Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does your pet "change" when on medication?

gomez
July 10th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Our vet has put the puppy Gomez on Synolux for a urinary tract infection -

He is quickly feeling better, but he seems odd somehow...

Apart from sleeping a lot more, which is totally understandable, he is also doing things like licking our feet a great deal, sniffing the street extra effectively, and practicing "creative lead walking"...

Anyone else notice these changes?

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 05:21 PM
A lot of the time, pets change when they're sick simply because we worry more about them. Antibiotics lower energy, but also disrupt the natural bacteria in the body, including on the skin. The itchy feet can be from the pills, but they can also be from allergies. Seasonal allergies are very common in doggies and itchy feet can be a symptom.

What did the vet say?

gomez
July 10th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Hi Prin, he is not licking his feet, he is licking OUR feet!! ;)

The Synulox started yesterday afternoon, and the vet is not worried about Gomez's new eccentricities -

I was just wondering if anyone else sees odd things...

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Do you say "You're such a poor doggy" like you mean it? My doggies get all clingy and mopey when I say that to them.. :) Maybe he's licking your feet to get some sympathy.

gomez
July 10th, 2005, 06:04 PM
oh trust me, getting attention form us is not a problem this puppy has!! Plus he is being extra pampered while he is sick -

but you're right, he also does seem more clingy today than usual...

toby's tracy
July 10th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Our vet has put the puppy Gomez on Synolux for a urinary tract infection -

he is also doing things like licking our feet a great deal, sniffing the street extra effectively,

Anyone else notice these changes?

I have noticed changes like the ones I included in the quote above...but not with my dog! This was a while ago and I do not remember the meds I was on, but it was for an infection (possibly the same kind as Gomez ;) )...

...in any case, I became super sensitive to odors and taste...maybe the licking and sniffing is the same kind of sensitivity. Just an idea...

Have you asked your vet of possible side effects?

gomez
July 11th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Thanks toby's tracy, it's funny what "side effects" some of this stuff has, eh?

I have most certainly spoken with Gomez's vet about it, and like I said above, he is not concerned, his behaviour is pretty harmless, just weird!

He had a walk in the park this morning and now he is.... sleeping!

shocker.... ;)