Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Good Chew Toy?

BeagleMum
July 11th, 2005, 08:04 PM
What is good for dogs to chew on? I used to give Spencer rawhide to chew on (not eat) but he managed to eat a piece so I have taken them away. He loves to chew. What would be a good alternative that I could give to him that wouldn't upset his tummy?

mafiaprincess
July 11th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I have been giving hooves. Unappealing to me... but my baby was destroying almost any toy, and anything edible was gone in an instant.

coppperbelle
July 11th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Kongs are great chew toys and great for chewing. They are made of a super hard rubber. As an added bonus they can be filled with treats to keep your dog busy. Try putting a bit of peanut butter or cheez whiz, freezing it and then giving it to your dog when you go out. It will keep him busy for a long time.

I do from time to time give a rawhide although I do not recommend them. I always watch my dogs while they are eating them and when they get too small I take it away. It depends on the dog.

Puppyluv
July 11th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I know its either love or hate, but my dog, who while medium sized, chews like the best of them (I have to buy her the 'Super Heavy Duty' toys, made for GSDs etc, and she weighs 35 lbs... deffinately not a super heavy duty dog size wise) LOVES her nylabones. So long as you take them away if the ends start to 'knob off' they are hard, durable and even clean their teeth. However, my 2 childhood dogs both completely ignored their nylabones.. so it really isn't a univeral thing.
And of course, as said above, the kong is a favorite of I think every dog.

Angeleyes1437
July 11th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I can definitely agree with the Kongs. My 60lbs. APBT puppy has quite a mouth on him. I used to spend at least 50 dollars a month just replacing parts of his toy collection. He can rip through almost ANY toy I give him. He is yet to ruin his kong toys. He loves them... even if you put a little jerky treat or bone in them... it's great! I also have the Kong Fill... that works too but if they don't get it all it will harden up and you have to get your fingers in there to clean it out... yuck! Crusty cheese fill!! :yuck:

Prin
July 11th, 2005, 08:26 PM
My doggies like the "Cool Kong" the best. It's blue and white. Otherwise they like the "Cuz" squeaky rubber balls.

Keep in mind with Kongs that the red ones are for mild chewers and the black ones are for severe chewers. A dog I know has killed 3 kongs, all were red. I guess his owner didn't read the owner's manual inside when she bought them.

Angeleyes1437
July 11th, 2005, 08:28 PM
My doggies like the "Cool Kong" the best. It's blue and white. Otherwise they like the "Cuz" squeaky rubber balls.

Keep in mind with Kongs that the red ones are for mild chewers and the black ones are for severe chewers. A dog I know has killed 3 kongs, all were red. I guess his owner didn't read the owner's manual inside when she bought them.

Good point Prin... I have different kinds of kong toys... bones, tubes, the typical kong and more. The black ones are STRONG- not even a dent... the red ones show some wear.

Puppyluv
July 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Yes, underestimating my dog's cheing ability (she may LOOK dainty, but don't be fooled) I bought a red kong. DESTROYED!!!! The black replacement is the only toy that's never seen a scratch.

Dogastrophe
July 12th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Same here -- Lucy can and will destroy most chew toys in short order with the exception of her black kong. She can take the knuckles off the large 'for powerfull chewers' nylabones in two days. Interestingly though, we bought her a couple of very cheap plastic squeaker toys that she could destroy in about 5 mins, instead she just chomps up and down on them to hear the squeak and doesn't try to shread them.

BeagleMum
July 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I actually have 2 red kongs and a black one for Spencer. (He went through 2 puppy ones really fast). The little red one needs to be chucked out but the others are still ok. I just find that Spencer doesn't CHEW on his kong. He just uses his tongue in the hole to try to get out whateve ris in there, even if it is a crunchy treat. With the rawhide, he would actually sit there and chew that's why I had to take them away. He also hated nyla bones. Got one for him and he has never touched it.

Prin
July 12th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Heh heh. I knew there would be a backlash from putting stuff in the kongs... What I suggest is if he fetches, you buy the cool kong, which is a totally different color (it's splashes of color so even if they're color blind it'll look different) and just never put food in that one. That one will be just for playing with. Might work... :confused: :fingerscr

Roxy's_MA
July 12th, 2005, 12:55 PM
If your dog likes edible chew things. I would try greenies. I give Roxy one or two a week. She loves them, they are very easy to digest and they are very good for the teeth and breath.

below is a link to a fact sheet on the product

http://www.kissablepets.com/html/GreeniesFactSht.pdf

SnowDancer
July 12th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Check out site www.WestPawDesign.com. The are updating their website but I think you can still look at it. The product in particular is ZogoFlex - comes in 2 sizes of bone and a ball. They have survived my 21 lb. Eskimo with the teeth of a Rotti. If you e-mail the company they will tell you names of retailers in your area that carry their products. We have Kongs as well, but the bone shaped ones are more flexible - but strong.

kandy
July 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I buy greenies for Hazel and she can eat one in about 30 minutes. If I was looking for something that would keep her busy for a while (without making a frozen kong treat - which I do too) I would buy her a raw knuckle bone from the butcher. There is a butcher shop right behind my husband's store and both Hazel and Parker love the knuckle bones!

gomez
July 12th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Gomez loves the Greenies, but he swallos large chunks of them and then up they come, 4-5 days later, projectile like...! So I'm not sure just how digestible they are...

Prin
July 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM
They're mostly chlorophyll, I believe... Nature's food coloring. Could be that she's just intolerant to them.

I like the dentabones, but there's nothing good in them...