Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roxy at the Races

Roxy's_MA
July 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Here are some pictures of Roxy's first race. She will be racing again at the end of July. This is a blast for the owners and dogs for anyone looking for some fun with their JRT!

Roxy's_MA
July 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM
another one

Prin
July 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Oh, I was so scared that you were bragging about greyhound racing. Whew!!!! That looks like FUN. ;)

Roxy's_MA
July 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
This racing is all about the dogs. The race pictured above was a fundraising demo for the Edmonton HS. All registration fees where donated to the shelter.

jjgeonerd
July 11th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Looks like there is a confused one at the starting line...unless I'm seeing things! Looks like fun! :thumbs up

Roxy's_MA
July 11th, 2005, 04:33 PM
It was a first time race for alot of the dogs including Roxy. Some are more instinctive than others I guess. There is no training, they just show the dog the lure and they chase it. I guess that little guy found something more interesting to sniff at the starting line.

Lissa
September 28th, 2005, 10:26 PM
That is so cute...I saw an event once and they had a neat course, I'm not sure if it was just for fun. But it had some obstacles that you usually see in agility and they said the JRT's really love it. Has Roxy ever done it before?
Sometimes those little one's run so fast that they trip over themselves and at the end when they have to squeeze through the whole! I always worry that someone's going to get stuck...as 3 wiggling bums wedge in the square hole! :D

It's so cute when the novice JRT's don't know what to do and run just walk out of the box and start sniffing, they look so confused!

Roxy's_MA
September 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Yes that one is called the steeple chase. One dog runs the course at a time and they are timed. Roxy participated in this event once this summer. She didn't do the greatest, but it was her first time on the obstacles. The one that gave her problems was the tunnel. They had to run the lure around the coarse a few times to get her to go through. She raced in puppy class all summer so they are pretty understanding about dogs who aren't sure what they are supposed to do.

The other races are the flat races and hurdle races. Next summer I am hoping to get Roxy out to every event in Alberta.

The other event we tried is go to ground. The dog goes through a homeade wooden tunnel with dirt inside. At the end there are some mice in a cage (don't worry the dog can't get them). The dog needs to worry the prey for 30 sec. The dog also need to go into the tunnel on their own, you can't push them in.

Although points are awarded, all the races are for fun. That is what it is all about. Having fun with your doggies.

StaceyB
September 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM
That is so great. I think anything that you can do like this with your dog helps to build an incredible bond with them. Just wonderful.

Lissa
September 29th, 2005, 02:03 PM
You have to take lots of pictures!! I can't wait to see more of Roxy running - she looks to beautiful! I can't imagine how much fun it must be for her!

About the points, is there a real competitive side to this? Do they accumluate? Can Roxy get a title? Sorry, I just don't know how these things work!

It's so neat that these activities exist for certain breeds, it must be so great for the "city dog" to actually go back and be a working dog for fun!
On T.V, they let a doxie run the steeple chase, it was so sweet to see her moving through/over the obstacles at her own "breakneck speed!".

I agree, doing canine sports/activites does create an amazing bond!

Roxy's_MA
September 29th, 2005, 02:57 PM
The events that I participate in are sanctioned by the AJRTC (Alberta Jack Russell Terrier Club). How it works is you get a passport book where they keep a total of all the points for a year. They post the stats on the website. As far as I know there are no provincial titles. You can go onto national competitions, I am not sure if they title the dogs. I think they have top point scores and not titles. I am still new to this, and am learning as I go. I have mostly went to fun days this year. I will learn more next summer when I go to some of the more serious trials. Roxy did recieve a second and third place ribbons for her events. The following are all the different trial events:
Conformation
Racing
Agility
Go-to-Ground
Obedience
Lure Coursing (steeple chase)
Trailing and Locating

If you do decide to get involved in the JRT world, you will quickly realize there are some politics around the breed that I choose to ignore. It has to do with the JRT's being accepted into the CKC, as Parson Russell Terriers. This would result in a more strict breed standard. (Roxy would be considered a Parson with her 14" height and great conformtion). The only problem is that many registered JRT's that don't fit the new standard, which has already been adopted by AKC, will now be considered mutts, as the don't fit the CKC standard. All those short JRT's south of the border can be registered under the Irish Jack Russell Terrier club of America.

The best way to put it is some Jacks may be Parsons, but not all Jacks. The thing is if they aren't Parsons, where would that leave them if CKC adopted the new standard.

The last racing event I went to, one ladies Italian Greyhounds where chasing the lure from the outside of the track.

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Really? The Parsons are standard? They're so big and actually very rare. It took us a while to realize that my dad's was a Parsons. We just thought he was a mix (he's huge compared to other Jacks).

Roxy's_MA
September 29th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Yup, AKC registered Jack are called Parsons. The breeder I bought Roxy off of actully own two AKC registerd parsons. Basically if you live in the US and you have a JRT under 12" he is called a Jack over 14" he is called a Parson.

The following link is a letter written to Agri Canada. It is just a small example of some of the politics, but you get the tone of what is going on.

http://www.cjrta.org/news.htm

The Canadian Jack Russell Terrier Association recently changed their name to the The Canadian Parson Russell Terrier Association. They are against the CKC register. One of the neat thing about Jack Russells is they have only ever been breed for instinct. At one point they where the same breed as fox terriers. The link below give a good history of what happened.

http://www3.telus.net/hfedorv/history.html

Prin
September 29th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Oh, my dad learned quick about instinct.. His doggy has killed 2 (maybe 3?) squirrels before my dad even saw them. And when he had mice in his apartment, the doggy was just waiting, completely focused. You couldn't get him away from the spot where they came out.