Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Older Dog Head Tilt Walking impaired

Rich P
July 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I have a mixed breed dog mostly terrier who is 15 years old. She has rather suddenly developed problems walking. She seems to almost walk sideways and appears unstable on her feet. If she was human I would swear she was drunk. She has also begun holding her head at a funny angle. Kind of to the side and titled. She does not seem to be in pain but does appear restless and won't eat her normal food. Any ideas ?

Well I took my pup to the Vet and her diagnosis was vestibular syndrome. She gave her a shot and a perscription but it doesn't seemed to have helped much but a little. She is eating a little more and her personality is starting to return but still has the head tilt and unbalanced walking. Hopefully she just needs more time for the meds to work. Thanks everyone !

Luba
July 7th, 2005, 01:49 PM
That can be a number of things, seriously a lot of things.

What did your vet say?

Is this constant or does it happen from time to time?

Beaglemom
July 7th, 2005, 01:52 PM
It could be a variety of things. It could be neurological or it could be a middle ear infection or manyother things. I believe that she is in some pain since she is restless and is not eating normally. These tend to be signs that a dog is in some sort of discomfort.

If you haven't done so already, please seek veterinary advise. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.

coppperbelle
July 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM
A few months ago I read about a Sheltie that had the same problem. It is called vestibular syndrome. I copied this from the Canadian Goldens web site where I originally read about this syndrome.
"It is actually pretty common in older dogs. According to my UC Davis book of dogs Quote "old dog vestibular syndrome occurs very suddenly and clears up by its self in about a week without treatment". Signs are loss of balance, rapid eye movements, tilting head and leaning or rolling".
It may be a good idea to visit your vet to be sure.

Prin
July 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Could also be labyrinthitis, which is an emergency. If untreated can have permanent damage. Please run to the vet to be sure.

Karin
July 8th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Sounds like the classic stroke symptoms.

SnowDancer
July 8th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Definitely take your dog to the vet. The symptoms you have described are very serious.

Luba
July 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I had gone through the same thing with a former dog...everyone thought it was inner ear then stroke then vestibular...when it was actually cancer that had spread rapidly and slowing shutting the body down.