Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog obedience school options

jiorji
July 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
hello

what's the average price for a training course for dogs in canada?
does obedience school also help with barking?

levimh
July 4th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I found that basic obedience helped with everything, in general. As for the price, I believe I paid somewhere around $150 for 2-3 months - that's with a discount taken off because I got Levi from the SPCA.

Lissa
July 4th, 2005, 12:02 PM
For my beginner obedience class it costs $135. Then I switched training schools and the cost was $150 for Intermediate Obedience (but that was because it was a pilot-project!). Usually that school charges $200 for an 8 week obedience course.
At my current training school, if you have more then one dog registered for calsses or if you return for further training classes or if your dog was apoted from the humane society then you get a discount.
I would expect to pay at least $100 for an 8-week course, most likely a bit more. Some courses like puppy classes and my pre-agility class are cheapar - about $75 (sometimes they are not the "usual" 8 weeks though)!
Hope that helps!
With regards to the barking, I am sure most any trainer will have suggestions. But make sure not to follow their advice blindly - make sure to do a bit of research so you can make an informed choice!

Writing4Fun
July 4th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I think the average rate in my area is around $100 (give or take $20) for a 6-week course.

Yes, obedience classes will help with the barking. Not only will they deal with it in class (if it comes up), but they'll also tell/show you how to deal with it at home.

Just make sure that you're 100% comfortable with your trainer and their methods. If they do anything that looks iffy to you (like pinning your dog to the floor or jerking on a choke chain), then take your money and your dog and run. ;)

Luba
July 4th, 2005, 12:16 PM
What type of barking and when? How often and what do you do right now about it?

Melinda
July 4th, 2005, 03:51 PM
where I am in Ontario, it's 50 dollars for a 7 weeks session, one hour long each time. We taught our dogs to "speak" on command and then it made it easier to teach them to "be quiet"......sounds odd, but it worked, my dog was a terrible barker.

nymph
July 4th, 2005, 04:07 PM
$135 for a 6-week course.

The city of Ottawa had basic obedience classes for $60, but was cancelled due to low enrollment, perhaps check your city's recreational services.

jiorji
July 6th, 2005, 12:14 AM
where I am in Ontario, it's 50 dollars for a 7 weeks session, one hour long each time. We taught our dogs to "speak" on command and then it made it easier to teach them to "be quiet"......sounds odd, but it worked, my dog was a terrible barker.

how do you do that??(teach it the speak command)

mafiaprincess
July 6th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Praise when barking.. 'good dog, good speak'. When you can get them to speak on command you can then use enough speak or whatever to revers it and get the dog to stop barking.

Melinda
July 6th, 2005, 06:18 AM
When your dog barks, stand in front of her and crook your index and middle finger (make it your signal for barking), it will attract the dogs attention, praise the dog plenty, good speak!! good girl and reward her with a treat, keep it up for a couple of days and then out of the blue, crook your fingers at her and say "speak" girl....good girl!!! When she starts responding to your command to "speak", then you can say "shush" or "no speak", when she's quiet, even if it's just for a couple minutes, praise and reward her, "good girl!!!! good shush"....

*side note* once they speak on silent command (crooked wagging fingers), it's great to use when you want off the phone with solicitors *L* you say "sorry, someone must be at my door".....