Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bugs in Compost

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 3rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
I started a thread a while back about composting but can't seem to find it now. I just went out to dump the compost bucket and found it crawling with bugs, at first they looked like earwigs but then upon closer look I didn't see their pinchers. The compost seems to be decomposing but I am not sure about the bugs should they be there, there is tons of them. I haven't put any meat in it or pet poop. We have been throwing the odd earthworm in there and it doesn't seem to smell at all.

JDG
July 3rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
I would think bugs would be a good thing in a compost heap. Isn't it the bugs that help break down the waste back into soil. . . .

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 3rd, 2005, 11:02 PM
I hope so, there is just so many of them it kind of creeped me out a bit. They do seem to be doing a good job breaking everything up.

JDG
July 3rd, 2005, 11:06 PM
I'm not a big fan of bugs either.

I let Marty kill a bug today - if Colin had been home I would have had him kill it. . . since Marty was the 'man of the house' he got the honours!

melanie
July 4th, 2005, 06:15 PM
bugs are good, if they appear naturally just let them run their course...you coudl try and look into some companion plants such as citronella to plant around the compost if it really bothers you, this will help control pests, any good permaculture book shoudl help there...

the three big things that should not go in compost- MEAT, DAIRY PRODUCTS OF ANY KIND, HORSE DOG or human POO. if you do not put in these things, any thing else is fine.....

i loooovvvvveeeeee composting, to get good healthy soil for free is a wonderful thing to do...