will do it over and over.

I think that Brina is just being a cute little goober. You shouldn't have much to worry about.

Melinda
July 12th, 2005, 10:22 AM
*L* Thanks Dogastrophe, I'll have to remember to be more careful when she's fully grown, either that or cut all curves in my cupboard doorways? *L*

Prin
July 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Ah, she'll learn eventually. Puppies are naive. :D

kandy
July 12th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Dogs sleep with their bellies exposed to cool off. Hazel sleeps on her back alot of the time. :) She also sleeps in front of the fridge - but she's already too big for it to go over her. I have to slide her out of the way - which doesn't seem to bother her as most of the time she won't even wake up! :D

Melinda
July 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM
*wonders why Kandi posted a pic of a bear cub* *LOL* My goodness that is a sweet pupp *L* :eek:

kandy
July 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM
A very dirty bear cub!! LOL That pix is even a month or so old. Hazel is now 19 weeks old and weighed 42 lbs at 16 weeks. I really need to post some newer pictures! :)

nymph
July 12th, 2005, 04:08 PM
What a cute pup!

Puppyluv
July 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
layla spends about 90% of her time on her back. She also does the grass diving (snow diving in winter) the picture I posted in the photo gallery was of her sleeping, head lolling to one side. I have found that she uses a little bit of discretion now, when people are around, keeping her legs a little closer, and going for the longer stretch. She also plays on her back almost exclusively:

Melinda
July 13th, 2005, 06:52 AM
exactly like Brina, we call her our "cat", but the thing is, her belly is soooooooooooooo ticklish!! *L* you touch her anywhere on it and her legs get moving.