Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

UPDATE on Ocean (dog scratching until raw)

her122
July 4th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Well the vets was booked solid this morning but they agreed to see Ocean. $230 dollars later and she is starting to look better.

The vets confirmed that it was indeed a 'hot spot' and gave me Theradrem cream (with cortazone), and Cephalexin 500mg pills.

Before I left this morning (running late after all this) I put the cream on and gave her the pills (in grapes). And when I came home she was looking better. The oozing has stopped and it is looking like it is drying up. I am assuming that this is a good thing.

Here is a picture of how it looks now.

Thanks again to everyone.
And I will check on the brand of food she is eating. Maybe try something different for a few months.

her122
July 4th, 2005, 05:03 PM
ok that picture you can't see anything. I'll try that again.

Luba
July 4th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Oh ya def looks like a hottie spottie

It should start clearing up really fast. Consider giving your dog some yogurt to put back the healthy bacteria the antibiotic will be killing.

Dog Dancer
July 4th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Didn't I just read on another thread here that grapes are bad for our pups? I know my Lab loves them (if we split them in half first), but I have stopped allowing her more than one since reading that on this board some time back and I see it's on here again today. Just a warning to watch the grapes. Glad to hear the hot spot seems to be clearing up though! :thumbs up

her122
July 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM
OMG, I never knew that. I just read the post about what not to feed your dog. Ocean does not often get people food. (ok, timbits yes. I know it's not the best thing for her, but she loves them sooooo much) Here I thought I was doing good by giving her 'healty foods' and I find out I am actually not. :(


So what should I put the pills in?? Does it make a difference that the grapes are seedless?? I tried to just give it to her but she spit it out (surprise surprise). I know some people use cheese, bread, peanut butter, jam................ but what is the best thing for HER???

HAHAHA, just when you think the problem is getting better, there is a whole new issue to deal with. lol

Safyre
July 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM
honestly, if you can't pill her without a treat, i'd say cheese, as long as she is not the smartie type that licks all the cheese and doesn't eat the pill :)

A lot of ppl don't know about grapes, don't feel bad at all.

Dog Dancer
July 4th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I didn't know either about grapes so don't feel bad - they seem healthy! Anyhow my last dog was hard to pill, but she was a pig. So we'd wrap the pill in a piece of meat (or cheese) and keep a second piece dangling in front of her. She'd swallow the first one whole just to get the second piece. Worked always but they have to be food motivated. My Akita X would never fall for that, but she will just sit there and let me stuff one down her throat :rolleyes: Good luck!

mona_b
July 4th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Does it make a difference that the grapes are seedless??

It makes a huge difference if they are seedless.It's the seeds that are toxic.Not the grape itself.I have always given my dogs seedless grapes as treats.And my first GSD was with us for 13 years with absalutely no health effects at all.And my current one is 9 and gets them.Again,no health issues caused from them.And he has been getting them since he was a pup.He doesn't get them everyday mind you.In 7 days he would get them 3 days in that week span.I also know of others who give seedless ones and have had no problems. :)

goldenblaze
July 4th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I agree grapes are fine Blaze does eat red grapes often.
I checked with my Vet Dr Judy and she told me yes keep giving them as treats, no problem. Dr Judy also told me that you can now buy a dog food all natural and it has grapes in the food.

That is one big hot spot, wow Blaze had one but no anything like that. Poor thing, glad you have meds, everything will be fine. :)

Prin
July 4th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Grapes cause kidney failure in the long run. It's not really about the seeds, but the seeds themselves are toxic, but probably too small in one grape to have a serious effect.

I use white bread. If your doggy can catch, you ball up a pill in a bit of bread (very small so they swallow it whole) and you throw 2 or 3 other little empty balls too. I have to give Jemma a pill a week, and she never chews the bread.

coppperbelle
July 5th, 2005, 07:16 AM
I avoid grapes because I don't know how many is too many. When giving meds to Chloe I have to stuff it in a piece of hot dog and cover it with peanut butter. She still sometimes manages to spit it out if she watches me and knows I am putting it in.

angie79
July 5th, 2005, 08:14 AM
I was told grapes are bad because they can easily be choked on...
still find that kraft singles are the best pill decoy