Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Preserving foods...Get our your Mason jars!

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I don't know how many people still preserve fruits and veggies but I do from time to time. I like to make pickles and hot peppers as well!

Most of my recipes are hit and miss, I try somethin what I think I may like and give it a whirl...a little bit of this and that type of thing.

Does anyone preserve or pickle? If you do , do you have any suggestions on recipes, tricks of the trade, things you have learned?

I have many mason jars and just recently at a yard sale bought some very old mason jars with glass lids. No seals though and I'm not so sure where I could get those, if anyone knows can you suggest pls.

I've done pears, pickles, peaches, hot peppers made many a jam, spread and marmalade. This year I didn't do peaches and right now I could use a nice piece of toast and strawberry jam, home made ahhh yummie!

So if you have any info, recipes or suggestions I would be very happy to hear them :D

lilith_rizel
July 9th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I have never done any sort of canning. But James and I have decided to give it a try.I would love to find a recipe of these 2 things my garandma made ( past away 3 years ago, and I don't know who has her recipe book :( )

First one is apples, ths fliud is REALLY red. And the other are theses pickles that are REALLY green. I know not the best descriptions, but it is the only way I can describe them. If anyone knows what I am talking about and can help me it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Luba, I am glad I am not the only one who wants to do canning! I am just a young gal, wanting to be like my grandma! Boy do I ever miss her pickles and jam.....yum!

badger
July 9th, 2005, 11:39 AM
I did zucchini pickles last year, they were delicious. I also do pickled beets and if there are too many tomatoes, some kind of relish (usually spicy). I don't make anything that has to be processed (ie boiled after canning) which pretty much restricts me to vinegar-based recipes (although some germophobes boil these too) and I'm not into anything complicated.

There's nothing like opening a jar of pickles on a snowy day, to eat with a bowl of brown rice or on a sandwich.

Do the Mason jars you found have a rubber ring that fits around the rim of the jar before you put on the glass lid and then the screw top? If so, in theory, you boil the rubber ring for a few minutes to soften it, sterilize the jar, the glass lid and the screw top (also by boiling), fill the jar and put it all together. In theory, the rubber ring creates adheres to the glass under pressure, and creates the seal. I wouldn't chance it with jam, though. I have a few of those, but have never used them for canning.

When I was growing up, my mother made jam every year, usually raspberry and blackberry. Occasionally we would open a jar and there would be a carpet of mold on top (meaning that the seal had been defective or broken). We just skimmed it off and ate the jam. Nowadays, the whole jar would be trashed. Eat a few germs, folks, they are GOOD for you!

lezzpezz
July 9th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Well I sure do! I was growing my own tomatoes, peppers, onions and herbs, as I make my own tomato sauce. But I found that instead of all of the planting/watering/weeding that I did last year, it was actually more financially practical to just go to the Trail's End Market near closing time on Saturdays, and they virtually give away 50lbs. bags of veggies for about $5 a bag/bushel! I came home with literally a truckload of veggies for less than $100!! I had 2X50 lbs. of beets, 5 bushels of peppers, 2X50 lbs. of onions, and about 6 bushels of tomatoes! I saved on all of the effort, water etc. and supported some local farmers to boot! I plan on doing the same this summer. It took me almost 1 1/2 weeks to prep everything and my cupboard is still well stocked. This year, I don't need beets, but will likely buy them anyway!

I too bought some old glass Crown jars with glass lids, and unfortunately, all of the tomato sauce I did in them went bad, as the seals did not take :( Had to throw away several jars.....You can get the rubber seals at TSC store, which is a Canadian country hardware store. I just had no luck with these and will use Mason jars with new lids/seals from now on.

I use recipes from books from the Library and some old standard books that I have collected over the years. Better Homes and Gardens has a great series of cookbooks, (older), and the preserve/pickling recipes are no fail. The main thing is to properly sterilize and seal the jars for the required amount of time. Always listen for the "POP" of the metal lid after you boil the preserves, and you know you have a good seal. I use the water bath on the stovetop to both sterilize the jars and then seal them. I have tried the oven method, when I needed a lot of jars and the stove top was full, but I prefer the stove top method. Takes alot of big pots!! and I get quite a little factory going!! :p

You may want to invest in a Bernardin preserve kit that contains a jar tongs, plastic stick to remove bubbles from jars when you poke the fruit/veggies, a funnel and a magnetic lid lifter. I don't know how many times I have burned myself with hot water without the aid of these tools! Well worth the $$. If you can get a metal jar basket, (holds 6 or 7 jars and fits inside large kettle and its' handles hang over the edgeof the kettle, so you can easily lift heavy full jars out of boiled water), it would be very helpful. Hard to lift heavy full jars with the tongs. I have found the big kettles and the basket at garage sales for a few bucks! Same with strainers and jars.

I go thru tea towels galore when I am boiling water, as it is always a mess! Lots of clean up!! Good luck!!

I think the really green pickles may have had green food colouring added. Some recipes call for that to add pizzazz to the look!

mona_b
July 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I have never tried to do any jams.

I make my own pickles(daddy taught me.. :D )and I do pickle my own beets...I have tried to pickle green pepers.They actually turned out pretty good.See with me,I don't use mason jars,I use the old pickle jars or whatever other jars that I have.I have done my own tomato sauces.I also make a mean pickled cucumber salad.... :D

What I have growing in my backyard now is tomatos,beets,pickling cucumbers,fresh dill,sweet banana pepers,lettuce,green onions,green pepers and raspberries.

I'm not one for the outdoor planting,as in flowers,but give me a veggie garden and I am in heaven....LOL

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 01:32 PM
YAAAH I'm doing happy dance I'm not the only one YIPPIE!!

The old jars I bought there is no rubber seal with them badger and thats what I think I need to find new ones....somewhere. I just don't know if they make them for that size jar anymore. They are beautiful jars. Tx you for the tip on where to get the seals Lezzer :D

I would love to do zucchi pickles YUM!! That is a fabulous idea.

I didnt do a veggie garden this year Mona balona and I really am missing it...next year will be the queen of gardens HAHA!

This was my first year not doing strawberry jam. BUT peach season is plenty and hopefully I'll be able to do some peach jam and preserves.

Give a try Lillith with something..we'll compare our bountiful harvest LOL

mona_b
July 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Awww Luba Booba.

Don't worry my friend,I will be thinking about you when I start picking my veggies...... :D :p

lilith_rizel
July 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I will be giving it a try. I am thinking that after I start my job in a couple weeks, and start getting paid, I will start buying jars and evertying that I will need. I want to start this fall. What do you all suggest to start out with first. I would prefer to start out simple, as I am just a beginner :D

And any good starter recipes would be greatly appreciated. I don't have ANY cookbooks here!!!

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Fall harvest hmmm try the zucci's LOL I guess you would need to choose those veggies which run late into summer and early fall. Like cabbage and the sort? I'm stumped on that one really. I usually do the early crops and the cuc's carrots, beets and such. If you get some too late in the season they tend to taste woody instead of ripe.

lilith_rizel
July 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
well, maybe I will just get everything I need for next year then. I am sure I will be content doing that, and finding recipes for the next season!!!! Maybe by that time I will find out who has my grandma's recipe book, and find those pickle recipes of hers........ I bet my one sister would atleast know what they were called, she lived with my grandma 2 different times, for a year each time......

Iggette
July 12th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Hey Luba your back :D Nice to see you post. I've been kind of away as well, I got a new job in December that has kept me away from my puter except to check my email once in a while and I pop in here from time to time to check the transport needed section. But I'm on holiday this week so I'll be here as much as I can ;)

Anyway about canning.......Hubby is an awesome canner he is the gramma of our house he does a wicked peach jam with a hint of cinnamon in it people say it is really good I preffer strawberry myself he wings all kinds of jam recipies even mixes some berries.
We have tried many things in thet past one of our one hit wonders was a peach salsa my son couldn't get enough of it. Our garden is gone wild this year we have it all in there have already been freezing spinich, swiss chard, and peas oh i love the peas. mmmmmmm *drooling* I love farm life :thumbs up