Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog yelping while having bowel movement

BicentennialMan
July 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Hello all. I have a 8 year old American Staffordshire Terrier that is having problems having a bowel movement. I've had to help him pass some stringlike material before, but this time I think he got a hold of a spare rib bone from the 4th. Yesturday and today, he yelped very loudly while trying to pass. Not much if anything is coming out. He didn't eat today, and he yelped again when trying to have a bowel movement. He had some feces stuck in the opening of his anus that I tried to help remove. It was had some hard pieces like bone in it, and a string like substance like from the inside of a comforter. His nose is still cold and wet, and his mood is the same....he has been laying around a little bit more though. Is this something to take him to the vet about? It's been about 30 hours total since the first episode. Any advice? It hurts me so much to here him yelp in pain the way he did last night.

Melinda
July 7th, 2005, 04:48 PM
take him to the vets, there could be a bone splinter caught in his bowels which is causing pain when he passes his stools, they could be tearing inside. The vet may just tell you to use a laxative, but even the string from a comforter could be tangled and is twisting his bowels, Get the poor pet some help, has there been any blood in his stools?

lezzpezz
July 7th, 2005, 04:49 PM
YES! Get your dog to the vet. No poop for 30 hours is signs of a severe blockage and not necessarily right at the back door, if you know what I mean. If you think it hurts you when he yelps, just imagine what it feels like to him. Look at it this way....how uncomfortable are you if you don't have a few regular bowel movements a day? 30 hours is not normal and your dog is definitely telling you that he is suffering. He will likely need xrays and hopefully not surgery. I have assisted with surgeries on dogs with blockages and torsions, (twists), and it is very serious and painful for the animal. Please take your dog immediately to the vet, because this can kill your pet if not treated immediately!!

BicentennialMan
July 7th, 2005, 04:50 PM
No blood in the stool so far. Thanks for the advice.

Mike

lezzpezz
July 7th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Get thee to the vet. The sooner you go the better your dogs chances are. And please keep us posted!

Melinda
July 7th, 2005, 04:58 PM
You're welcome Mike, please post back and let us know how he is doing.

BicentennialMan
July 7th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Caesar is going to be seen tonight in about 2 hours by a local vet clinic in the area. Wish us luck, and thanks for the urgent responses. I've had dogs all of my life and never had anything like this happen before.

Prin
July 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Good luck and thank you for bringing him to the vet right away. Sometimes people post and then don't go. We like happy endings here. You have to come back and update us. :fingerscr :)

lezzpezz
July 8th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Hi there. Just wondering how Caesar made out at the vet......is he okay? :o

Melinda
July 8th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Mike.....where are you? We'd love to find out how Caesar is doing, and how you are doing.

lezzpezz
July 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM
No word yet on your dog....how's Caesar? Did everything go well?

SnowDancer
July 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I want to know as well. I would also appreciate it if people who post signs on hydro poles asking for help in locating their missing pets, put up a notice if pet is found - hopefully alive.

lezzpezz
July 11th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I agree with that totally. I was considering calling the phone # on the poster for the dog missing since the last fireworks show, to see if he had found his dog yet. These posters are everywhere and the fireworks were on July 1. May I also add, (unrelated) that it would also be nice if posters for garage sales were removed immediately after the sale has taken place. Just a thorn in my side! :o

Melinda
July 11th, 2005, 04:52 PM
I agree with that totally. I was considering calling the phone # on the poster for the dog missing since the last fireworks show, to see if he had found his dog yet. These posters are everywhere and the fireworks were on July 1. May I also add, (unrelated) that it would also be nice if posters for garage sales were removed immediately after the sale has taken place. Just a thorn in my side! :o

Here here...I agree totally, thats a pet peeve of mine , I think ten days after the garage sale if they aren't taken down then they should be fined, after all, their addy is still on the ad, another pet peeve while we're on the topic, I know, this wasn't the topic to begin with *L* but xmas decorations....by valentines day people should be visited by xmas police and fined for still having decorations out *L* grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

lezzpezz
July 11th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I have actually removed a garage sale sign from a post and returned it to the address listed, (hahahaha), for them to dispose of! Enough junk out there to ruin the view! I'm sure the sellers were not too thrilled!! :p

Christmas lights only really bother me if they are left on waaaayyyy past Christmas. I understand not taking them down in our parts, 'cause the weather is usually not very co-operative for several months! You're lucky to get a clear and fair day when you can get the ladder out!! :o

SnowDancer
July 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I have trouble dealing with those gigantic inflated decorations. My Eskimo hates them - my mini Dachshund was planning a raid to take them out.

lezzpezz
July 11th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Ah yes, the new trend in decorations. I truly think the inflatables are a bit tacky but I bet little kids love them. Not for me. My dogs don't give a toss about them either way, but you're right...they need to be taken down sometime in January at the latest!!

happycats
July 11th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I have actually removed a garage sale sign from a post and returned it to the address listed, (hahahaha), for them to dispose of! Enough junk out there to ruin the view! I'm sure the sellers were not too thrilled!! :p

My friend loves yard sales, and if it's an old sign, she goes to their house at 7:00am and knocks on the door, and says "your sign says your having a yard sale", they get really mad at her, but the signs are removed really fast :evil:

Luba
July 11th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Oh that is really really funny!

I love yard sales as well! We have a fuddy duddy on our street who when u turn your back he rips your signs down. One day I waited for him to do it then popped out and said....oh thank u for straightening my sign. Would you like to be my first customer LMFHO

He left them up :D

BicentennialMan
July 18th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Sorry for the delay. Netscape wouldn't let me sign in with my account so my bookmark to this site was lost, but obviously things are normal pc wise again.

Caesar is doing fine. He had 2 x-rays done and it shown that he had 3-2" pieces of bone in his stomach that the vet said hopefully it'll dissolve without passing through the GI tract intact. Caesar didn't have any tears in his intestines. He's going without yelping, but I did have to help him 3 days ago. Apparently he had gotten a hold of some bedding material from inside of a blanket. That blanket is now out of his reach, so everything is A-OK. He's on some antibiotics just to be on the safe side. Thanks for everybody's concerns and suggestions. I feel much better being able to let you guys know this....believe me it was killing me not being able to find this site. Take care and GOD speed.

Mike

White Wolf
July 18th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Thank you for the update. I hope he feels better soon. :)

pags
July 18th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Oh good for Caesar!! Always great to hear some good news. :D I, too, hope he keeps feeling better and better!!!

And now that you have found the site again -- how about you keep coming back to visit? The more the merrier!!