Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice for people who tend to adopt strays

urstwile
July 8th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the board, but I wanted to share something that I myself have just recently learned, from experience, particularly for those who tend (like me) to bring in strays.

Basically, I was very unprepared at first to adopt Coco, in terms of having the right materials here for her at home, once we brought her back.

We brought her home on a holiday evening, when no stores were open, and we only have the one cat, and weren't prepared to bring a stray in at the last minute.

Which meant that her first night here was a misery :sorry: , as we ended up putting her in our resident cat's carrier for the evening, where she ended up fouling herself overnight. We had no extra litterbox, but I didn't want to leave her out in the room with our cat Darla until we brought her to the vet, so we didn't see a different way to do things. So, note to self, extra litterbox, or something that can function as such in the future.

I do tend to be a softie when it comes to strays, but found myself very unprepared. If anyone has any tips about this kind of thing, I think it would be a good addition to the board. I know I felt REALLY bad about the misery Coco had to go through until the next day when we were able to adequately set her up with a home here.

:pawprint:

twinmommy
July 8th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Great thread. :thumbs up

And don't apologize!! You were sweet to take her in, one rough night is nothing compared to what she would have suffered had you not given her a home.

I think if you have other animals and can make a stop at the vets on the way home, it's ideal. If it's not feasible, then what about a heated garage?

Once at home, I'd keep everybody seperate for a while anyways.... ;)
A bathroom with the light on for atmosphere....my strays just pooped in the tub when they could n't find a box...this kind of stuff is no biggy when it's just for one night.

souns like things are great now though....any pics?

urstwile
July 8th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Twinmommy,

Well, she's doing okay, I think. She's eating, which is great.

Due to the holiday, we couldn't drop by the vet's on the way home, so had to wait until the following day, and I had to work, which made it even more stressful for her I'm sure.

But she IS eating, and time will tell, of course. We live in a 1-bedroom apartment in San Diego, so heated garage is not an option. She was unhappy for one evening, but now she seems to be doing more or less okay, although of course, I'm vigilant with her. It's hopeful that she wants to eat, and I'm holding on to that, and looking forward to taking her to the vet in about a week and a half (when I can next afford it).

Thanks for your supportive words!
:)

twinmommy
July 8th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Is there anything that looks really wrong, healthwise?

Eating is a good sign.... :D

I remember all my strays had one thing in common. -- they LOVED toys!!

I know you mentioned lack of funds, but take 5 bucks, go to a dollar store, and buy some pet toys and sit back and watch the show!!!

You should still keep her away from your other cat just in case she has something like feline leukemia or rhino.(but the rhino you'd probably be able to tell--looks like a bad cold.

urstwile
July 9th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Twinmommy,

She actually looks pretty good, except for the emaciation. :(

So we're playing it by ear, keeping her isolated when we're not home, and letting her out when we're here. Darla is dealing well with it, the occasional hiss, but nothing bad. And Coco kind of responds as if "well, look I got some problems, and I just can't deal with you right now, so um, leave me alone." :rolleyes:

Anyway, time will tell with this little munchkin. I'll keep everyone posted. I have good feelings about how she's doing, however.

Talk soon. :)

twinmommy
July 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM
How're things going with your little girl? :)

urstwile
July 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
The little one is doing okay, although I'm a little concerned because she peed right near our front door last night, when up until now she's been pretty good about using the litterbox.

She seems to want to go outside, goes to the front door and meows, and I don't know whether the pee incident is related to that behavior or not.

For now, we're keeping her in the bathroom. I don't know if she's just still adjusting to her new environment or if it's something else. :fingerscr