Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who Inspires You?

Shamrock
July 9th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Well, its been a pretty bleak week overall, I'd say. :sad:
Terror and tragedy strikes London, fear and loathing in Canada as the evil one is sprung.. and locally - crime and murder dominate the news.

The weather on the West Coast has been exceptionally dull - almost a record for the "least" amount of sunshine last month, and July shaping up no better. :rolleyes:

And here, at Pets.ca... a certain amount of discord and disagreement.

So, I've been thinking of inspirational things to lift my spirits.
Not in a religious sense, but of people who inspire us with their achievements, strength, courage or insight.

We all have many people that we respect and admire, both on a personal and public level, and for various reasons.

Who inspires you the most? And why?
Or do you gain all the inspiration you need from within?

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I was scrolling through all the people that have affected me living and dead, and I would have to say, as cheesy as it is, it's my boyfriend. Before him, I never had any dreams. I had no faith in humanity. I didn't trust a soul. I never believed that I was entitled to be happy. He has supported me through school with patience and faith in me. I have never failed at anything I have put my mind to (except getting into vet school), but he made me believe that I can actually do anything and he puts the pressure on me to do it. Plus he "lets" me have my doggies despite having horrible allergies to dogs because he understands what they mean to me.

It's like Jack Nicholson's line in As Good As It Gets, he makes me want to be a better woman.

Writing4Fun
July 9th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I'd have to say it's my sister. Despite all she's been through, she still has the sunniest disposition I've ever seen in another human being. She dealt with the divorce all on her own, even when her ex was being - um - "not nice", and now manages her household on one income, a mortgage, car loan, a large dog, a lizard, a bird, an aquarium, one teenager (and we all know how much they can eat :rolleyes: ) and another on the way to pre-teenhood, a constant gaggle of kids & teens coming in and out of her home on a daily basis, a job that has her working most nights and week-ends but doesn't pay overtime (she's salaried)...I would have lost my mind a loooong time ago.

Shamrock
July 9th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Aww, Prin - that is so great! That is wonderful that he brings out the best in you with love and support.

Lucky you - and lucky him! :love:

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks, Shamrock. The funny thing is I never wanted a boyfriend to begin with...

lilith_rizel
July 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Prin,

I don't think that is cheesy at all. In fact my husband is my inspiration. Within the 3 years we have been together, I have done things that I never thought I would or could do, and he was the only reason why I was able to do it. He stood beside me every step of the way. And I know it is always going to be like that. I support him in all his choices, as he does with mine.

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 09:15 PM
It's funny Lilith-- I've been with him for 4 years, we got a house, and I can't imagine getting married anytime soon or having kids. It's funny because we're all so different. After 4 years, I still feel like I have so much more to learn about him. (Maybe it's the result of having divorced parents-- you doubt forever if you can really get along with one person that long to make those kind of commitments. :D )

Safyre
July 9th, 2005, 10:07 PM
My mom is my inspiration...
My dad left when I was 6, my mom within 6 months got diagnosed with Hepititis and was sick for quite a time. One of my worst childhood memories is of her in bed, looking a shade of yellow no human should ever be. She lost her job, being so sick. No money to support us, and no help from my dad. Shortly there after, I believe within the year, she got diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Went through Radiation, and Chemo .. she thought she beat it ... but not so, chemo again.

She couldn't get a new job, being very weak, and having problems with her back. Things were starting to look better as she met my current Step dad, and then my father made us loose our house, by not paying the mortgage he was supposed to.

She didn't complain once, told us we were moving to a new place to start life anew, where we didn'th ave to worry about her being ill ,and could be happy.
She is very strong. She doesn't like to talk about this history, it was a very bad time for her, but I think about it a lot, how much she has survived.
I am happy to say that she is now, cancer free.

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I am inspired daily by the children I treat. Many if them have bleak diagnoses and they face life with grace, courage and even humour!! They can be very ill, dying even, yet fight to struggle and continue. I am consistently humbled by their desire and will to live no matter how painful life is or what next body part must be amputated or whatever happens. They strive to just be kids and do the usual activities (including school!) others their age do. I suffer from chronic pain that is sometimes unbearable but their very presence -quietly putting up the good fight or going very nosily into that dark night - every day - makes it seem so silly to be concerned about since I still have my life and I am still breathing. And I still have my work which in a way is a mission - to keep more children alive and continue the research work that I do and ensure that the doctors of tomorrow will BE caring and skilled whrn they arrive in communities across Canada.

jjgeonerd
July 9th, 2005, 11:13 PM
+1 to CK's post! :thumbs up

I'm inspired by anyone I see that has has a physical or mental disability and is carrying on.

Anytime I start feeling sorry for myself I just think that I am physically and mentally (some may disagree :rolleyes: ) healthy and therefore...LUCKY, and glad to be alive!

Rick C
July 9th, 2005, 11:17 PM
"Dear Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dogs think I am." - Anonymous prayer.

My dogs with their innocence and inner peace inspire me.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Very true Rick, doggies have so much to teach us about humanity.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 10th, 2005, 12:06 AM
The biggest inspiration to me is my sister. She was diagnosed with Pancreas Cancer at xmas last year. With advanced treatment she is beating it. It has brought our whole family together, whenever I want to gripe about the little things I think of her and I am thankful for what I have. Last time I saw her she had just finished her treatment a few days before I could tell she felt like hell, but she managed to cook a whole roastbeef dinner for me and my mom.

lilith_rizel
July 10th, 2005, 11:59 AM
It's funny Lilith-- I've been with him for 4 years, we got a house, and I can't imagine getting married anytime soon or having kids. It's funny because we're all so different. After 4 years, I still feel like I have so much more to learn about him. (Maybe it's the result of having divorced parents-- y :D e kind of commitments. :D )

I know what you mean about the divorce, my parents jut got one a year ago after being married for 20 years.

James and I were lucky though. We were great friends our junior and senior year in highschool, and we also have lived in the same town and have known each other since we were 4 years old. So that is really good. We knew each other really well. I guess that is why we only dated 9 months before we got married. LOL. Guess my dad knew we were going to get married one day, even when hubby was just my friend and nothing more......

Lissa
July 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM
When I first saw the title of this thread, I was thinking you meant people who are "famous" for things they have acheived. So I was going to say Terry Fox and Jane Goodall.
Then when I realized everyone was saying people they knew, my animals came to mind.
Then I realized I should be saying my Mum because she has done so much for me - I guess I still take her for granted! I am going to go and giver her a hug now!

Cactus Flower
July 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM
My Mom and my son share the number one spot. My Mom is the strongest woman I know- has been through so much, yet remains sweet and compassionate, not bitter or calloused. My son is the brightest light in my life, and I only need to look at him to be inspired to try to better myself and the world around us.

But my friends deserve mention, too. I have the best friends on earth, who make me laugh when I don't think I can even smile (Sneaky, you'd better be reading this!), who say "I understand" (and prove it) when I'm sure nobody will, and who always share a perspective I hadn't thought of, when I believe I've covered every angle.

I am beyond blessed.

JDG
July 10th, 2005, 03:18 PM
My Nanny (grandmother)

She is the strong matiarch of our family, keeping everyone together.

She continues to educate herself. She has 6 university degrees! The last one she got when she was 71!

Her professional career was spent teaching sign-language to autistic children in Toronto.

She travels - and loves London as much as I do! She enjoys finer things like a nice bottle of wine in the evening.

Nanny is still sharp as a tack (at 78!) She embrasses technology. . . She is computer savvy (even using webcams and MSN)

She is thoughful, concerned and interested in everyone's lives - and never forgets a birthday, holiday or anniversary with a card (always covered in Butterfly stickers)

She is the person I want to be. . . . .

Prin
July 10th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I know what you mean about the divorce, my parents jut got one a year ago after being married for 20 years.

James and I were lucky though. We were great friends our junior and senior year in highschool, and we also have lived in the same town and have known each other since we were 4 years old. So that is really good. We knew each other really well. I guess that is why we only dated 9 months before we got married. LOL. Guess my dad knew we were going to get married one day, even when hubby was just my friend and nothing more......
My parents got divorced when I was 2, so I got used to being independent really quick. But when my dad tells stories about how they had my brother and waited over a year before getting married, just to be sure they were doing the right thing-- it's a bit scary. It wasn't a stupid decision at the time... That's what is good about having outsiders like your dad, who just know what is going on better then you do from the inside. The only thing is, my outsiders still think I'm going to marry my high school best friend-- even though he stopped talking to me about 6 years ago... :rolleyes:

Shamrock
July 10th, 2005, 04:32 PM
These are wonderful stories all, thanks for sharing these! I actually 'did" mean both, Lisa, and for public figures, I agree that the Terry Fox and his legacy is truly inspirational.
I would like to also add that Chuck Cadman, local MP for my area, who died yesterday, was an refreshingly honest and forthright presence on the political scene, and was inspirational in illustrating that one person CAN bring about important changes with focus and dedication. The murder of his young son did not defeat him, but gave him the strength to push for changes to the legal system.. and to see them realized.
On a personal front, I would have to say that my mother has always inspired me the most. Her devotion and unfailing support for those she loved, her courage in the face of some real hardships, and her grace and dignity have always set her apart in my mind.
When the going gets tough for me - I always think of her, my resolve is renewed.

Sneaky2006
July 11th, 2005, 01:21 AM
My Mom and my son share the number one spot. My Mom is the strongest woman I know- has been through so much, yet remains sweet and compassionate, not bitter or calloused. My son is the brightest light in my life, and I only need to look at him to be inspired to try to better myself and the world around us.

But my friends deserve mention, too. I have the best friends on earth, who make me laugh when I don't think I can even smile (Sneaky, you'd better be reading this!), who say "I understand" (and prove it) when I'm sure nobody will, and who always share a perspective I hadn't thought of, when I believe I've covered every angle.

I am beyond blessed.Awww Sadie!! You got me all teary eyed! You've got to know I feel the same... real friends are the greatest. :love:

CyberKitten
July 11th, 2005, 02:22 AM
I was VERY sorry to hear about Mr. Cadman last night Shamrock. He seemed like a very ethical politician (typing those twi words together even tho I realize some may consider it an oxymoron). I just hope all that stress did not bring on an earlier death than necessary, cancer relying so much on opportunistic infections - and sadly, that whole spectacle that brought him to Ottawa was so opportunistic - by ALL parties, sighhhhhhh!!

I hear his wife may run for his seat. If she shares his values, hope she does!

doggy lover
July 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM
My grandmother who passed away last year was a great inspiration in my life, she was a wonderful person and taught me alot in life. I miss her so much. With losing her and my dog last year it has been an emotional strain on me, I remember things about one of them and end up in tears no matter where I am ath the time, it is very sad.

kandy
July 11th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Although in a lot of respects I would have to say my mother - I also think that my aunt (RIP) is one of my greatest inspirations. She had serious health problems, her husband has serious health problems, she has one mentally handicapped child, had another child become a quadraplegic after a car accident and her oldest had his dreams of being a professional football player destroyed after he suffered a terrible beating by some thugs with a tire iron. 2 of her 3 kids will never be independent. Through everything, she always had a smile for everyone. If you went to visit her, she would drop everything to sit and talk to you. I never, ever heard her complain about her lot in life - and she had lots to complain about. I always felt like if it wasn't for bad luck, she'd have no luck at all. I don't know how her family will survive without her - she was their rock and she died two months ago. Anytime I think about how unfair something is, I think about her and how she lived her life and I realize that my problems are petty and insignificant and I should be grateful for all the good things in my life.

Bearsmom
July 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM
My mother is my greatest inspiration. Anyone who can battle cancer attacking her body for SEVEN years now, surgeries too numerous to mention, and battle it with a smile, never once complaining, always caring more for others than herself is a true inspiration of courage and strength. I can only aspire to be as wonderful as she is, especially now that they've taken her off of chemo, and this disease is just slowly killing her, she STILL has the best attitude around. God I'm going to miss her when she goes.

doggy lover
July 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM
here is a poem I wrote for my Nan's 85th birthday.

Prin
July 12th, 2005, 12:24 PM
That's so sweet doggylover. If I could have one wish it would be that my grandmother could be at my wedding. :)

doggy lover
July 12th, 2005, 12:24 PM
and the one I wrote for her funeral

Shamrock
July 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Doggylover, your poems are just lovely.
As I "am" a Nan to three darling girls, they touched me especially, these beautiful tributes straight from the heart.
You have a wonderful way with words, expressing so clearly your thoughts and feelings.

Your Nan sounds a truly remarkable woman and certainly she was a very special part of you life. As you were to hers, I'm sure.

How lucky for you both to have shared this very special love :love:

nymph
July 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM
My mom is my inspiration...
I am happy to say that she is now, cancer free.

How lucky of you to have a great mom like her! I'm really glad that she's cancer-free now. :angel:

pags
July 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Ah - so many great posts here!! Very uplifting. :love:

I'd have to say that my husband is my inspiration. He is almost literally my knight in shining armor. (We met while playing an online medieval role-playing game... It's a rather bizarre story so feel free to look at me funny...) He was only 24 years old.. had a high-paying job with lots of travel and perks and didn't have a care in the world. He gave it up - took a paycut and relocated 1000 miles to a tiny unglamorous town to become my husband and a father to my two kids. Through it all - always the gentlest and most patient person I have ever known. Five years later he's still the calm in the storm of a house full of kids (8, 7, 20 months), a boisterous puppy, a cranky pregnant wife, and frequent visits from my mother. I worry that he's overwhelmed and he smiles and assures me we have plenty of room for more children.. He frets that we were only able to bring Judge home from the shelter... He invites homeless people (and critters too!) to our house for dinner... He brings me little injured creatures so I can nurse them back to health -- and he truly believes I can do it. It's his calm, his capacity to love, his child-like faith in the good in the world that inspires me to try so hard to live up to whatever it is that he sees in me.

Melinda
July 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM
My two best friends inspire me, first is Claire, we've been friends for over 28 yrs, her husband was diagnosed 4 yrs ago with terminal lung cancer, so far, he's beaten it, but she knows he only has limited time left with us, but she manages to start everyday with a smile for him, cares for him at home and has taken over as the major bread winner.
My second friend Tami, she lost her beautiful daughter in 1998 in a head on car accident, the other driver was also killed, he was drunk. Angie was only 19, yet Tami has managed to go on day by day for the sake of her other daughter, has set up a scholarship fund in Angie's name and keeps a memory garden alive in her name at the local highschool.

I look up to both these women and hope someday to be deserving enough to stand in their shadows.

Iggette
July 13th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Then I realized I should be saying my Mum because she has done so much for me - I guess I still take her for granted! I am going to go and giver her a hug now!

OMG this brought tears to my eyes.

Lissa, give mom a really big hug, and be sure to let her know how much she means to you and often.

I too took Mom for granted she was there through everything and allways there for support. I only wish I had a few moments with her to tell her how I feel. I miss her terribly and pray to her as if she were my guardian angel :angel:

Ya you guessed it Mom is my inspiration when I'm feelin blue, need support or I'm just hopin to make it to work on the fumes in my car I look to the sky and ask for her help.
Ya silly I know but all the same it makes me feel close to her and that inspires me :grouphug:

marko
July 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I am inspired by many of the members on this board - and that's the truth.

On this board in particular there are quite a few people who give give give with 100% altruism.

Helping animals on a daily basis is EXTREMELY difficult - it draws tears from the eyes and energy from the body.

I do not mean to offend anyone by neglecting them but the first thing that came to mind was Luckyrescue the member and Lucky Rescue the organization.

They both inspire me with their dedication.

Marko
ADMIN

badger
July 13th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I agree, they are remarkable - resourceful, constructive, quietly dealing with often wretched situations, not above rapping a few knuckles where it's needed, but always focusing on the animal. Some day, they might find a gene for this impulse that has us crawling around under parked cars with plates of cat food and spending our last dime at the vet's. There has to be an explanation for the yawning gulf between people who do not even see animal suffering and those who respond with compassion. For now, it's a mystery.

melanie
July 14th, 2005, 05:53 PM
im just way too hyper, i think i could be inspired by a different person, or object every hour of every day.....some ppl and things that inspire me right now

selfless ppl- those who give for no reson other than love and joy

volunteers of all kinds- any person who gives just a minute of their time occasssionally to help others

Rosalind Franklin- the mother of the double helix and DNA as we know it- her memory has such strength and determination, evn when she was ditched by her two male collegues and died alone with no recognition for her genius and tireless efforts in research even to the extent of her own life, her memory has inspired so many of otdays woman and female scientists, she inspires me daily,. when i think its too tough or dont know where to start i think of her...

my sister- she is raising 2 beautiful perfect children on her own and i cant believe what a good job she does, all single mothers are AMAZING

and last one

Thistle Harris Stead- a wonderful woman who started a local wildlife and flora sanctuary in which i volunteer. the woman was just a amazing botanist who fought soooo hard and long to preserve our patch of the aussie bush, without her i would lack a great deal of inspiration, i have starte praying to thistle when faced with a botanical challenge, and often the answer will jsut fall into my lap. If i can be half the woman and conservationist in my life that thistle was i will die fullfilled for sure.....

quickly my dog, the bush, native animals, trees, Aboriginal ppl you guys, marko and lucky for their tireless efforts and the list goes on and on and on and on........

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Rosalind Franklin- the mother of the double helix and DNA as we know it- her memory has such strength and determination, evn when she was ditched by her two male collegues and died alone with no recognition for her genius and tireless efforts in research even to the extent of her own life, her memory has inspired so many of otdays woman and female scientists, she inspires me daily,. when i think its too tough or dont know where to start i think of her....

We learn about her in every genetics class we have. Even the male teachers stick a word in there about her. One prof said she didn't win the nobel prize because of convenience. They were three and the nobel can only go to two. So she died, and conveniently there were two left. :rolleyes: I'm just glad that no matter what, we still got to learn her story. :)

melanie
July 15th, 2005, 06:09 PM
prin that is wonderful to hear, over hear no one has ever heard of her except for a few.... and on tv the otehr night they were talking DNA, she did not even warrant a mention and only her collegues were recognised for their efforts.... so i get a bit annoyed about it, and often tell ppl of her, most ppl i know have enver ever heard of her.....

im so gald you come from a forward country, unlike my rednecked backwards one, grrrrrrrr......

and her so called collegues lol did not recognise her when they got the nobel, at all.... i wish she had more importance over here, many ppl actually doubt my telling of her story, they cant seem to believe it happened.... typical ha...

but she is a huge inspiration to me, she died from her resaearch in a sense, and to me that is a true scientist.....true passion and dedicaiton, ewww if onyl i could be half the woman she was....

that isa so funny about the nobel, going only two w2ays, lol now that is very limited thnking for an academic crowd, i wonder if it has to do with the sixe of the stage or something (i know it sounds dumb but so does two ppl so one can only assume) :D

CyberKitten
July 15th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I too learned about Rosalind a long time ago - back in undergrad school (I am not that old but it seems ages ago, lol). She is truly an inspiration, yep. I also like Tommy Douglas - founder of Medicare - and Justice Emmett Hall, who convinced the then Conservative govt to impelement it.