Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Plant sub-forum? On a lighter note...

Prin
July 7th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Would you find a planty forum useful? Should we strongly encourage Marko to make one? It would be a subforum of the Off-Topic forum. (the other thread about this wasn't getting much attention because of the riots in the Off-Topic...)

pags
July 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I agree with Prin! Plants are critters too! :D

Writing4Fun
July 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Oh, Prin, your poll options had me literally bursting with laughter. You had my baby worried, I was laughing so loud. :D :thumbs up

Prin
July 7th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I hope it ends up in the critter forum. I'll be like this:

Birds
Fish
Amphibs et al.
Plants: the other, other white meat.

Kariia
July 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM
It would be okay, but what would you post? "My plant is acting weird, help!" "Don't support the Venus Fly Trap ban!" "Does anyone own a blue hydrangea?"xD :rolleyes: :crazy:

Really, it would be good. I do like plants.

kayla
July 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM
If I start thinking of plants as critters then I wouldn't be able to eat them either :eek: J/k love the idea, I always have plant questions (like why the heck do mine NEVER flower???)

Writing4Fun
July 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM
If I start thinking of plants as critters then I wouldn't be able to eat them either :eek: J/k love the idea, I always have plant questions (like why the heck do mine NEVER flower???)
Did you read the original thread? You apparently have to have two kids before your plants will thrive. :p :D

Prin
July 7th, 2005, 06:19 PM
LOL. I know the answer to that kayla-- I don't pay the big bucks to study biology for nuthin'..

It's about the amount of light. If a short day plant gets less than 16 hours of rest, she won't flower. If a long day plant gets more then 8 hours of rest, he won't flower either. How to figure out if it's a long day or short day flower is a whole other story. That's what you need the two kids for. :D

My plant biology prof also said that if you rip a big, live branch off a tree, it has the same physiological reaction as ripping off a human arm. Good reason not to eat your veggies.

Prin
July 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM
hey!! The list is exhaustive but if your answer is not there, you have to post it down here...

Princesss04
July 7th, 2005, 06:47 PM
I think if you all would use it that it will be a great idea!

kandy
July 7th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Prin: Thanks for the giggle (on the last choice)! I needed it after some of the threads I've read today!

I think that it could be helpful sometimes, but I try to stay away from gardening as a rule. :) I have a thread out there about my stupid orchid but I'll probably end up giving it to my mom - she has a green thumb which I never inherited (maybe it's cuz I only have one kid???). I also asked a question about shade loving shrubs at one point too, so in my however many posts, I've asked two gardening questions and I'm not a gardener!

On the poll, the moderators probably need to take into account how many people actually vote and ask if there is really that big of demand for a seperate forum. As someone else said, we could drive the moderators crazy with requests for subforums. :D

kayla
July 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
My plant biology prof also said that if you rip a big, live branch off a tree, it has the same physiological reaction as ripping off a human arm. Good reason not to eat your veggies.

Thank god I don't eat trees! :eek: :D

kayla
July 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM
It's about the amount of light. If a short day plant gets less than 16 hours of rest, she won't flower. If a long day plant gets more then 8 hours of rest, he won't flower either. How to figure out if it's a long day or short day flower is a whole other story. That's what you need the two kids for. :D

I've got this stupid plant that has (had) a red spikey center/flower thingy which eventually turned brown and died and never came back :sad: Now it's just a bunch of boring leaves. Would that be a long or short day plant? Maybe I can find a pic online...

kayla
July 8th, 2005, 10:13 AM
It kind looks like this, which is called a "pink earth star" but i'm not entirely sure if it's exactly the same. (Ok, I could definitely use a plant forum, I've just hijacked this thread!) :D

SnowDancer
July 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I have kept a Hibicus alive for 6 days - a world's record - seriously. I can do in a standard yellow Mum in a day. Extremely acidic body chemistry. Doesn't stop me from trying though. I could use a lot of advice. Actually I do look at "That Home Site" Garden Web and dream. Vicious southern exposure at front - dark at back. Too many trees around back yard. For a small bungalow I don't know what the owner's in 1940 were thinking. And, sorry for the Cedar lovers out there, I HATE CEDARS. Even though they are on our private property they aren't dead so can't get rid of them. My husband thinks they provide us with privacy - actually they provide the neighbours with privacy while their yards look clean and well kept. Ours looks unkempt. Also neighbours to right made their yard "higher" resulting in excess water flow to our yard - serious swimming pool effect - there is a by-law againt this, but they have broken so many pointless to call. We will need to start trucking in the dirt. I can tell you though that while I currently have only 1 dog - and the 22 lb. cat - should I say have 2 dogs over to visit, it would take about 10 minutes for me to be reported as having too many dogs.

Prin
July 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I'm so curious as to who voted for plants are into animals... Care to explain?

That's the other problem: who is the authority on plants? Ain't me! Who knows what they are talking about?

Kayla, the extent of my knowledge ends at the short day/long day stuff... Beyond that, I'm useless... :D Why I need a plant forum. :D

Writing4Fun
July 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Short day/long day - if you know anything about that, Prin, then you're light years ahead of me! :D Basically, if it starts drooping, it gets more water. If it's still drooping, I move it to another part of the room. If it still droops after that, it's compost. :p Luckily, all the plants I have right now seem to be very happy where they are because they're all having a great time, as far as I can tell. The peace lily blooms continually (which completely shocks me every time). Heck, even my Christmas cactus will bloom from time to time - last time was in the middle of April. :confused:

kayla
July 8th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I've done a lot of study on native (to Quebec/Ontario) plants, but as far as tropical house plants go I'm totally useless! I'm sure there's a gardener out there somewhere on this board though, so come out come out wherever you are!

Prin
July 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Thems is some good rules, W4F! :)

If my plant biology prof is such a hit--- I just remembered: he used to say, "what is all this hype about dogs? Do they clean your air? No? Then what is the point? Go home today and touch your plants. Rub off the dust so they can breathe better."

He was a bit nuts. :D

Cactus Flower
July 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM
It would be okay, but what would you post? "My plant is acting weird, help!" "Don't support the Venus Fly Trap ban!" "Does anyone own a blue hydrangea?"xD :rolleyes: :crazy:

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angie79
July 8th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Help my mother in law keeps taking over my gardens...how do I make this stop ?????

A) kill plants (get rid of them)
B) get rid of her
C) tell her to get a life and play in her own garden
D) weeds are plants too
E) get rid of the weeds and there is nothing left

Writing4Fun
July 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hey! Where's the "all of the above" and "none of the above" selections?? :D :p

Items D & E - have you been checking out my lawn?? :eek:

Prin
July 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
angie-- plant some weeds. Go pick all those dandelion bally things and spread them all over your garden. You only have to overwhelm her once...

As for this:It would be okay, but what would you post? "My plant is acting weird, help!" "Don't support the Venus Fly Trap ban!" "Does anyone own a blue hydrangea?" You laugh, but Ragweed is banned in Montreal. PSL is coming. :p

angie79
July 8th, 2005, 01:28 PM
lol prin thats exactly what happened, was unable to pull the weeds and she kept commenting on it.... like I was the worlds worst person, she couldn't figure out I was injured and needed to concentrate on getting better and not making it worse..

anyways mother in laws should have thier own forum as well

Prin
July 8th, 2005, 01:35 PM
LOL Can you imagine eavesdropping? That would be hilarious!!

"I'm so perfect and nothing is ever good enough for me."
"You too? It's like we're the same person."
"Does your D-I-L have weeds in her garden?"
"Yes!!! Isn't it just so disgusting?"
"I KNOW!! Unbelievable, I don't know what he sees in her."

Writing4Fun
July 8th, 2005, 01:40 PM
LOL @ Prin. I think she meant having a forum where folks can complain about their MILs, not a forum for the MILs to post in. :D

Prin
July 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Oh. Oops.

So then:
"She thinks she's so perfect and nothing is ever good enough for her."
"You too? It's like we're the same person."
"Does your M-I-L rag on about the weeds in your garden?"
"Yes!!! Isn't it just so annoying?"
"I KNOW!! Unbelievable, I don't know why he has to be related to her."

Funny thing is, they're so alike, the MIL and DIL..

chico2
July 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM
well girls,I am one of those annoying people,who tends to deadhead flowers and sometimes pull weeds if I visit a messy garden,it's just like some little person in my head tells me to do it :D
I LOVE gardening and have quite a garden,don't know the names of most of them but they are thriving....my houseplants,about 25 of them are doing great,but living in an older house every window has a windowsill,perfect for cats and plants :D
I stay away from growing veggies,too many bugs and my next door neighbor is Italian,he gives me all the tomatoes and stuff I need..I only grow flowers and am very passionate about them,but I do sometimes have a question or two...
Oh,and by the way,I had three kids and never got really interested in growing flowers until at least two of them had moved out :evil:

pags
July 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM
LOL chico! You sound like me!! If we go to a park or something where they obviously aren't tending to the garden regularly - I find myself weeding. It's like I'm possessed. I can't help it! My husband doesn't take me on his errands to the bank anymore because they have a small garden full of marigolds and I spend my time dead-heading. :p

This has been a really hard gardening season for me as it's the first time I've ever been this far along in pregnancy during the warmest months.. I haven't been able to work in my garden at all and it looks like a city-scape from Planet of the Apes right now. :sad: Sigh. But! There's next year!

chico2
July 16th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Aww Pags,of course it's difficult in the heat and a baby-belly...there is always next year and I'm sure the plants you have will survive :love:

Rita
July 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Chico & Pags .... if you're ever in the Ottawa area feel free to drop by my place to do some dead heading and weeding !!! ;) :crazy:

marko
July 17th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Gardening forum is now Live in the off topic forum.

If you see threads that should belong there please PM one of the mods or me the thread URL and we will move it to that forum.

Thanks

Marko

Prin
July 17th, 2005, 05:44 PM
YEY!! Hopefully this will lead to the total death of the rule that you can only garden well when you have given birth to an even number of kids. We'll see. :D