Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any entrepreneurs out there?

kayla
July 4th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Iíve been stuck in a boring 9-5 office job all summer and have confirmed this is NOT the life for me. Iíve always thought starting my own business would be really neat but have heard itís really hard and not very likely to succeed. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has started their own business and wanted to share their story or ideas? Iíve always been interested in arts and crafty type things, and outdoors stuff too. I have thought of opening a little craft store, or an outdoors retreat of sorts. Landscaping and gardening has also interested me. Iíve also wanted to run an animal rescue but that would hardly pay for my living expenses, I imagine it would be more of a "hopefully break even" thing.

How hard is it to start up a business? How much paper work? Is it worth it? Anyways, if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on starting your own business I would love to hear them!

Safyre
July 4th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I am starting my own business soon, the business being, well, myself. as I am a childbirth doula (in training till october) I will work for myself.
The paperwork for me, has not been all that bad. finding a name was the worst, as I do belly casting as well, so it had to be ctachy.

The best advice I could give is to feel out your area, find what would work best in your area. I know in my town, a craft store would fall flat, an out door retreat, would be great, here. Get suggestions from family, friends and sgragners about businesses they want in the area. Know what your passion is, and work with it.

kayla
July 4th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Just out of curiosity what's a childbirth doula?

Safyre
July 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM
lol, whoops, sorry, shoulda explained.
A Childbirth Doula is a .. birth partner.Doula's work with the mom to assist her through labour, with massage, reflexology, aromatherapy, anything that is relaxing. Doula's assist her in moving the labour along naturally, position changes, and movement being key. Doulas will also help to support the family that attend the birth, assisting the dad (or partner) in how best to help their loved one through labour.
The big thing everyone wants to know, is do you deliver the baby? And NO, Doula's do not deliver babies. mid Wifes and Dr's do. Doulas often work in conjunction with Midwives.

Feel free to PM me with any questions :)

Writing4Fun
July 4th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Yes, I'm an entrepreneur. I started my own engraving/gift business when my department was "down-sized" while I was finishing my mat leave. :rolleyes:

It is very, very difficult to start your own biz, especially from scratch. But, there are a whole host of support systems out there, so make sure you use them to your best advantage. ;) Take advantage of all of the government programs out there. Now, I see you're in Montreal, and all my links are for Ontario programs, but I'm sure there are similar programs in place for Quebec entrepreneurs as well. Here's one to get you started: Canada Business Service Centre (http://canadabusiness.gc.ca/gol/cbec/site.nsf/en/index.html) And another: Online Small Business Workshop (http://www.cbsc.org/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=CBSC_FE%2FCBSC_WebPage%2FCB SC_WebPage_Temp&cid=1102594891135&c=CBSC_WebPage&lang=eng)

Of course, you could always join one of those "direct sales" groups (like Parti Lite, Pampered Chef, Jocus Toys, etc...). But then your week-ends are almost always taken up doing those "home parties". Check out www.wahm.com. Lots of people there are in these types of businesses, and they'd be more than willing to help you out. ;) Just make sure you RESEARCH whichever group you decide to join, and not just ask the rep what they think of it (obviously, they're going to think it's great).

HTH! :D
Good luck! :thumbs up

kayla
July 5th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info, Iíll check out those sites! Actually I wouldnít be starting it in Montreal. Iím just there for school, which I finish up this Fall. I would either end up in BC, or somewhere in Ontario, since I have family and friends both places. How to you tell if there is demand for whatever youíre selling? Ask people? Is there some sort of market research web site you can get this info on? Or do you just have to use your own business sense (of which I have none yet)? It seems like there is so much I need to know!

kandy
July 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
My husband started his own business when he was laid off from his job of 23 years. Since you are in Canada, the paperwork and available programs would be different so I can't help there, but I would strongly suggest that you take a couple of accounting classes before you start. It'll save you money in the long run because you won't have to pay someone else to do your bookeeping and you'll know what to do when you have a problem. There are lots of accounting programs out there that are really user friendly but if you don't have that basic knowledge you'll have a tough time using it. I have seen just how true the old saying "a little knowledge can get you in big trouble" is. I have a degree in Accounting, but my husband doesn't have much accounting knowledge. I set up his accounting program and taught him to use it, but since he doesn't have that basic knowledge behind him, he has made some mistakes in his bookeeping that have taken me alot of time to fix.

You could also look to see what businesses are for sale in the area. My husband bought an established awards business and then added custom framing, tourist type gifts and screen printing/embroidery services as other local businesses went out of business and created an opportunity for them.

One thing you do need to be prepared for is that owing your own business means you'll have to make major sacrifices. Especially in terms of time off. My parents have always owned their own businesses, and I tried to warn my husband about this, but he didn't believe me. He's owned the shop since June of 03 and he believes me now.