Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What up with that Tom?

Shamrock
July 6th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Guess he has become the butt of many jokes... keeping the late night talk show writers busy for the next while.
Have to feel kind of sorry for him..almost.
But- he brought it on himself, didnt he?
I've never cared much for either Tom Cruise or Brooke Shields.. but after reading her response of the other day... I must say that she certainly comes out looking far better - handled the situation with class and grace.
Good for her for sharing her story with others, and in a very candid and honest way.

Has he said anything at all?
Any statement to explain his odd behaviour?
Issued any retraction for his irresponsible statements - any apology for harm he may have caused?
I've not heard a thing - just wondering if he has admitted he kind of went off the deep end?
Vitamin deficiency, I guess... :D

Writing4Fun
July 6th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Sorry, I missed that one. What's he up to, and what does he have to do with Brooke??

Karin
July 6th, 2005, 10:57 PM
It's already old news down here. This whole topic has been played out to the top two weeks ago.
Tom Cruise got his nose out of joint over the L. Ron Hubbard debate.

Sorry, I forgot he was born with that nose.

Safyre
July 6th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Scientology teaches that psychology is a bunch of cow manure. Tom Cruise went on saying her knew the history of psychology and that there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance, its all propaganda bs, and that Brooke Sheilds was weak, or something of the sort, for taking Pixil during post partum depression.

I for one, did not take offence to his comments. I am on anti depressants, infact, i was on Paxil 4 yars ago (evil drug, evil evil evil). Some ppl have different opinions. Should he have personally attacked someone, no, ofcourse not. But he is allowed to believe what he wants.
I don't think be brought it on himself, he has always felt this way, and he has made a comment about Brooke Sheilds before that wasn't hyped soo much. Brooke Sheils didn't ask for it either, she put out a book with her story, her opinions, she just can't think everyone will agree.
The media just loves Tom Cruise right now ... they get their hooks on one person, and its all you can hear about.
Remember Pars Hilton last year, my gawd you couldn't turn on a TV without hearing her name

Angeleyes1437
July 6th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I know... it gets annoying after a while. I for one think he has been acting like an idiot with Katie Holmes- but I try not to follow that nonsense. Who knows... in a couple of weeks it could be called off due to the fact that it was staged in the first place.

Luba
July 6th, 2005, 11:40 PM
He's probably taking something himself LMFHO

Shamrock
July 7th, 2005, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=Safyre]Scientology teaches that psychology is a bunch of cow manure. Tom Cruise went on saying her knew the history of psychology and that there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance, its all propaganda bs,/QUOTE]

Actually,Safyre, I believe they teach that "psychiatry" is a a bunch of cow manure. Pyschology's not the same thing.

Tom's bizzare behaviour regarding his betrothed is, well, curious for a guy his age. :confused: .And its true they have zeroed in on him with a vengeange lately -the target of the month. Celebrities acting odd in public sure gets attention, but its harmless. :crazy:

What is NOT harmless, imo, are his assinine and dangerous allegations regarding mental health issues. Its a topic he clearly has no understanding of and no business spouting off on.
Does he have any degrees in this field? I understand he didnt finish high school, yet now is able to announce to the world through his "study of its history" that psychiatry is a fraud, psychiatric meds should be avoided as they only "mask" symptoms, and there's no such thing as a chemical imbalance.

Wow! What a RELIEF to know that. And, the "cure" is so simple - evading professionals and experts in the field all this time. Vitamins and excercise!

Well, Dr Tom..
Tell that to the young mother suffering such post-partum depression she's contemplating suicide.
Tell that to the schizophrenic terrorized by voices and hallucinations.
Or the person who is bi-polar, or who suffers crippling social anxiety and panic attacks, or profound immobilizing depression. Tell those with Alzheimers Disease, and a host of other serious psychiatric disorders that the medications that help them cope, function and enjoy peace of mind are redundant,and unnecessary - for weaklings.
Excercise and vitamins are all you need.

Shame on him, I say, promoting such garbage. He owes an apology to those who struggle to cope with these issues, and to those try to help with treatment, counselling - and in some cases medications - on a temporary or permanent basis.

Though this latest "Tom story" is somewhat done in the media.. I wondered if he had offered any retraction?

I think he may have developed a chemical imbalance of his own....

Karin
July 7th, 2005, 07:02 AM
[QUOTE=Safyre]Scientology teaches that psychology is a bunch of cow manure.

LMAO!

What I really find funny is the joke will be on Tom and all the others who follow this Scientology sect. Many decades ago the founder made a bet with some of his other science fiction writers that he could create his own cult and have a massive following within one decade.
I quess he won the bet.

Years ago I went to one of his appearences in Orlando. I left shaking my head in wonder. I was wondering what was I thinking when I bought the tickets. That money would have been better spent in a bar.

Schwinn
July 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM
He's probably taking something himself LMFHO

Actually, ironically enough, those close to him say that part of the reason he is acting bizarre is he is off of his ADD meds. Watching his behaviour, this actually makes sense. Of course, it doesn't excuse him for acting like an ass. I was a big fan of his, until the last few weeks.

pags
July 7th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Actually, ironically enough, those close to him say that part of the reason he is acting bizarre is he is off of his ADD meds. Watching his behaviour, this actually makes sense. Of course, it doesn't excuse him for acting like an ass. I was a big fan of his, until the last few weeks.

OMG that IS how he has been acting!!! I had no idea. If one of my boys acts like that the school calls and tells me to make an appointment for medication! No WONDER I was so irritated watching the video clips... I found myself saying outloud "Do not interrupt when someone else is speaking! Do NOT get in people's faces they find it rude!! And stop jumping on the furniture!!!"

kandy
July 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I bought an L. Ron Hubbard book back in the 80's (in my self help era) and couldn't get past the first chapter. In this day and age, he should've known better than to try to attack anyone for not following his personally preferred 'religion'. It was ridiculous of him to say that there are no true psychiatric disorders and that someone was weak for taking any meds for such a condition. He could've said that he would never choose to take any such drugs himself, rather than berate others for taking them. No wonder Nicole dumped him! :)

Luvmypit
July 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Hes an arse. He was going off on ADD meds also. which I agree is over used and over diagnosed. I have a step daughter that is ADD and she has been checked by many physicians. Well 2 and one expert. If ADD meds are wrong and Vitamins, diet and exercise are what he is taking to 'cure' it then it ain't working Tom!