Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shaved bum causing problems! HELP!!

tiernan
July 4th, 2005, 02:44 PM
My dog Micha was diagnosed with a bladder infection on Thursday (June 30). The medication has helped and she is getting better that is not the problem at all. The problem is that the vet tech (against my best instincts - I should have said no) shaved Micha with an electric razor right down to her skinny in the area of her bum and lower tail to take her temperature. That night and ALL DAY Friday she licked herself RAW, poor thing. Friday July 1 was a holiday so FIRST THING on Saturday we went to the pet store and bought a bonnet/the cone collar for her and also some pet antibiotic onitment. We first bought a small one (Micha is a bichon) then, realizing she could reach this area still quite well bought her a medium sized one ... she can still reach the sides and most of the area that was shaved.

Whenever we try to encourage her not to lick this area she gets VERY aggressive and has even taken a nip at us. She is very uncomfortable and has sever razor burn/itchy skin ... does the bum surf to try and get releif ... are there others that have been through this situation, how can we help her heal this razor burn caused by the shaved skin.

I definatyely know that next time I will assert myself and say, please do not shave her at all, I will TRIM her hair if necessary for her temperature taking!!!!

HELP!

worried mom.

Luba
July 4th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I'm sure it burns poor baby!

Go out and get her a raw beef bone from a butcher to chew on, it will deter her from chewing her bum bum. In the meantime if you have an aloe vera plant or some aloe vera gel put it on her bum it will soothe it greatly.
You can get the gel at any health food store, it's wonderful ...keep in the fridge and very inexpensive.

Rita
July 4th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Poor baby bum!! :sad:
I would be tempted to bring her back to the vet for treatment AT THEIR EXPENSE as it was their tech that shaved her skivvies in the first place :evil:

sammiec
July 4th, 2005, 04:17 PM
First off, why on earth would they shave her butt to take her temperature? Golden's have more hair then a bichon and I have never seen one with it's butt shaved after a vet visit!? That's so odd.

Both are very good suggestions. Aloe Vera and a dog bone after going to the vet and seeing if the tech might have hurt her bum while inserting the thermometer....

tiernan
July 5th, 2005, 07:11 AM
She was still very irritated last night, although improving, but I am not going to take any chances and I am calling the vet this morning to get her to get her in this afternoon. In addition to the itchy bum she may have a reaction or something to her antibiotics.

Urgh! I am not sure what her reasoning was, but how frustrating.

Thanks for your hints guys, about the raw bone ... will these make her sick if she is not used to them?

Luba
July 5th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Good idea
what did they give her clavamox?
if so ask to change to something less irritating to the digestive system.

While your dont' forget the list I told you about LOL
-raw beef bone (knuckle type)
-aloe vera gel
and
-yogurt

:D happy day good luck at the vet

toby's tracy
July 5th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Poor Micha! Not only does she have to deal with a bladder infection but now a raw bum?! What a raw deal, G!

I ditto Luba's list...

Toby sends Micha a hug. :love:

tiernan
July 5th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Hi guys, I called the vet office and then the vet phoned me back and we talked. He was upset to hear that this had happened because that is not how he trains his vet techs and if an area needs to be shaved he does it,. So he will be rectifying that situation.

He said that I can give her an 81mg baby asprin OR can get a vet asprin for pain and I will be stopping by there after work to get a better cone/bonnet because the one I bought at a local pet store is not long enough (small and medium size). It has to go past her nose completely to be effective.

We also talked about the agression we have been experiencing and he mentioned that ears, and genital area are REALLY sensitive and dogs will get agressive when they are itchy, uncomfortably, or in pain, especially in these areas to protect themselves and/or satisfy their itch.

Just thought I would share this information. My vet is fantasitc and looks like he will be chatting with his vet techs he is very sorry this happened.

I will let you know how things go.

sammiec
July 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I am so glad that he's going to do something about this sitation!!! Did he suggest anything to help your dog be comfortable during the healing process?

tiernan
July 5th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Asprin for pain and he will take a look at it when I pop by after work with Miches for the collar. He said creams (I bought antibiotic oitment for pets) are not effective as dogs lick them off so we will see if he has a spray or something for her. :pawprint:

tiernan
July 5th, 2005, 01:13 PM
But then, we are getting a proper fitting collar/cone from him so maybe we can still use that ointment.

Luba
July 5th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Here we go with the spelling again but ask for Veriton cream, they will not lick that off. I say forget the collar and just keep an eye on it. Because when you take the collar off guess where pups going to head for??? YUP and may make it worse.

Veriton cream tastes awful, one lick and thats it!

tiernan
July 6th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Sorry Luba, didn't read about that cream until this morning so didn't ask for it. We received an anti-inflammitory from the vet for her which was to eliminate the source of the itching and allow her to heal ... well she got one of the pills in the vet office and I HAD MY DOG BACK LAST NIGHT.

She was her usual crazy self, playing, running up and down the stairs, ringing her bell to go outside, barking at unusual activities in the neigborhood, cuddling, sleeping with us at night etc, etc. It was REFRESHING!

YAH we are sooo happy!!! We will be de-conning her as soon as she stops scooting.

Thanks for all of your hints folks - appreciate it! :-) :pawprint:

toby's tracy
July 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Yay for Miche-miche!

I'm so happy she's feeling better!

(Tiernan...do you know who I am?)

tiernan
July 6th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Yes of course my dear friend! How is your summer ... mine is CRAAAAA-ZY!

See you soon in 680!!!

Luba
July 6th, 2005, 04:14 PM
So glad to hear the bums bumming it's usual wiggle :D

tiernan
July 9th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys for your help and support.

Micha is doing much better and is without cone.

Have a great day.

Prin
July 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Yey. I sopmehow missed this thread, not that I would have been much help... I hope she heals up nicely. :fingerscr :)