poodletalk
July 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/07/08/pets.on.planes.ap/index.html

poodletalk
July 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Goldengirls, Just PM you....I cleaned out my mailbox

Angeleyes1437
July 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
I think I posted something similar to this on one of my posts... I was outraged with the number of animals killed. I won't bring Maximus on an airplane unless he is in cabin with me... not that it could ever happen.

I have to drive when I visit my parents in Florida... 1500 miles!!!

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM
YY flew with me to visit my folks in Florida - no way would I permit any animal to fly cargo - tho we've had this debate before and I am not going to reinvent the wheel here. :)

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 08:25 PM
There was a thread about airline travel with pets a while ago, and I posted some stories I learned while I worked as a baggage handler for a short time. My doggies will never go on a plane unless they can never leave my side. Lucky I like to drive and there are drugs to knock out the anxious doggy. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 9th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Flying a dog would make me nervous I know people do it all the time. Poor animals down there in the cargo dept I would be worried sick. I am also nervous about taking a dog on a ferry because you have to leave them in the car alone for an hour and half. I have heard airlines will ship pets at night as it is colder then. A pet friendly airline would be nice if you can buy a seat for your pet and he can sit beside you. Right now I think it ten pound limit or a toy breed that can go under the seat.

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2005, 09:29 PM
There are a couple of pet friendly airlines now that serve pets and their families. Prob a little pricier but I bet they are good. Not available where I am tho.

jjgeonerd
July 9th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Did anyone actually read the article? Here's a quote:

"Six U.S. airlines reported a total of 10 incidents, including five cases in which a pet was injured and one in which a pet was lost.

More than 2 million pets and other live animals are carried by airlines every year in the U.S."
That is 0.0005% accident rate. Don't jump on me too much, but that isn't bad. 6 of the 10 incidents were animals getting out of their cages...which is usually the owners fault (or at least not the airlines). 1 dog died due to a heart problem, 1 rat died of "apparent natural causes", and another dog was put to sleep after the flight because it ingested a toxic substance (when :confused: ).

I agree tha one is too many...but those are pretty darn good odds.

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Not bad odds, but when they do die, it's usually a horrible death. And I don't want it to be my dogs.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 9th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Actually flying freaks me out, we are flying to mexico for vacation in November I am looking forward to the trip but dreading the flight. I even get uneasy on the 45 minute flight to Vancouver, so that is probably partially the reason I find the idea of flying pets scary as well.

LL1
July 10th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Id never do it.Enough stories about lost dogs never recovered and deaths are too much for me.These are monthly reports?And from only 6 airlines?