Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Lucy-Fur the Pixie Bob

Beatle412
July 5th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I had mentioned earlier about submitting Lucy to a "Pets for the elderly" program. I took her into the office and they weren't real enthused becasue there were some behavior problems. I tried to explain that these problems were due to her current environment, but before then she was a rather placid cat. They said they would process her paperwork but not to gte to hopeful becasue her file would be flagged as a potential problem cat. (How awful!) So we went home and went about our day, (She promptly bolted for the guest bedroom)

Today I got a call this morning about an interrested adoptee for Lucy. She couldn't come over here becasue she doesn't drive so we went there and Lucy seemed to be a little bit happier. This lady lives in an assisted living apartment complex and loves cats, but her recently deceased husband was allergic to them. She was really nice and we talked and I think Lucy has a new home, hopefully! Lucy was kind of stand-offish but by the time we left she was rubbing her fac all over the ladys legs and her furniture.

I don't know the ettiquete of pet adoption, so what information, (other than vet records which the PFE also has) do I leave, and do I take her food, litter box, what all do I take with the cat?

Since the lady doesn't drive is it proper to volunteer to take her and the cat to any needed vet appointments? There is no public transportation here and a taxi ride would cost a fortune. Or do I bow out completely? I don't know here, so some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie

CyberKitten
July 5th, 2005, 02:30 PM
It would be very kind of you to help thisn potential adopter in driving her and Lucy to vet appts but I don't think I have ever seen that as part of a contract. You do need to do a thorough check - background references and I know Lucky Rescue and others have copies of contracts you can utilize. I am sure she is a great person but you need to know that for certain - you are after all entrusting her with a life!! You could offer to help her if you feel that it would be helpful but it should not be part of the contract or necessary for adoption.

Lucky Rescue
July 5th, 2005, 03:19 PM
This sounds ideal for Lucy!

Finding homes for cats like her is NOT easy, so I personally would take all her food, litterbox and stuff with her. In return, you might ask this lady to make a donation to a rescue or shelter in lieu of an adoption fee.

Make sure this woman is willing and able to pay for vet care for Lucy.I would make up an adoption contract, stating that if anything happens to this lady that the cat comes back to you and must NOT ever be given to a shelter or to another person without your knowledge or consent.

IF you need a copy of an adoption contract, PM me your email and I'll send you one.

Offering to help by driving her to vet visits, etc would be very nice!!:)

pags
July 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Heya Beatle - it sounds like this will be a great thing for Lucy!!
We just recently found a home for the stray who adopted us a couple of weeks ago -- and our vet wrote up a short contract stating much of what Lucky said in her post.. Basically that if she was no longer able to take care of her that she MUST be returned to me (or in my absence - to our vet) and under no circumstances brought to the shelter. Also - that she would be responsible for vet care, etc.

I think it would be fine of you to help with the vet visits. I told Keebler's adoptive Mom that I would gladly go with her to the vet if her husband wasn't available at the time. Not only are you helping your kitty - but you're helping an elderly woman. What a great opportunity for you!! :)

chico2
July 5th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Beatle412,I am very happy for Lucy,I agree with Lucky and the others about a contract,just to make sure Lucy does not end up PTS in a shelter.
I think she'll do great with a lady who is alone,probably just what she needed.
It would be very kind of you to offer transportation to the vet,at the same time you can see for yourself how Lucy is doing...
I hope the lady is patient and gives Lucy time to adjust to a forever home and I am sure Lucy will be a wonderful companion.