Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions to ask breeders when looking for a puppy

Jenmlf
July 5th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I am in the process of looking for a breeder for our first Bichon Frise and am looking for some advice on what are good questions to ask the potential breeder of our puppy. Any advice at all on this topic would be greatly apprechiated. Thanks! :thumbs up

Karin
July 5th, 2005, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=Jenmlf] Any advice at all on this topic would be greatly apprechiated.

Duck & run for cover.

Angeleyes1437
July 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM
LOL!!! Karin, that was funny... I actually did laugh out loud... and she's right- get ready for it! Everyone on here will MAKE SURE you know it all!

Check out this link to another recent thread regarding the same matter.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16866&highlight=breeder+questions

MIA
July 5th, 2005, 06:20 PM
www.nopuppymillscanada.ca has tons of information.

Lucky Rescue
July 5th, 2005, 06:22 PM
A few things I can think of offhand:

Do they show their dogs?

Are the sire and dam of the litter champions?

What are the genetic defects common to this breed, and have their dogs been tested and cleared of them? (a reputable breeder will be happy to answer in detail!)

What do they like about any dogs they are breeding or puppies they have?

How often do they breed and for what reason?

Do they have a waiting list? (they should)

What are the pedigrees of breeding stock? Ask to see them.

Do they take back their puppies at any time in the life of the dog?

I'm sure others here can think of more!

Angeleyes1437
July 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
To add to LR I can say that any reputable breeder would demand a spay/neuter contract.

mona_b
July 5th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Actuall I'm going to go a different route here.I'm going to let you know what you should be looking for in a responsible,reputable breeder.Then you can take it from there into asking questions. :)

Make sure:

They are from show Champions.

You see the pedigree papers from the past 5 generations

All dogs have been health and genetic tested.(see proof.this is not done from a regular vet.Make sure they give you a copy)

They have waiting lists.

Participate in events sponsored by national clubs.

They take back their pups for any reason.

They are in outstanding with the CKC.

They have a s/n contract.

Are they raised in the house.

Make sure you see the parents.(some will not have the Sires.But ask to see them)

Do they have written health gaurentees.

Which health problems has this breeder encountered the most over the years? (If they've bred several litters and they claim they've never had any problems, beware!)

If either the dam or sire is fearful of anything or aggressive toward any humans forget it.

Are they willing to give referenses.

These are a few that come to my tired mind...LOL

LavenderRott
July 5th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Also - they only breed one or maybe two breeds of dogs and litters of puppies ARE NOT something they have all the time.

Jenmlf
July 5th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Hi all just wanted to thank you all for your great info. Its definately some food for thought! Ok so what would you think of a breeder that is "known" for breeding specialty companion dogs? I have one breeder in mind who breeds 3 types of dogs, they are selling the type of dog I want for a cheaper price then all the rest I saw and they are vet checked with 1st shots. I just want to be really really sure. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming!
:p

LavenderRott
July 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM
RUN!!!

I promise you that the chances that any type of genetic testing to check for luxating patellas or any thing else that is common to the breed has NOT been done. Luxating patellas can cripple a dog, and if it is bad enough - before the dog is a year old. The surgery to correct it can be VERY expensive.

While this breeder may be cheaper now, in the long run chances are very good that you will spend double or triple the money saved on vet bills. If finding the best possible breeder is not important - check with rescue groups in your area. Or find the breed club and see about a rescue group recommended by them.

No responsible breeder breeds "specialty companion dogs". The goal of a responsible breeder is to improve the breed. This means that the pups that aren't quite good enough for the ring are exceptional companion dogs.

doggirl
July 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM
You want to know who to go to and who to avoid - call the breed rescue in your area, they'll refer you to the REPUTABLE breeders. The breed club might help also. But rescue will know whose dogs are coming into rescue (hallmark of a bad breeder) and who titles, proves, and stands behind their dogs.

Lucky Rescue
July 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I have one breeder in mind who breeds 3 types of dogs, they are selling the type of dog I want for a cheaper price then all the rest I saw and they are vet checked with 1st shots.
Agree with LavenderRott. Run!

Good breeders do not have "competitive prices" or breed "specialties" of any kind.

This person probably has spent nothing on health testing or showing, so can afford to peddle cut rate puppies.

Her price may not seem so cheap if your puppy ends up needing expensive surgery down the road.

YOu know, its' "Pay me now or pay me later", and in this case the payment may be a lot more later than it would cost now to get a healthy puppy from a reputable breeder.