Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving

katy82
July 12th, 2005, 12:05 AM
I had a question in regards to moving and couldn't seem to find an old thread on it even though I'm pretty sure there is one! So can anybody please direct me to a older thread or just answer some questions for me.

My fiance and I bought a house with a fenced backyard and we move in at the end of the month (YEAH!! :D ). My question is how to get my dog Phil used to the new place. Are dogs really affected by moving alot? As well we currently live in an apartment so Phil is not used to being able to be by herself outside. Whenever we visit someones house with a backyard and try to leave her out there for any period of time. She gets herself really worked up and barks and cries and in general gets very upset. What is the best way to get her accustomed to being outside by herself (not like we'd leave her outside for long periods of time!).

I'm not as worried about my cats as we've moved with them before and they have always adjusted quite quickly.

On a side note she also gets very upset if my fiance and I are somewhere besides the apartment and if we even leave her in a room with someone else for a minute she goes crazy barking and crying for at least 5 minutes. I guess she's just really attached but does anyone have any ideas how to work on this?

As always thanks for the help and advice!

mafiaprincess
July 12th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I can't help.. but I can sympathize.. I lived in an apartment till cider was about 7 months old. I'm in a house with a backyard and she doesn't even want to potty alone outside let alone chill for a few minutes alone, and I've been working on it for three months.

Mine is also a velcro dog. Has to be with you or cries and barks. I have gotten suggestions on velcro dogs in the past, but slowly trying to get her to adapt doesn't work as well as I think it should. I can't even go potty myself without her spazzing..

Just wanted to say I know what it is like..