Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sam's boo boo

twinmommy
July 10th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Hi guys

My cat,Sam, has this scrape on the back of his neck. It heals, probably itches, and then he scratches it till he scratches the scab off too soon, then we start over. :o

He does really poorly on cortisone and we don't know his age..(stray AND chronic bad gums probably since birth)

He's going to the vet tommorow to get some proper cream/ointment, but even after the vet visit, how can I get him to leave it ALONE??

p.s. forget the Elizabethan, we have a real Houdini on our hands!! (not kidding, he'll choke himself to get out of it. :rolleyes: )

Luba
July 10th, 2005, 08:34 PM
You may wanna check out my thread on hot spots and other disorders.

Has your cat been vaccinated/flea control on the back of the neck?

Pls look at the thread you'll find it very informative, not just for doggies :D

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17077

There's a couple of links there as well and a bit to read up on but you may get something outta it :D

CyberKitten
July 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM
YY has a tiny spot on her nexk that she has twice scratched off (Siamese are noted for having dry skin and this is the one place she managed to find.) It's not easy to say to a caty "don't scratch" tho she will stop when she sees me now. I put betadine on it and that clears it up but fortunately, onky twice has it been bad enough to have to resort to that.

I hope the vet can help you with something that will work for Sam. What about a cat friendly bandage he can't get off? Or is he a Houdini with that too?

Good luck!!!

twinmommy
July 12th, 2005, 11:49 AM
k. I HAVE to post a pic of this!! Sam is now wearing baby clothes!! It's purrrrfect ;) to cover up his scab while it heals.

He's white and the ointment is iodine based :eek: but we trimmed his fur so he won't be too orangy...it is much better today!!! :thumbs up

And he loves his new garb!! thought he'd hate it, but he's got ragdoll in him so as you know, he could care less!! :angel: :D