Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!!! - Boxer has small lumps (like hives) on back and spreading

boxernewfie
July 9th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Hello

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice...my girl Lexxi (boxer) is a year and a half now...Just to give a little background and to make a long story short she has severe allergies...tried many things from vet and presently giving her shots to desensitive to everything (grass, dust,etc, etc, etc)...her allergies are pretty severe and has affected her face and her paws....

Besides her allergies she has had hives before (from a bite) and benadryl has always worked...however the other day she was close to another neighbourhood dog and a couple hours later I noticed some spots on her back - figured it was fly bites and gave her benadryl...anyhow a couple days have passed and they are getting worse...just gave her a bath in pyoben shampoo...still nothing...and we checked the water for bugs, etc...but nothing - plus she is on sentinel so she should be pretty safe...

Anyhow, she looks like a little leopard at this point...I'm frightened it might be an insect that got under her skin and is biting all over??? I can't find anything on teh internet that describes this...and I know it's not mange...and because of our cold climate/short summer in Newfoundland (Canada) we only have so many types of bugs!...She's not itching and is her normal happy self...no whining or anything...I'm really in a bind because I can't get in touch with my vet until Tuesday and there is only 1 vet within 300 kms!!....Any suggestions?

Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Lexxi's mom

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Most of these problems stem from a compromised immune system. Please read some of this information as I'm sure you'll find it informative:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17077

AS well as:

http://www.caninecaregroup.net/dhealthissues.htm#DANGER%20OF%20VACCINATIONS

badger
July 9th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Could it be ringworm? Easily transmitted and fairly easily cured.

Signs of ringworm are typically circular patches of broken hair in ring-like whorles. These areas usually heal at their centers, growing darker than normal hair. Surrounding this darkened area is a band of inflamed, reddened skin within which the hair is also broken off short. The most common areas for ringworm to occur are the face, ear tips, tail and paws. When these areas are examined with an ultraviolet light source the broken hair shafts often fluoresce. In the few cases where the lesions are itchy, the skin is crusty, bumpy and infected with bacteria.

Here's a website:

http://www.pethealthcare.net/html/body_ringworm_in_dogs.html

boxernewfie
July 9th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Hi - thanks for your replies...from the descriptions It's not ringworm and I'm pretty sure it's not hotspots...It's under her hair - started on her back and worked it's way down her sides...now bumps are showing on her legs...I just pushed back the hairs and they look like pimples...no hair loss or discoloration or scabs or anything...just pimples...no puss or anything...it's really strange...and the bath doesn't seem to have done any good...

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Could be allegies-- Jemma's twin at the dog park got pimplies when her owner gave her a bath and she was allergic to the shampoo. She definitely has to see a vet. Usually they shave the area to allow it to breathe better and this doggy got antibiotics, which I'm not sure is the proper way to go... You can't call the vet? If it is allergies, benadryl makes a topical cream. (We used it on Boo when he got poison ivy). Not sure what else to say. Can you post a pic?

boxernewfie
July 9th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Here's a pic from a few mins ago...trust me, she's not in any pain I take very good care of her and even though our vet is almost two hours away I've been there about 25 times in the last year...it just looks bad...

I've done lots of research on remedies, etc...seeing that she has all these allergies, but this reaction is a little different...even bathing her in allergic shampoo hasn't worked...

Has anyone seen this before?...

Thanks again

boxernewfie
July 9th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Just another pic - close up...

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Like I was saying it's probably a compromised immune system. Your dog will need to have it's immunity boosted.

It could be pockets of cysts...anything really.

I would try some holistic / homeopathic treatment.

Has the vets checked them to make sure they aren't some form of cancer. Don't wanna frighten you.

Did you read the info on the links about immunosuppresent troubles and vaccine reactions? It's very informative.

boxernewfie
July 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Hi - thanks for your reply...actually one of the reasons her allergies are severe is because of a weak immune system...went to a good breeder too...Anyhow, these bumps sprouted up within the last few days...as far as being checked for cancer, etc...she has pretty much been checked for everything...and I had allergy tests done last fall and she's now getting injections...about every 10 days now...she was supposed to get one today but I'm not giving it to her...so this is prob not the cause either..

As far as vaccinations - she had hers in March...so prob not the cause...

I've heard about holistic treatments but at this point I'm so worried about her I kind of want to stick to one thing at a time...I did read through the articles you sent...I've actually seen alot of similar material before...If the allergy injections don't work holistic will be my next move...It's just hard being somewhere with no holistic vet...for that matter, we only having 2 vets serving all of western newfoundland...2! And it seems like everything I read is different...

I figure this is a reaction to a plant or insect or something...just more severe than usual...thought someone might have seen something like it...

Thanks for all your help!

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM
So an already immune compromised dog then given vaccines in March. This def could have been a trigger point.

I wouldn't vaccinate the dog anymore. Dogs are over vaccinated anyway.

IF you have a holistic vet or if you contact the veterinary college in your province they can direct you to one. I'm sure you will get some help and answers there.

I would take all information about the dogs health/history...get copies of any medication / vaccine the dog has ever had.

A dogs immune system can be compromised by one mere vaccine given as a pup.

Until you decide to see a homeopathy I would recommend supplementing your dogs diet:

-fish and fish oil (feed fresh steamed salmon atleast 1x a week and some sardines a couple times a week, canned is okay)
-add flax seed oil to the food, tsp each feeding
-feed probiotics (get at health food stores) or just buy plain yogurt
and feed 2/3 tbs a day
-oregano oil kills many bacteria,fungus, virus I would get this and give 3 drops 3x a day (in the yogurt)

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Ummmm... Looks a lot like this dog... http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17060

Melinda
July 10th, 2005, 09:48 AM
they look like ant bites to me.

boxernewfie
July 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Turns out it was an acute allergic reaction...not sure what caused it but it went down on it's own...benadryl didn't work...time just had to take its course..
Thanks for your help

BMDLuver
July 19th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks so much for the update. Hope all remains well as it must have been very itchy, poor sweetie.

coppperbelle
July 19th, 2005, 09:57 AM
First of all I just want to mention that I absolutely love Newfoundland especially the west coast. I would love to go back this summer but it is not in the cards.
Secondly, I notice you have water behind you. I remember the water is very cold but is he going swimming? One of my dogs developed bumps from swimming in water frequented by water fowl. Only antibiotics would clear it up.

shannon123
September 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Here's a pic from a few mins ago...trust me, she's not in any pain I take very good care of her and even though our vet is almost two hours away I've been there about 25 times in the last year...it just looks bad...

I've done lots of research on remedies, etc...seeing that she has all these allergies, but this reaction is a little different...even bathing her in allergic shampoo hasn't worked...

Has anyone seen this before?...

Thanks again

I am having the same problem with my boxer ,daisy who is 3. nothing seems to work. guess i will be taking a trip to the vet tomorrow

Winston
September 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Shannon you may have better luck opening a new thread as this one is pretty old its from 2005...

Good Luck

Cindy