Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you kill every bug you see? Another lighter thread...

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I just moved near the river and there are BUGS here like I haven't seen in a while. Shads, black flies, mosquitos, house flies, moths, and spiders, spiders, spiders (although they're not true bugs, I'll still include them here..)

I kill so many bibittes every day and I'm starting to feel guilty. So I wonder, do you kill bugs without hesitation, are you selective, or do you let them be?

Shamrock
July 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Prin...you're the best!! You're SO humorous!
I LOVE your polls..

If you were a bug, Prin - I'd say you'd be a firefly.. lighting up all your surroundings. :crazy:

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Aw... :o Thanks. I try. Somehow all the bitterness and rudeness makes me want to bring in some funny. :crazy:

Sneaky2006
July 10th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I chose the last option because if a bug is on me, I just want it OFF... if it dies in the mean time so be it, if it doesn't oh well and I'm outta there.

I've been really freaked out lately being outside at night because we have these beetles that are everywhere. One flew in my hair and when I noticed it, I completely freaked... I still don't know what happened to it, and I don't care! :yuck:

I've been this way since a huge waterbug was sharing the couch with me. I felt something cold on my leg and picked it up (I thought it was a coin), omg I don't think I have ever gotten off the couch so fast. To this day, thinking about it, I can still feel it.... EWWWWWW!

JDG
July 10th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Colin has to kill bugs for me. especially in the bedroom - I can't sleep knowing something is there. . . . :yuck:

If Colin isn't home, Marty will step up to the plate and be the man of the house. :crazy:

He has killed 2 flies and a spider for me. :D :D :D

Luba
July 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM
I only kill centepedes well actually someone else has to kill them.

Everything else gets trapped in a shoe box and I let it go outside!!!

Even these big creepie things coming in my house....

chico2
July 10th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Well,I am the one saying I don't kill anything and I don't,I catch flies in a glass and let them out,or whatever else I want out.Spiders can stay,I don't care..a few unfortunate once have ended up as a tid-bit for Vinnie :D
Luba knows the one bug with all the long legs I call a"monster-bug"it's a centipeed(sp?)personally I would not go near it,even to kill it..they simply yuck me completetly out,but hubby will oblige and do the evil deed,or one of the cats.However I would not exactly call them people :D
Luba,we need that picture again,just looking at the picture gives me the creepshttp://bestsmileys.com/insects/3.gif

Luba
July 10th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Anita do yu really wanna do this to yourself LOL .....okay here it goes!!

Centipedes are relatively long lived when compared to their insect cousins, the European Lithobius forficatus can live for 5-6 years.
http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/centip.htm

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/centiphouse.jpg

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/CENTIP3.gif

House Centipedes can inflict a slightly painful bite, although they rarely seem to bite humans.

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
You ruined my thread. It was about such a good topic and then you had to put nasty bugs in it. :D What a creepy sob. My man would have to get that one too...

You all know that this thread is multiple choice right? You can pick more than one- like they can stay in the corner until your SO gets them...

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 05:48 PM
OMG look at this-- you can buy models!!! (don't download it it's $127) http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/227644

JDG
July 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM
OMG look at this-- you can buy models!!! (don't download it it's $127) http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/227644

Thats a 3D model used in animation. . . . Colin downloads those all the time (not bugs though :yuck: )

chico2
July 10th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Thank's Luba..looking at it made me feel like something was crawling up my leg,I would die if one of those did :evil:
I see them mostly downstairs,it takes me 15min just to slowly creep down the stairs checking every nook and cranny,just to go and do the litterboxes.
So far this summer,Vinnie has killed 3 and hubby 4....waaay too many for my comfort,if I am alone at home I drop the phonebook on them and leave it there until hubby gets home,I cannot even look at them dead :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM
My kids won't let me kill bugs, we put them outside, I do squish the misquitos thought when they are not looking. Whenever I go to put my lunch in the tupperwear there is usually a bug in their that my kids have collected. They also try to bring worms in as pets as well. My oldest son wants a pet trantula.

SnowDancer
July 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Bugs are very attracted to me. They always seem to wait until my husband is missing in action to come out to play and if possible jump at my face or bite me. I specifically hate spiders - was covered with them at age 5 and 50 years later the memory is still with me. The centipedes are rampant this year - and seem to be more resistant to my at hand attack weapon. Then there are cut worms - bodies seem to be covered with armour. Every night before bed after having killed a few I check the ceilings and baseboard areas and have yet not to find a spider or centipede lurking. I have told my husband under no circumstances to EVER - should he find one - flush it down the toilet - they can swim - as can ants and for those of you who have suffered ant attacks you will know what I mean. If I can reach the centipede or spider I soak a paper towel, dip it in baking soda and give it my best shot. The baking soda seems to stun them a bit. It is hard with pets because it makes it impossible to put down bug killers - although I have found that the bugs at my house recognize them anyway. I did live for 2 months without a dog last year. Next weapon of choice is a Swiffer mop without a cloth just drag it back and forth and pray - and even that doesn't work. But does it always have to happen at night - and they are getting bigger too. And of course there is always the thrill of the Queen Ant. I do regret though killing a lady bug that came across my dinner plate 40 years ago - now that is guilt. My Eskie alerts me to bugs and then hides behind me - well he is an "alert" dog - my Dachshunds always took the lead.

Luba
July 10th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Sorry Anita but u asked for it LOL

Safyre
July 10th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I kill (some)spiders, flys, bees.

I run away from: moths, centipeids, green spiders, black/grey freaky looking spiders, GRASS HOPPERS, and ... darn it, those flying things that are not butterflies .. have four wings, longbody ... phooey can't think of the name cause they scare the p*ss outta me

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Dragonflies? I used to collect them when I was little. My buddies.

Safyre
July 10th, 2005, 11:06 PM
THANK YOU! That was driving me nuts!
I was going to say .. those stupid things Kate Blanchet had in her hair in Titanic... but didn't know if that would help anyone give me the word!

And they are scary, i run away from them!

Prin
July 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I love them. I used to find the ones that got hit by cars on the road and nurse them back to health. They eat the bad bugs. I really like the blue ones. :love:

Safyre
July 11th, 2005, 12:17 AM
*pats Prin on the head* ok, you have fun being the creepy crawly Doctor.
I will be busy standing in the corner, cowering.

Prin
July 11th, 2005, 12:30 AM
LOL, no you'll be the driver.. :D

Safyre
July 11th, 2005, 12:31 AM
yeah, yer probably right about that..
however.. i do try not to kill things while driving ... except ants, ppl get mad when i try to avoid those. :)

Prin
July 11th, 2005, 12:33 AM
LOL Dodging ants, eh? I think you don't sleep enough.

Safyre
July 11th, 2005, 12:55 AM
long running joke in my family .... and i don't sleep enough

Cactus Flower
July 11th, 2005, 03:17 AM
How come it says you'll be able to see the member names beside the choices on this poll, but no names show up?

I voted that my answer wasn't on the poll!

I only kill those that can actually harm my son. That means all poisonous crawlies get the death penalty, and others get carried outside.

happycats
July 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I do the "catch and release" thing :D except mosquitos, I kill them, I hate them (nasty blood suckers) :mad:!!

And one day I did vacuum up all the spiders in the house :o (I was bitten by one in the night and my hand swelled up so bad, I couldn't even use it) so decided to kill them all :evil: .

I love dragonflies too Prin!! I love those big giant black ones!!

I HATE Dock spiders!!! EWWW huge, creepy, ugly spiders!! but I would be to afraid to kill them, I run instead :o

Prin, great thread!

happycats
July 11th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Here is a picture of a Dock Spider! EWWWW!!

Lizzie
July 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I only kill the ones in my home....and the ones that accidentally end up under my shoe when walking around outside :) :D

Dogastrophe
July 11th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Inside the house I kill them all if they are in easy reach, otherwise the vaccuum or the dogs get them. I tell my wife that I want to stick one or two on toothpicks and place them around the house as a warning to the others but so far she has not gone along with my idea. :crazy:

BMDLuver
July 11th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I had to select two choices. I will kill mosquitos and houseflies/deerflies/horseflies but I won't kill spiders as they creep me out. We don't kill spiders if they're outside, just indoor visitors are not welcome. :)

Prin
July 11th, 2005, 12:05 PM
WHY do you guys keep posting pictures!?!??? :D I shoudl have put a "Graphic" thing in the title to warn myself... ;)

happycats, that spider doesn't do justice to dock spiders. It doesn't show how mutatedly huge they are. I found out a few years ago that they can WALK ON WATER!!!!!!!! I'll never swim again. We knocked him into the water and he walked to the shore. He ended up with 2 legs and was still alive. Nuff bout that, I'm so itchy. :eek: :yuck:

Cactus Flower, you have to press on one of the numbers for the # of votes and you'll go to a new screen with the names.

Luba
July 11th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Ok Prin you and I are having it out nose to nose, because of you I had nightmares last night....yes it's all your fault!!

I was casually swimming in a local indoor school pool when out of bloody nowhere came this GIANT I mean GIGANTIC awful looking flying thing. It was monsterous, about 25 feet tall and 15 feet wide...huge body with pulsing veins and see through skin. Transparent wings , must have had like 6 sets of wings. IT WAS BIG and it scared the carp outta me..got outta the pool with everyone else..we ran. IT CHASED US!!

I went through a narrow staircase it couldn't get up..so it took it's wings off to get through. Chased me up to a room, backed me up to a window where I started to climb out then WOKE UP!

MOMMIEEEEEE!

It's all your fault Prin !!! :p

Prin
July 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
LOL. And we thought you were a toughie. Bring it on!!!!

Tonight have dreams about scorpion-looking stinging bugs that like to live in pillows. :evil:

Luba
July 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM
You stop that right now missy or I'll give this winged creature your address LOL

:evil:

jessi76
July 11th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I kill some, I intruct my bf to kill some, I intruct the cats to DO THEIR DAMN JOB and kill some, my puppy kills some, I vacuum some, I even cup some I'm really creeped out by... (my bf knows something must be in the upsidedown teacup on the floor), I boycott rooms in my house, I've even gone so far as to call a neighbor to come kill a spider in my bf's absence (a spider who's web went from my roof (2 floor house) to the ground. I was afraid my cats would get stuck and Charlotte would eat them)

dogznfish
July 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Ok....call me weird but I relocate the spiders in my yard to better spots that aren't in my way. In fact I feed them grasshoppers. The big red garden spider in my compost bin does a great job of eating the hoppers!

The only ones I really worry about are mozzies (die skeeter die!!), black & brown widows and brown recluses. House spiders I'll move outside. I'm not to bad on my spider ID so others that I recognize usually get left alone.

I occasionally get black widows in my garden shed, they get the Raid treatment. We have tonnes of black widows here at work though.

Best spider site in the world:
http://www.rochedalss.eq.edu.au/orbweaver.htm

sammiec
July 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM
EWWWWW LUBA!!! That bug is disgusting (both are actually) the one on your window, I get someone to kill those for me, they totally creep me out!!!!

Earwigs are the worst! I am so afraid of those. They don't stand a chance, DH kills them too.

I can handle most of the othe kinds, spiders I'll trap and let out...

This thread has given me the heeby geebies!! Yuck! :yuck:

Bearsmom
July 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I scream like a schoolgirl at the sight of spiders (my 2 yr old son kills them for me), and all other bugs must die.

doggy lover
July 11th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Biters, spiders, flies all types and if I see a cockroach at work that too. I don't dislike bugs the other ones I let go, and I love butterflies and moths they are pretty.

kandy
July 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I kill anything that I think might bite me and any spider that lets me see him. I absolutely hate spiders - they creep me out!!! If I see the spider before it gets on me, I'll kill it - unless it's big enough that I think it might bite me through my shoe, and then it's time for hubby to do one of those things that hubbies come in handy for - killing bugs!! My husband and his buddies used to think it was funny to make me think a spider was on me (I scream, jump and run from the house - not necessarily in that order) until I knocked one guy out of his chair flinging my arms around! :D Anyway, it's so weird that Prin started this thread because Saturday I found a huge brown recluse in my bedroom, on the floor under the blanket that I threw off in the middle of the night. :eek: I'm so freaked out that I just stare at it. It starts to move towards the edge of the bedframe and I think, oh crap - it's gonna get away! I try to stomp on it and it runs (fast sombit*h!) around the edge of the frame. I start screaming for hubby but when I didn't get an immediate reply I run for the kitchen hoping to find some 409 (I read that it works better than bug killer) but all I found was clorox cleanup. I run back to the bedroom where the spider is still right by the bedframe. I start spraying him with the bleach - he's running down the length of the bedframe with me right behind him, spraying like a maniac. He ran behind the headboard of the bed. When hubby came back - first I tore him a new one for not being there when I needed him LOL - and then I made him pull out both nightstands and get behind the bed to either finish off the critter or make sure that he was gone. We didn't find him, so I am hoping that he crawled back down the hole he came out of and went home and infected his whole family and they all died of bleach poisoning, every last one of them!!!! :evil: Then hubby tells me that he saw a 'cricket' in the bedroom a couple of days before that but he didn't kill it. I am sure that he saw the spider and just thought it was a cricket because it was so dam big! I told him that as a general rule, if it is a bug in the bedroom, he should kill it no matter what he thinks it is. As far as spiders go, if I see em in the garden or somewhere outside - I won't kill em. If they let me see em in MY house - they are dead spiders walking cuz I will hunt them down. :evil:

heidiho
July 11th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I kill them all,i have am deathly afraid of any kind of bug,hate them,they al get killed............

Luba
July 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM
But what if one of them looked up at you Heidi and started talking? Would you still kill it? :eek:

If I have nightmares tonight be prepared, I'm coming after someone on pets.ca LOL

heidiho
July 11th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Now that is funny,the day that happens,nope i wouldnt kill it,i would be a millionare,,,, :D :D

Luba
July 11th, 2005, 07:21 PM
What if you were the only one to hear it :eek: :eek: :eek:

Prin
July 11th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I actually had a dream about a dopey talking spider once. It was funny.

Luba
July 11th, 2005, 09:56 PM
And what exactly did Charlotte tell you ?

Bearsmom
July 11th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Charlotte woulda been toast in our house.....

susieqt
July 11th, 2005, 10:47 PM
The only bugs I kill are mosqutoes (and fleas, of course!). All other bugs I let live; I get angry if I see a kid step on an ant!

pags
July 11th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Ew. I had to select the last one...

I try my very very best not to kill any critters. I figure the lizards and the frogs and toads and birdies may need them on the menu outside... And there are so many that help out in the garden so I let them be. Inside -- I prefer to repel the things (I posted before about the electronic pest repellents...) and I actually welcome the occasional wolf spider as they eat many more unpleasant bugs and spiders... If they get out of hand though -- I round them up and set them free...

BUT There is an exception. Just one. I am phobic. And I mean PHOBIC about cockroaches. I live down south where it's warm and damp almost year round... The cockroaches are enormous. I'm not talking about little crawly bugs.. I'm talking about these huge 2 inch long things.. And they're smart. Too smart. They stalk me, I tell you!! I can't stand them. If I see one I completely freak out and I will not sleep until my husband is able to bring me its lifeless body and prove that it is dead. (Even then I have nightmares and fear that it will crawl out of the wastebasket or back up the toilet drain or maybe drag itself back into the house somehow to get its revenge....)

This time of year they're allllll over our garage at night... Therefore -- we can go nowhere at night. I refuse to go out to get in the car. I may not be able to see them... but I know they are there... It's too much!! Argh.. I'm breaking into a cold sweat just thinking about them. Ack! Ack! *faint*

Angeleyes1437
July 11th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I love them. I used to find the ones that got hit by cars on the road and nurse them back to health. They eat the bad bugs. I really like the blue ones. :love:

Thats so funny Prin, I used to skim them out of my pool and dry them off until they could fly... with a cool blow dryer on low (might have been better off air drying, lol). Those who didn't make it or were already dead got a proper burial... otherwise they went on their way with a good lesson leared, lol!

chico2
July 12th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Oh no!!Cockroaches,forgot about them,but we don't really have any here,at least not in my house...
Whenever we go south,I have to check every nook and cranny,they just give me the creeps.In Jamaica they were the size of a baby-bird and very smart :evil:
In South Carolina at the hotel,they called them Palmetto-bugs,but I KNOW they were cockroaches,not big ones though...
Luba,to me all spiders are Charlotte :D and they do have a permanent lease in my house,they are harmless..but I am constantly sweeping down their handiwork,so they might decide to move :D

Angeleyes1437
July 12th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Oh no!!Cockroaches,forgot about them,but we don't really have any here,at least not in my house...
Whenever we go south,I have to check every nook and cranny,they just give me the creeps.In Jamaica they were the size of a baby-bird and very smart :evil:
In South Carolina at the hotel,they called them Palmetto-bugs,but I KNOW they were cockroaches,not big ones though...
Luba,to me all spiders are Charlotte :D and they do have a permanent lease in my house,they are harmless..but I am constantly sweeping down their handiwork,so they might decide to move :D

I used to let spiders live... until one bit me. Now I kill the ones big enough to do damage... or else they get put outside. I know... but I can't sleep now knowing they can bite me!

As for other bugs it all depends. Some made my buddy list, like lightning bugs, lady bugs, praying mantis, grasshoppers, dragonflies, anything similar to that.... oh butterflies... but Max likes to chase them!! I just hope he doesn't catch one. My sisters JRT got one and ripped it's wing off in mid air. I felt so bad, I had to kill it so it wouldn't suffer... I cried!

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I would probably check myself into the hospital... :eek: :eek:

Prin
July 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM
My talking dream spider wasn't Charlotte. It was a dopey man. He was like, "Should I go over here? Dum-dee-dum-dum." (He sang as he strolled...)

I would let spiders live if it weren't for those stories about spiders biting people and laying eggs in the wound...

Sneaky2006
July 12th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I would let spiders live if it weren't for those stories about spiders biting people and laying eggs in the wound...That's one of my fears... or any bug for that matter going in my ear and doing the same thing. Seriously freaks me out just to think about it. :yuck: :sad:

Angeleyes1437
July 12th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I would let spiders live if it weren't for those stories about spiders biting people and laying eggs in the wound...

That's one of my fears... or any bug for that matter going in my ear and doing the same thing. Seriously freaks me out just to think about it.

Thats true... I didn't have any eggs in my bite- but I got a nasty rash and had to go to the doctor for months! It was horrible!!! Seriously, don't take me lightly- that was a HORRID experience.

When I was the network admin for a law firm years back I would hear crazy stories. One man got a roach stuck in his ear for months! Another had maggot eggs in her tounge from a cardboard cut with such on it. Urgh... I need to stop- sorry! I've heard a lot of them.

My boyfriend said a lot of people come into his ER with bugs in their ears and that is a pain to get out. How gross!!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 12th, 2005, 03:25 PM
=dogznfish I occasionally get black widows in my garden shed, they get the Raid treatment. We have tonnes of black widows here at work though.

we have black widows here in the Okanagan for that reason I tell my kids not to touch any spiders. I havent seen one at our house. But we went to friends house and she had one in her kitchen window. We helped her kill it. Black widows freak me out!

Angeleyes1437
July 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM
=dogznfish

we have black widows here in the Okanagan for that reason I tell my kids not to touch any spiders. I havent seen one at our house. But we went to friends house and she had one in her kitchen window. We helped her kill it. Black widows freak me out!

Oh maaaaan! thats worse than a rash... I would be SO grossed out! I don't think anyone is going to touch spiders or even let them live after this thread! LOL!

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I am gonna have to say cockroaches are the worst.................

doggy lover
July 12th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I agree with you Heidiho, we had them at work and they gross me out ok............

pags
July 12th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Argh I still haven't even recovered from posting about my fear of cockroaches. Ew ew ew ew ew!!!! When I was little our house was low to the ground and surrounded by pine trees.. I don't think it helped that it was all cedar siding either.. I don't know WHAT it was but there were SO MANY of those huge cockroaches. They were mostly outside but when one got inside he acted like he ruled the place.... So somehow this contributed to these recurring nightmares as a child of being carried off by person-sized cockroaches in the middle of the night -- or worse -- in broad daylight!!! And there were all of those times in my life when I would see one somewhere and try to be calm and tell myself -- he isn't going to bother YOU.. but sure enough I would wake up in the middle of the night to find that it had made its way to the bedroom ceiling and was dangling precariously over MY BED. Nooooooooo! Going to go hyperventilate now...

heidiho
July 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM
They are so nasty ever watch fear factor when they eat the african hissing cockroaches ALIVE

twinmommy
July 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM
They are so nasty ever watch fear factor when they eat the african hissing cockroaches ALIVE

That's nothing,baby, you should eat my cooking!!!!

fear factor....HAH! ;) LOL

Prin
July 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM
LOL you guys are funny. My aunt in Atlanta has crickets that are the size of a medium-sized toad. I was fine with them until one landed on my leg with its suction cup feet...

Why do we live here? When I was in Ireland, I sat on the beach and there were no bugs anywhere. No people either... They don't have screens in their windows... I hate screens. Do the makers of screens really think you can see outside as if it wasn't even there? They're BLACK!!! Of course you can tell there is a screen there. Hmph.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 12th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Just think after we are all gone cockroaches will rule the earth!

I actually lived in an apartment in the west end in Vancouver the roaches were terrible the landlords were constantly spraying to get rid of them, but they are indestructable. I would go into my kitchen and turn on the light and they would be scurrying around the clock on the stove inside the glass yuck. I moved and ended throughing away every small appliance I had as they were inside them. Thank God I haven't seen a cockroach in a few years.

I was also driving home about a week ago, and a gigantic black spider dropped down onto my lap and had been spinning a web on the roof of my car. I thought I was going to have a panic attack. Luckily I was almost home and made it into the drive way. Then I squished the spider and got rid of the web.

melanie
July 14th, 2005, 06:25 PM
sadly for them, if they enter my living domain or house they must die, hubby will take them out if he is here but sadly any spider coming in here must die, its jsut tooooooo grose, and we have 'red backs' all over the house, so they have to die or i will........

i had a big giant bush spider on me last week while collecting wood, i had a right caniption and near had to be sedated, boy did i scream for hours......ewwwww

my boss has 'bird eating spiders' in his bedroom at work, he lives in the office. they are huge and do actually eat birds, they come from queensland, one day i will accidentally drop a bug bomb in their cages i swear, if anythign touches me at work i often scream, so does the other bloke i work with, lol....

but in the drought you should not kill spiders, if yo usee three spiders in the house in one day it means you will get rain, so you should not kill them (so my crazed maniacle mother says anyway)... perhaps i am why the drought is on, i kill too many spiders.......

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 07:21 PM
That is so funny Melanie-- I was actually scared to read your post because I totally forgot about possible environmental consequences of killing all the bugs we see. It's nice that someone on the board scares me straight. :D

dogznfish
July 15th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Do you put fresh chestnuts around the house? My aunt lives in Kamloops and swears by this that they help keep spiders away, something about a natural deterrent in the chestnut. But they have to be fresh, not roasted ones.

My aunt had a sore on her stomach for months and had to go for a tonne of tests before they found out it was a spider bite. Do you get recluses or hobos in the Okanagon?

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 02:25 AM
dogznfish-- thanks for giving me a new crop of nightmares!!!! :rolleyes:

doggy lover
July 18th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I came home from the cottage this weekend and raccoons had gotten into the green garbage bin in my back yard. So I go out to clean it up and there are hundreds of MAGGOTS. Yuck they make my skin crawl, I had to take a shower, too gross. :eek:

Prin
July 18th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I had that experience last week. I have a separate bin for um.. doggy waste materials... and it was full... FULL of wormy maggotty things. CREEPY!! I had rubber gloves on and I still sanitized my body like madness. What an icky species. Seriously.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 18th, 2005, 10:47 PM
=Dogznfish

Do you put fresh chestnuts around the house? My aunt lives in Kamloops and swears by this that they help keep spiders away, something about a natural deterrent in the chestnut. But they have to be fresh, not roasted ones.
No but I will try that, truthfully I havent actually seen a black widow at our house but our next store neighbour had a nest of them under their porch, so I am sure they are around.

My aunt had a sore on her stomach for months and had to go for a tonne of tests before they found out it was a spider bite. Do you get recluses or hobos in the Okanagon? Your poor aunt hope she is okay. Do you mean like homeless people, yes there is quite a few of them downtown. There seems to more now I think perhaps they are kicking them out of Vancouver to prepare for the Olympics.

kandy
July 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I am really glad that we don't have cockroaches here. The first time I really saw a cockroach was in Hawaii - and it was on the wall in our hotel room! :yuck: The biggest one I ever saw was while I was in Cancun in December. I swear it was the size of my fist! :eek: It was on the wall right below our balcony. My mom and I stared at it all afternoon to make sure that it didn't come onto the balcony! :p

If I was on fear factor, I could probably eat the madagascar hissing cockroaches but what really freaked me out was the african cave dwelling spiders! Just thinking about them makes me shiver and want to ralph my breakfast! :yuck:

I do like dragonflies - if I find one that is drowning in the lake, I will hold it until it's wings dry off and it can fly away. We saw a red dragonfly at the lake this weekend. I've never seen a red one before.

dogznfish
July 19th, 2005, 02:16 PM
=Dogznfish

Your poor aunt hope she is okay. Do you mean like homeless people, yes there is quite a few of them downtown. There seems to more now I think perhaps they are kicking them out of Vancouver to prepare for the Olympics.

Heheheh

Sorry, I mean Brown Recluse Spiders and Hobo Spiders. Both are extremely poisonous that cause necrotizing of the bite site which can take several years to heal. Bites from them are very rare and fortunately I live in an area where they are low in population. You're more likely to see one of the non poisonous relatives than the actual spiders above.

I only ask because of websites I have seen that are tracking the hobo spiders moving north through the western US and Western Canada They are still quite rare with only one hobo bite being reported in alberta since 1996.

Writing4Fun
July 19th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Sorry, people, but anything with more than 4 legs is not welcome in my house. :yuck: I've actually grown a bit of a backbone because of my children - I don't want them to inherit my blinding fear of bugs (spiders & bees in particular). So I've been "offing" my own bugs lately, unless they're too big to handle. Then I have to wait for hubby to get home, or see if the dog would be interested (but, if it doesn't fly, it's not worth her effort :rolleyes: ).

The mere thought of poinsonous insects making their way to my peaceful little neck of the woods has me quaking in my boots. Please, say it ain't so, Dogznfish!!! :eek: (that's reason number 1 why I could never move to Australia, btw :D )

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 19th, 2005, 09:26 PM
=dogznfishSorry, I mean Brown Recluse Spiders and Hobo Spiders Okay I did think it was a bit off topic - :o I don't think I have seen any hobos or recluses Vernon, but now I am paranoid.

Prin
July 20th, 2005, 02:18 AM
So I've been "offing" my own bugs lately, unless they're too big to handle. Then I have to wait for hubby to get home, or see if the dog would be interested (but, if it doesn't fly, it's not worth her effort :rolleyes: ).
I like how you make it sound like a mob hit. "Yeah, fageddaboutit, Stella, the Black Widow, she got whacked."

kandy
July 20th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I'm still searching my bedroom every night for that stupid brown recluse I saw last week. Hubby wasn't too worried about it until I showed him pictures on the web of what happens to your skin after they bite you and then he was all for pulling out the nightstands to look behind the bed! Every night when I get into bed, I have to repeat to myself that there are no spiders in my bedroom, no spiders in my bedroom, no spiders in my bedroom.......

pags
July 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I'm still laughing at researchbulls post!!!!

Apparently brown recluses are incredibly prevalent in my area. Yay!! I know many many people who've been bitten and have the ugly scars to prove it. If anybody at this house leaves their shoes or gardening gloves or anything of that nature outside for even an hour or so -- we toss 'em in the trash. It's just not worth the chance of one of those buggers surviving the rinse cycle in the washing machine!

WhKnight
July 21st, 2005, 08:57 PM
I used to be deathly afraid of spiders, until one year when I lived in an apartment with *very* poor sealing or something (there wasn't even a floor under the kitchen sink...I used to put something in front of that cabinet door because I was scared to death the cats would get in there and just disappear). At that point, I started forcing myself to rescue the little guys and take them outside. The only poisonous spiders around here are brown recluse and black widow; since I think I know what those look like, I don't worry too much about the other ones.

I do kill ticks, and freely, usually by drowning them when I throw my clothes in the tub after camping or hiking. Also cockroaches...EWWWWW. I try very hard not to kill wasps or bees, but stay away from them since I was once allergic. I once had a wasp on my car window (outside) and was worried that it would blow off and get killed when I got on the highway, so I pulled off the next exit and managed to scrape it off without injuring it or making it angry. I was pretty proud of myself for that one.

I have a somewhat "crazy" reputation at work after they found a spider on one of the units. They were all set to kill it, but I captured it in a coffee cup (with a lid, thank goodness) and took it outside. I have been "the one who rescued the spider" ever since.

chico2
July 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
WHKnight,you sound like me,I too a long time ago was afraid of spiders,now I say "hello"when I see one and leave it alone :D mind you we have no poisonous ones..
I always get this weird feeling in my head,when I am about to kill some little creature,desperatly trying to get away....that he does not want to die any more than me and I catch it and put it outside :eek:
I"rescue"bugs in my pool every day.....Yeah,I too have a reputation for being weird :D :D

kandy
July 22nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
I try very hard not to kill wasps or bees, but stay away from them since I was once allergic. I once had a wasp on my car window (outside) and was worried that it would blow off and get killed when I got on the highway, so I pulled off the next exit and managed to scrape it off without injuring it or making it angry. I was pretty proud of myself for that one.

I too try to stay away from bees, but they love, love, love me. I swear that if there is even one bee within a mile radius, it will find me and chase me. I try to just sit still and not threaten it but I think the stupid things are trying to land on my head or something. Sometimes we get really, really big ones that sound like a helicopter when they fly by you. One time while driving with my window down a big bee flew in and landed in my lap. I totally freaked out! :eek: I came to a screeching halt, jumped out of the truck, jumping around in the street - screaming the whole time. That was embarrasing! I also broke my sunglasses in the frey. :p Yep, gotta love bees.

Prin
July 22nd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Some types of blue cheese have the same chemical that is the alarm pheromone of bees... So do you eat blue cheese?