Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Aurora Considers Banning Pit Bulls

heidiho
July 7th, 2005, 05:58 PM
AURORA, Colo. -- The city of Aurora may decide to ban pit bulls just like Denver did two months ago.

Charmane Watson moved from Denver to Aurora because of Denver's pit bull ban. If Aurora's ban passes, she might have to move again.

A city subcommittee on code enforcement met Wednesday to discuss a possible ban.

Pit bull owner Charmane Watson -- who just moved from Denver to Aurora so that she could keep her pit bull -- said not all pit bulls are the same.

"He's obedient. He doesn't mess with anyone. He hasn't attacked anyone or harmed anyone," said Watson.

However, some city council members fear for the safety of city residents because some consider the animals to be aggressive.

"I know there are good owners and I know there are good dogs but I'm terrified of the next kid at the elementary school who will get torn up," said City Council member Bob Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald said that he has received dozens of phone calls from residents about the dogs. More pit bulls are showing up in Aurora's animal shelters because residents with pit bulls are leaving Denver and going to nearby cities like Aurora so that their dogs won't be put to death.

Two months ago, the city of Denver began enforcing its pit-bull ban after a yearlong battle with the state, which passed a law that said cities couldn't ban by breed.

The city of Denver sued and in December 2004, a Denver District court judge ruled that the state law violated Denver's home rule authority under the Colorado state constitution. The judge said that the state could not impose such limitations on Denver.

Aurora has vicious animal ordinance that fines people when their pets bite, lunge or snap at others. However, some don't that the vicious dog law is enough.

The committee meets again on Aug. 9 to review the proposed ban. They plan to hear from the public at that time.

Discuss: Are Pit Bulls Getting A Bad Rap?

Previous Stories:
May 24, 2005: Police Kill Pit Bull While Serving Warrant
May 9, 2005: Pit Bulls Banned Again In Denver
April 8, 2005: Denver Allowed To Enforce Pit Bull Ban
January 26, 2005: Pit Bull Breaks Chains, Kills 2 Poodles Inside Neighbor's House
January 25, 2005: Pit Bulls Shot After Attacking Officers
January 6, 2005: Owner Of Killer Pit Bulls Turns Herself In
December 15, 2004: Pit Bull Owner Sentenced For Mauling Death
July 15, 2004: Fort Lupton Defies State Law, Bans Pit Bulls
July 7, 2004: Playful Pit Bull Pounces On Boy

Lil'RickyMom
July 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM
My God, Colorado is getting into this banning thing? I am disappointed. My son is born in Denver, Colo. and very surprised that these bans are out there too.

I will therefore never move to Denver. I don't have a pitbull, but any city that bans any type of dog, is no city I want to live in.

Such a shame, I am getting a 4 month old pit pup this week-end (I'm a rescuer), because the lady who adopted her didn't know there was a ban in her City (St-Lazarre, Qc) and was told by Security she had to get rid of this dog (she just got her a few weeks ago).

The more I rescue dogs, the more I hate people and politicians!!!!

LavenderRott
July 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Heidi - could you please post the link so that I can forward this.

heidiho
July 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
HOw do i do that??I got it off cnn.com