Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Wedding Gown

Shamrock
July 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I am getting rid of many items in the home that I have been saving - and saving. Mostly clothing and sentimental items.
Well, I've made a lot of progress, its a great feeling! I have boxes of clothing, knick-knacks and household items to donate. And the closet space! Wow! :crazy:

Last night I emptied out a spare bedroom closet.. removed about 10 jackets and some dressy work clothes that I am never going to wear. They are going!
And hanging in the back of this closet - my daughter's wedding gown. I took it out of its cloth wrapping and placed it on the bed.. Its SO beautiful. I recalled that day... how gorgeous and radiant a bride she was. ( as all brides are) :queen:

This is an item I never wanted in the first place - its not MY wedding dress after all. Mine's LONG gone, decades ago - but was not a "traditional" gown.

When she was married, Colleen wanted to rent her dress, but we wound up buying this one at one of the bridal galleries. She kept it for about a year or so - then one day just brought it over here. She said she didnt want to keep it - and as it was so expensive, I should sell it, get some of my money back.
But - I didnt care about the money. I thought she should keep it.. maybe her daughter might wear it one day? (who is now nine)
She said that would be very unlikely that she would want to wear her mother's gown. Ok.. well.. maybe HER daughter? But that is a long long ways away.... and to keep a gown that long requires careful preserving.
I guess she's more practical, my daughter -thought it should go.
Maybe that whole idea is from a different era, times change. :)

But - I put it in a spare closet instead - "just in case".
Now here it is, four years later. What to do with it?
I guess I'll get rid of it. Suppose I could sell it on consignment..or just donate it somewhere along with the rest of this stuff..
Seems a shame to see it go, somehow. Its that sentimental part of me - but it's just a dress when all is said and done. ;)

What did you...(or your wife) do with your wedding gown?
Or do you still have yours?
And if you do... what are the plans for it?

Writing4Fun
July 6th, 2005, 06:47 PM
My wedding gown is stuffed in a closet somewhere. I don't have any daughters (and don't plan on having one in the future, either :p ), so my keeping it is purely out of sheer laziness. I just can't be bothered to bring it out and do something with it. :D

If your daughter's gown is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece, then I'd hang onto it in case her daughter wants it one day. If it was like mine, one of dozens off the rack, then I'd say sell it if you can, or donate it if you can't sell it. E-Bay, baby!! :thumbs up

raingirl
July 6th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Um...what size would it be by chance? My best friend is getting married in 4 weeks, and she is now 5 months pregnant (wasn't pregnant when she bought the dress last summer) and doesn't know if she will fit into hers. She is about a size 12...so we are hoping she will fit into a size 14. Just thought I would ask. She is really broke (her and fiance are saving up for him to emigrate to canada) and If you were willing to sell it for a low cost, she may be interested. She is living in Scotland right now, coming back to Canada for the wedding in 2 weeks.

Shamrock
July 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Raingirl, I had to go and check. I thought it would be a ten, but its a size 12
slightly altered (in) if I recall) Too small?
I have about a zilllion pics as you can imagine.. but just discovered that only one or two were ever scanned to my computer at that time.

Here is one photo... but it doesnt do the dress justice at all, as no detail can be seen. It is ivory, and beading on the front, roses on the shoulders and the back is very detailed. It would be very nice for an summer garden wedding, (what she had)

Wrtining for Fun... no it just came off the rack, its no designer dress. Never thought of Ebay.. thanks for the suggestion.
I think I will just wind up donating it to a charity..

All the best of luck to your friend, Raingirl - very exciting time in life on two counts! :grouphug:

Safyre
July 6th, 2005, 11:16 PM
That is a very pretty dress, i was going to suggest posting a pic of it, before I scrolled down.
Few suggestions come to mind as I am typing
First, ask your grand daughter if she would like the dress saved.
Second, if you are going to get rid of the dress, take a picture of your grand daughter in it fist. Obviously, it won't fit very well, but it will be a very cute memory. If she was younger, i woulda suggested taking a picture with the dress for every year, birthday to birthday (i've heard of ppl doing this with a dad's shirt or other items)

If you are ogingto get rid of it, see if your city has a freecycling.org website, and give itaway for free to someone that is in need, and wanting to look beauitful on their wedding day.

It is a very beatifu dress, so I believe it would be possible to sell it,very pretty.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 6th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I wore my mothers wedding dress. She never actually ended up wearing it as they were married during ww2 and they had a civil ceromony with my dad in military uniform and my mom in a basic suite.

The dress originated from china and my grandfather actually went there and bought the material then had the dress made for my mom.

Fast forward to 8 kids later and 8 years ago. The dress somehow ended up in my oldest sisters closet in Victoria. The dress was mentioned to me when I was looking for a wedding dress. I decided to try it on. It was chinese silk and ivory in color. I had it fitted and I loved it. It was quite appropriate too as my husband happens to be chinese canadian.

One thing I was upset about though is I had left it at my parents house and one of my nieces took it and totally altered it and made it her own. I actually wanted to have it as a keepsake. I will never have any daughters but the fact it was just given away was upsetting to me.

So I would ask your grandaughter if she wants the dress as it might mean a lot to her if she is the sentimental type like me.

lilith_rizel
July 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I am keeping mine. I take it out time to time to look at it, and try it on, of course it doesn't fit anymore. LOL, my chest is a little big for it now...... Oh well, maybe Judith will like it, and wear it for her wedding or prom. It isn't all that fancy and could easliy pass as a prom gown. There is no bead work and is just plain white, with a silve design on the torso. I just can't part with it. Neither can James. He has asked me to put it on, so he could see it on me again.......

Princesss04
July 6th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I still have mine! I had it preserved! I love it and would not get rid of it. Althought I want my daughter to have one of her own! :D

BMDLuver
July 7th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I still have my wedding dress. I can't seem to part with it, just keep moving it from place to place. I was thinking of having it cut down into two first communion dresses for my daughters when the time comes. I know of others who have done that. It's still quite a few years from now so in my closet it stays.

Blaze01
July 7th, 2005, 12:23 PM
When my mom was married and went to her receiption my grandmother turned her dress into bridal sheets...it was a very beautiful suprise and I dont think it took my grandmother to long (she is very good with stuff like that)
I guess my grandmother knew that my mom would never wear it again and she wanted it to have some meaning...plus i think it is some old German custom or something.

Luba
July 7th, 2005, 12:46 PM
You can use the material over again to make something....just a thought??
Would make lovely accent pillows :eek:

Writing4Fun
July 7th, 2005, 12:47 PM
OK, folks, did a quick google search on what to do with the gown after the wedding (if you don't put in "after", you'll get a bazillion sites on how to choose and care for the gown). A few ideas were:

preserve it for posterity
save it for the next generation
have it made into a christening gown
sell it
donate it to charity
have it made into a quilt
donate it to a theatre company
have it made into an evening gown

Some of these are interesting...

Blaze01
July 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
If you wanted to make money from it you could sell it but think how happy a bride would be to have that beautiful dress for free...I know alot of women whose husbands are going into the military and they were hard up for money. One girl got her dress at a thift store and another got one from a family friend. Maybe you could even loan it out...that way others would be able to enjoy it but you would get to keep it...

JDG
July 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM
eBay!

:D

pamha
July 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I used the skirt from my mom`s gown and we made a new bodice to go with it (something old & something new). I agree with asking the granddaughter and at least getting a pic of her in it. If you have space to store it, I lean more towards keeping it 'just in case'. If it needs to go, I vote for Freecycle too.

glasslass
July 7th, 2005, 08:00 PM
A couple women in my city have started a business renting out wedding gowns. They're doing very well and have added bridesmaid dresses, mother of the bride dresses, and prom gowns. There is really quite a demand for this service. This is the norm in Japan where a bride changes gowns several times during the ceremony and reception afterwards.
My mom restores antique dolls. One of her customers brought her wedding gown and Mom made a similar dress out of it for her doll. She was thrilled with the results. Mom got to keep the leftover fabric and lace.

Prin
July 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Too bad my friend getting married wants a strapless... It's a pretty dress.

Writing4Fun
July 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Hey, Lass, we should get your mom together with my aunt. She has all sorts of dolls around the house and she's made all their gowns from scratch. It's just a hobby for her - her daughter is in her 40's now and has no need for dolls any longer. :p

By the way, I like your siggy! I had just read it earlier today in my Uncle John's Bathroom Reader (see? they're dead useful!) and was contemplating changing my own siggy. Guess I'll have to keep looking now. :D

doggy lover
July 8th, 2005, 09:45 AM
My Mum made my dress into a Christening gown for my children. She was a seamstress in her day and made the dress up for me. It turned out beautiful, I'll have to go find some pics for ya though.

doggy lover
July 8th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Ok I scanned this for you, its not the best pic of the dress on my daughter but it was the only one I could find right now.

AliSam
July 8th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Mine wasn't the traditional white gown as I eloped and I can't really wear white. I have almost ivory skin and I look too washed out in all white. My dress was a mint green semi-formal dress. I still have it and have worn it once since to a ritzy restaurant. I think it still fits and I would wear it again to the right event. It is currently wrapped in plastic in my spare room.

Shamrock
July 8th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Doggy Lover, what lovely photos! And the gown turned out so pretty as a christening gown for your daughter. How beautiful she looks in it.

Well, thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.. Some very good ideas here that I never would have thought of. :thumbs up

I am going to talk to my daughter over the weekend - just in case.
Just to confirm she's not had a change a change of heart on this, or might be interested in any of these ideas at all.
If not.. well, guess its up to me then... :)

janesm
December 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I'm all for selling your wedding dress. There's really no point for it to sit in the back of your closet for the rest of your life. An your daughter will not want to get married in mums gown 20 years from now.

I sold my dress online for about 60% of what I paid.

Luvmypitgirls
December 11th, 2010, 01:52 PM
When I got married, I didn't have a wedding gown. I wore a ( rented) beautiful quilted ivory custom tux style jacket with a chiffon skirt. I was 8 months pregnant at the time so finding a wedding gown to fit seemed impossible.
We are planning to renew our vows this coming July, for our 20th wedding anniversary, and I am planning on wearing a traditional style wedding gown this time around!
I am going to start my search for a gown after the holidays, I'm hoping to find a "previously enjoyed" gown or rent one to save money. Renting would be preferable, I've got enough clutter in my closet.