Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dennis

Karin
July 8th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Here we go again. Starting tomorrow I will not be online for .......? I started packing yesterday afternoon. Ciara & I have reservations (hopefully) at my usual "hunker down" hotel. My mother is suppose to make the reservation this am, I do not have a credit card to hold the room. My co-worker, Carol, and her two yorkies willbe joining us & possibly the boss, her husband, 5 cats and one large dog. I still have a lot of packing to do plus I need to pull out cash from the bank and stock up at the vets.

Dennis will hopefully stay on it's present course, even with that we will have tropical storm force winds or better here, I am only forty miles inland. If he moves a tad east I'm afraid the damage will far exceed that of Frances. I may not be safe even at the hotel.
Dennis could possibly be a catagory 5 hurricane when he reaches the gulf. That is the highest ever recorded. Right now he matches Andrew. South Florida is already feeling the outer bands now.
This is gonna hurt. I'm sure we will lose most of whats left of our trees...I just don't want to be underneath them when they go!

I'll pop in & out as long as I can until bail out time arrives and depending on what happens afterwards.....It's too hot to be without power for two weeks like last year.!

doggy lover
July 8th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Good luck my thoughts are with you and your furry friends. My daughter is in Daytona right now I hope she will be ok there, she hates storms here so I don't think she would be happy about a hurricane.

BMDLuver
July 8th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Good Luck Karin! I hope you are all able to ride out the storms safely. Couldn't imagine being there for them.

Writing4Fun
July 8th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Thinking good, solid, hunkering-down thoughts for you, Karin! Come back soon and often to let us know how you fared. Good luck!

Beaglemom
July 8th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Good luck! My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. I was in Florida at the time that Hurrican Andrew hit. Fortunately we were in the Gulf and we only got the tail end and never had to leave our vacation spot.

Please come back soon and let us know how you are doing.

jjgeonerd
July 8th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Good luck...I can't imagine having to deal with this year after year!

sammiec
July 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Karin, I've been thinking about you! I pray that you and your family will be safe. I am so sorry that you're going through this again! ((((HUGS))))

Prin
July 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I hope you stay safe Karin. How's your healing coming along? :fingerscr :grouphug:

Karin
July 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I hope you stay safe Karin. How's your healing coming along? :fingerscr :grouphug:

I'm feeling better, which is another reason I opted for the hotel room and not the floor of the office again. Plus we stand to lose power here for a while due to the trees falling on the power lines. I plan on keeping the room for as long as the power is out here, it's 98 degrees outside. *I'll turn the room into a kennel*

Dennis is getting stronger and is now over Cuba. It will lose some strength but pick back up once it's over the gulf. Then it's really anybobys guess, looks like the panhandle but as with Charley last year, that can change...then your stuck where ever you are.
I'm just about packed, I will work tomorrow & leave from there.

CyberKitten
July 8th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I am so glad to hear you are feeling better Karin - that is excellent news!! Sorry to hear about Dennis tho. I know my folks are worried about their home too but in their case, it is their 2nd home so they are here in Canada for the summer. My dad is glued to CNN needless to say!!

I hope Dennis does not cause damage on your property or that no more trees are lost. We lost some wonderful trees during hurricaine Juan in Halifax and it was a herculian effort to replant and get the local parks -kind of a treaure really, the Halifax Public Gardens and Point Pleasant Park - back to some semblance of normal tho they will never be the same again.

Princesss04
July 9th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Karin I am not sure if you will be back online or not. My sister is in Penascola, FL. Dad and I have talked about going and getting her and brining her back when it is over. She is in college down there and the just bored up and stick it out. Do you think we should go and get her? :confused:

Karin
July 9th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Karin I am not sure if you will be back online or not. My sister is in Penascola, FL. Dad and I have talked about going and getting her and brining her back when it is over. She is in college down there and the just bored up and stick it out. Do you think we should go and get her? :confused:

Go get her! Dennis has weakened but he still has many miles to travel over the very warm gulf waters, he is gathering strength once again as I type this. Once the weather goes down hill, everyone is stuck where they sit...even if the roof blows off! This happened to my friends in Vero Beach last year during Jeanne, they decided to hunker down in the new office at their rv park, they ended up spending 10 hours under the desks with their dogs...and no roof! Emergency personel will not budge during the hurricane to help either.
Get her out now, even if she does not get a direct hit, she will be on the evil NE side which in my opion can be much worse!

See ya'll later.....hang on Pags!

Karin
July 9th, 2005, 05:24 AM

While you're there, can you hog tie & put duck tape over Jim Cantore's mouth, this Weather Channel reporter drives us nuts! He's always full of gloom & doom and is always off the mark...we call him Jim "Canttellya".

CyberKitten
July 9th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Hope you're hangin' in there Karin!! I have seen that forecaster (folks used to be in Fort Walton) and yeah, he is rather on the morose side, lol Take care!!!!!! I'll be thinking about you and the others up there. I have an 89 yr old uncle in Ft Walton Beach but he says he survived Normandy, he will survive this (sigh --- he forgets he was 20 something for Normandy!!!!). Anyway - we worry about him. If you are near Santa Rosa Blvd, pick him up, lol (I mean go get him not pick him up as in you know - I do not want to get into more trouble with phrases online, lol)

Angeleyes1437
July 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Good luck with everything, my parents are in the SW part of Florida, Naples- they felt it yesterday and it supposedly calmed down today. I hope everything turns out okay for you- I will keep my fingers crossed :fingerscr

Luba
July 9th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Hey there is a missing post of mine...hmmm the troll post thieves took it. LOL

Anyways, I'm really hoping all goes well for everyone. The looks of things in Cuba, ut oh it looks like a doozy. Hang on for dear life!!

melanie
July 9th, 2005, 05:12 PM
AGAIN CRAP :o

they say things come in threes, does that mean your a phenomenon and have it come in 100s instead, gee that sucks big time mate...

just stay warm and dry, keep your head down (literally) and please try and get some rest when yo u get to the motel....

goodluck

Karin
July 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM
A strong spit of winds and a few storms is all that we had...I stayed at the hotel until 5 am this morning..Ciara & I snoozed & snored the entire time...Ciara snored more than I. She's hurting for the move but I can tell she is more relaxed. I went straight to work and checked on her often...

Give us a wimp of a storm anyday.

Pags? How did you fare?

chico2
July 11th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Karin,I am happy to read you and Ciara are ok and your house still standing...I missed this entire thread and I don't miss much :D
A friend of mine lives in Venice,I have not heard anything,but I think her area was not hit badly either...

Luba
July 11th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Don't turn your back, there's more on the way...another one Emily or something ?

pags
July 11th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Hey all -- and especially Karin!!! I just found this thread -- there were so many new posts when I got back to the board I was totally lost. :D

I'm very glad to hear you made out alright, Karin. We're all fine too.. We actually had more wind and rain with TS Cindy last week. We're all just exhausted from all the preparations and the waiting.. and waiting.. and waiting.
I know there was still plenty of damage for those who were directly in the path -- and some for those who weren't expecting the weather in more northern areas... But for the most part Dennis thudded more than banged. We're always grateful for that!!

We're leaving most of our shutters up for at least this week and keeping an eye on tropical depression 5. Blah. Too many storms way too early. You're right Luba -- a lot of people are expecting this one to be Emily by the end of the week.

Oh -- and my husband spraypainted "Jim Cantore Fans" on one of our hurricane shutters. LOL When people ask us where we think they should go when evacuating -- we tell them to go find Jim Cantore and stand behind him... No way the hurricane will go that way. It's a huge joke with us around here. So we figured when we were making our shutters -- that perhaps just by mere association with Jim we could cause any hurricane to choose a different location. :p

Karin
July 12th, 2005, 05:04 AM
We're leaving most of our shutters up for at least this week and keeping an eye on tropical depression 5. Blah. Too many storms way too early. You're right Luba -- a lot of people are expecting this one to be Emily by the end of the week.

Oh -- and my husband spraypainted "Jim Cantore Fans" on one of our hurricane shutters. LOL When people ask us where we think they should go when evacuating -- we tell them to go find Jim Cantore and stand behind him... No way the hurricane will go that way. It's a huge joke with us around here. So we figured when we were making our shutters -- that perhaps just by mere association with Jim we could cause any hurricane to choose a different location. :p

I am determined to not get my panties in a wad every time Africa farts in our general direction....we lived out of suitcases for two months last year, now I just leave everything packed, stowed away in the trunk of the car. I now have two of almost everything so no more packing/unpacking.

Keep Jim Cantore up your way Pags, this will assure Florida will not be hit this year! I swear it seems everyone at the weather channel is depressed because Dennis was tamer than predicted. They live for the gloom & doom and mass panic hurricane season brings.

doggy lover
July 12th, 2005, 11:11 AM
I talked to my daughter in Daytona they just got wind and rain. I'm glad everyone is ok but I did hear there were still 5 deaths caused by the hurricane. Good luck to you guys this season, we are just dying from the heat up here thank god for central air. Other wise I'd think I was living with the devil himself.

pags
July 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I talked to my daughter in Daytona they just got wind and rain. I'm glad everyone is ok but I did hear there were still 5 deaths caused by the hurricane. Good luck to you guys this season, we are just dying from the heat up here thank god for central air. Other wise I'd think I was living with the devil himself.

I also read somewhere that there were 5 deaths attributed to the hurricane -- but I'm having trouble finding information on those. So far I have found a man in Georgia killed by a falling tree. A man in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida who stepped on a downed power line. And two people in North Carolina killed in a traffic accident which they say can be attributed to conditions caused by the weather. The tragedy of the smaller storms is that very often the deaths attributed to them can be found in areas far north of the coast where residents are not expecting or are not prepared for severe weather -- or are not used to dealing with the aftermath of such weather...

It's a horrible shame that the aftermath is often more dangerous than the storm itself. :(

Princesss04
July 12th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Where my sister goes to school at in Pensacola, FL there was hardly no damage. Everything is fine a little water damage and one broken window, but not bad if I might say so my self. I am glad that you are fine Karin. You have been in my thoughts. :D