Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

is it time to put my dog away

iluvlucyricky
July 5th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I have a 13 year old mix lab. He has always been very healthy but about three years ago I had some sores taken off him. The lab report was cancer and the vet said that this type of cancer usually affects the spleen. He has been healthy since then. Had a couple more places taken off (all were located around his penis). He has been on rhymedil (spelling?) every other day for over a year. About a month ago he started having problems walking with his back legs. Vet took him off his meds and put him on steroids. Said it is probably arthritis attacking his tail and moving up his spine. He has gotten progressively worse. He now pratically drags his legs. Sometimes his paw will turn under him when he walks. His entire back side has developed atrophy. He now just lays around and barely eats. What do I need to do? Is it time to let him go?

nymph
July 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Oh I'm really sorry to hear this. :sorry:

You'll know it when the time comes.

Lucky Rescue
July 5th, 2005, 10:22 AM
If your dog just lies around, is in pain, not eating and has cancer in his spleen, then it might be time to humanely let him go.

This decision is the most difficult one for all of us, but your dog has had 13 long and happy years and if this were my dog, I would do it before his last memories are only of suffering.

I"m very sorry.:(

Please come back and let us know.

Shamrock
July 5th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I am very sorry your dog is so ill. :sorry:
From what you've described, it sounds like he's in a steady decline. He has had 13 happy years with you, and the difficult decision of "when" is an agonizing one. :sad:
I'd suggest talking to your vet on your dog's present quality of life, as that is really the deciding factor. He does sound like he is now struggling somewhat - not eating, and difficulty navigating.

We dread this heartrenching call,want to stave it off. As natural as it is to resist this eventuality - hoping and looking for some improvement- we dont want to wait too long when its apparent none will be forthcoming.
When in our hearts, we just "know" - the time to act on their behalf has arrived. Many vets will come to the home for this- if this is something you might prefer for you and your dog.

My heart goes out to you at this difficult time. :grouphug:

iluvlucyricky
July 5th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. I just buried our boy. I felt like he was telling me to let him go too. It was harder than I expected. I thought I was the tough one but realized I'm not so tough. The vet was very kind and respectful to me and our dog. Thank you again for your kind words.

nymph
July 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I know where he is. :angel:

I Loved You Best
Jim Willis

So this is where we part, My Friend,
and you'll run on, around the bend,
gone from sight, but not from mind,
new pleasures there you'll surely find.

I will go on, I'll find the strength,
life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
share one last look, before I grieve.

There are others, that much is true,
but they be they, and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
will remember well all you've taught.

Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
the fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
take with you this...I loved you best.

Beaglemom
July 5th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I'm so very sorry for you loss. I know how difficult it is. :grouphug: It is always hard to lose a friend. :sorry: