Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fergus needs your help - itchy and flustered doggy!

Fairs
July 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM
My dog Fergus was taken to the Vet yesterday (Tuesday) after his eyes became pink and swollen - suspected bee sting or insect bite. He was given an antihistimine which worked for a while, but his eyes were still a bit swollen at the end of the night - he hasn't been too bad today but this afternoon, he became very fidgety and can't sit still - shaking his head, scratching his face on the floor, rolling around on the floor trying to itch himself.

Just wondering what I should do - it's currently after 1am in Australia, so I cannot visit a vet till tomorrow - is there anything i can give him to help him settle for the night?

thanks in advance

nymph
July 6th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Cold wet towel could probably help with the itching. I'd take him to see the vet first thing in the morning though.

Melinda
July 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM
it sounds like what happened to my dog 3 yrs ago, turned out it was an allergy, to my floor cleaner, mop and glow, any cleaner that says "new and improved" has a chemical in it to dry almost instantly, it really affects dogs.

Fairs
July 6th, 2005, 11:43 AM
thanks guys, he seems to be settled (on my bed!) but still looking at me with those eyes that say i am not really comfortable. if he is still like it in the morning , he will definately be off to the vet - he is very flich-y.

don't want to disturb him now he's quiet - but i would really like to go to bed! :pawprint:

Fairs
July 6th, 2005, 11:47 AM
ahhh, he's up again - shaking his head, rubbing his eyes, rubbing his face on the floor and doing some funky licking thing with his tongue (like he is trying to get something off it) might be a long night....

nymph
July 6th, 2005, 12:24 PM
My puppy Diego is doing all that now. I brought him to see the vet today, and was told that lots of pets get allergies around this time in this part of the world, it could be small insect bites or allergy from fibers in the grass. The vet prescribed some kind of antihistamine steroid to help with the itching. My vet also said that giving Diego adult's regular strength Benadryl would help, 25mg for every 50lbs, 3 times daily. I also bought some fatty acid capsules and will give him one per day.