Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Montreal FINA Aquatics World Championships...

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Next weekend the event begins. From the start, when they were struggling to keep the event in Montreal, my boyfriend and I were adamant about buying tickets, even though we don't swim so much, just to support sports events in Montreal. We're losing so many here because of lack of interest, and it really sucks.

I heard about it on the news again, how they've sold only about half of the tickets in 3 months, and people are worried. I went to see how much the tickets were, and geez!! They're around $45 for somewhat decent seats in a qualifying round, and the diving tickets, which is what I would have wanted to see, are $58 and $94.50 each. Are they kidding? I wanted to support it, but I'm not going to waste 3 dog food bags' worth on a couple of hours of diving.

So much for my support. :rolleyes:

JDG
July 10th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I agree - it sucks how expensive events become. They become only for the elite.

My boss had tickets for the grand prix - 2 tickets valued at $5000 each!

Colin and his friend wanted to go watch an Montreal Al's football game, and crappy seats at the game are $40 something!

I remember in highschool going to blue jays games in toronto with friends, mom would give me $30 bucks. That would be enough for dinner at shopsy's deli, the game, and some snack at the game. I'm only 26 its not THAT long ago!

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I remember going to a Beck concert for $19 including the service charges. And Primus for $15 including the service charges. Then I went to Coldplay 4 years ago, it was $30, and I was outraged... Now they're all over $50!! For nosebleeds. :mad: :eek:

nymph
July 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I'm surprised that we hear so little buzz about the FINA championship. I want to go and cheer for Desparties and the Chinese divers.

nymph
July 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Jul-24 (10m Men) Category 1 diving daypass are now sold out. http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/4.gif

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Have you bought your tickets? Ideally for diving you want to be on the sides, not in front of the boards, but those tickets are $94.50. EACH. I like Alexandre too, but I think I'll watch him live on the CBC instead.

nymph
July 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I bought tickets for semi-finals and finals, $60 for 2 sessions, could be worse. Yup side tickets, but way up there.

I didn't know there is an aquatics center on Ile Notre-Dame. :confused:

Prin
July 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM
LOL that's what all the fuss is about. They built it specifically for this competition.

nymph
July 13th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Holy cow! Aren't Montrealers still paying for the 1976 summer Olympics?

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 04:21 PM
Yep. Till the day they tear down the stadium, we will continue to pay.

I came back here because I had to say-- I see what you mean about the Chinese divers!! Wow.