Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Laser spaying

Melinda
July 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Has anyone had their dog spayed using the new laser surgery? They can come home the same day, anesthesia is usually reduced since the surgeon does not need to take time to stop the minor bleeding that occurs with most traditional surgeries, there is no or little scarring and there is reduced swelling. Brina will be spayed in 4 months and I'm exploring the options.

coppperbelle
July 6th, 2005, 08:15 AM
My male was neutered using this method when he was 6 months old. I brought him to the vet in the morning and picked him up that evening. HE was a bit groggy but the next day you would never have known he had had surgery. He recovered quickly with no problems whatsoever. I would recommend it.

Melinda
July 6th, 2005, 08:28 AM
thanks Coppperbelle, now to convince hubby to spend the extra $200. *L*

nymph
July 6th, 2005, 12:32 PM
It shouldn't be that much of a difference in price. My vet only charges about $40 more for laser surgery as compared to normal scalpel surgery.

From what I've learned, scalpel surgery for dogs is a fairly simple procedure as it is, true laser surgery reduces blood loss to the minimum, but we are talking perhaps an improvement of 1-2%.

That being said, I'm going to spend that extra 40 bucks on my pup, but if it's $200 more, I'd probably stay with scalpel surgery.

Luba
July 6th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info I'd never heard of it and glad that it now avail for our pets YIPPIE :D

Roxy's_MA
July 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Yes my vet only charged $40 dollars extra. There is supposed to be less blood during the surgery and faster healing.

coppperbelle
July 6th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Wow, $200.00 extra. I don't know what it cost because it was paid through the rescue organization.

Melinda
July 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM
at our vets, I just checked, mind you, it has been 4 yrs since I've had a dog spayed and the prices have changed so I will correct myself from my first earlier post. scalpel spaying is $158.00 and laser surgery is $258. quite a bit of difference. The other vet in town charges $360. for laser and $190. for scalpel