Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Digger Vet stumped

milne
July 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM
digger vet stumped

I have a 10yr old golden Lab who about a month ago came home yelping. We checked him all over and could find anything. I took him to the vet and he checked digger, took blood tests etc and nothing was showing. Everything was normal. So we decided to put digger on some muscle relaxant. It seemed to work for a few days then he started to major hollar. Back to the vet. Still nothing and of course when we were at the vets...no hollaring. So I decided to drive 2hrs to a vet who had good Xray machines. They took neck and shoulder Left & right pictures...nothing showing. Back home we decided to try Robaxin for a few day. Still eating and drinking OK. After the 2nd pill he started shivering and shaking...so took him off. At this point it seemed that when he was getting up on a slippery floor, turn left, had to climb up or down the right front foot would lift up and he would start major howling sometimes going on for at least 30 sec (although it felt longer) In one of these sessions he bit me...him or I didn't realize it had happened....this dog would never do this ...I know he is in major pain. He also walks with his head even with his back and he crouches down about 2ins. We had a bad session about a week and a half ago so back to the vet and he put digger on Metacam. This lasted two days and digger stopped eating and drinking. So took him off. Drove back to the Xray clinic and they put him out on Thurs. did complete xray of every bone....nothing....As of this am his is now not drinking or eating even though I have prepared his favourites. He usually will eat anything that passes his nose. Vet is totally stumped and has no ideas. Anyone have any? I think as of this am he is shutting down and is afraid to move for any reason Would appreciate any help. Milne

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Try chiropractic treatment.

Also never give a dog a medication w/o consulting a vet. Robaxin contains acetomenephine, tylenol which is dangerous for dogs and can cause toxic shock.

When you say 'back home' had the dog been running loose?
There is a possibility of perhaps injury due to being hit by a car or something?

Nerve damage won't show up in the xrays nor will certain disc troubles in the spine. If your vet suspects it's skeletal then I would try some form of chiropractic treatment for your dogs. There are many around now and also acupuncture and water therapy.

milne
July 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Luba All the meds have been given by a vet. We live on over 3 acres and the dog was laying beside my husband while he worked in the shop Our house is maybe 400 feet from the shop. The dog never runs. I'm thinking he may have twisted or fallen off the back steps. They are a metal grate. Can't think of anything else. Yes I had thought of a chiropractor. I will check Prince George to see if there is one there. His right front foot is held in the air while he hollars but he will walk & run on it a few mins later making me think it could be in the neck area somewhere and the pain is going down the limb. He just ate some scrambled eggs and drank water. Thanks for your help milne

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
You can try a gentle massage until you get to see a chiropractor.

Have your dog lay on the side, either or. Gently in small circles massage the neck and muscles surronding. Apply gentle pressure and work your way down the spine to the hip area. Don't apply pressure directly on the spine but just off to the side.

SOmetimes you can actually hear the air pockets snapping . Don't be alarmed.
Then gently massage the legs, feel the muscles with your fingers, bring the front leg forward, keeping it flexed,then backward. Do that 4/5 times each and the same for the back.

Next do the other side (if too much for the dog do at different times of the day, give him a break)

I've seen this happen in people who also use gentle leaders, has your dog ever had one? I used to use them myself until I found out they can cause neck and back strain.

milne
July 9th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Hi Luba Thank you so much.. I had been gently massaging the shoulder but didn't want to go further as I had no clue what I was doing... Will follow your instructions....this has been so frustrating and horrifying to watch...He is such a gentle dog and I feel so awful I can't help him....I guess tears don't help much. Thank you again....I'll try to find a chiropractor in Prince George. I did enquire about an MIR but we would have to travel to Vanc, Calgary or Saskatoon of which I don't think the dog would be able to take it. It seems if I can keep him quiet this does help somewhat and we only have about two sessions a day.....two too many for me. Digger is the most unique dog we have every owned....he rides the four wheeler & snowmobile to go fishing with my husband. He built a box for the back with 6" foam inside and the dog travels everywhere with us. Thank you again Will let you know how I make out milne

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 01:46 PM
The massage will stimulate nerves and brain receptors as well as allow you to feel where any muscles may be tense. I've seen dogs who've lost all hind end movement begin to walk again :D it is truly amazing.

Don't give up, be strong...do the massaging. Also do you supplement your dogs diet with anything like fish/fish oil or shark cartilidge? Glucosaming, shark cart combined is wonderful for dogs...not the stuff they add into some foods..real supplementation.

I would love to see a picture or two of your doggie :D

lezzpezz
July 9th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Hi there. I work at the public library and did a search on animal massage. There are some good books out there that you may be able to acquire in your "neck" of the woods, (pun intended, not an insult! :eek: )

Look for these:

Massage for animals
1 Canine massage : a practical guide / Jean-Pierre Hourdebaight and Shari L. Seymour. : Hourdebaight, Jean-Pierre c1999
2 Dog massage : a whiskers-to-tail guide to your dog's ultimate petting experience / Maryjean Ballner : Ballner, Maryjean c2001
3 The healing touch for dogs : the proven massage program / Michael W. Fox. : Fox, Michael W.,

Good luck!

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 03:18 PM
'Neck of the woods' LOL
ur killing me :p

Angeleyes1437
July 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Is there anyway you can get an MRI done on him? It's possible that it could be a ligament, muscle or something else that may not show up on an X-ray. I'd say it's definitely worth a shot! :fingerscr

Angeleyes1437
July 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Sorry, just saw your post about the MRI. I think that would definitely be able to help you if you could make the drive. Good Luck!

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Sorry you have to go through this. The wondering is horrible. Has he ever been on just pain meds? You said muscle relaxants, but how about just pain meds? Maybe I'm totally off here, but could it be the result of some sort of poison?

Last thing-- could it be anything psychological? Has he had any sort of emotional trauma?