Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Second guesses at what breed cross

JJC
July 3rd, 2005, 08:01 PM
Hi all

Now that Tosa has grown quite a bit since the last time I asked for opinions I thought I would post some recent photos. So what are some of the guesses? Personally I think she has some GSD and maybe Whippet due to the body shape and color. She is pretty lankey in these photos and has filled out some now that she is on different food that agrees more with her. Here is the story of how I acquired her. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13516 Seeing as she is a rescue from Mexico I know she could have any number of breeds in her line but what do you think?

JJC
July 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
ddddddddddddddddd

JJC
July 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
ddddddddddddd

JJC
July 3rd, 2005, 08:05 PM
ddddddddddddddddddd

mona_b
July 3rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
OMG..What a sweetie you have there.... :thumbs up

I definately see GSD in her face part.Her body structure is that of Whippit/Greyhound.And the brindle colour is also in those 2 breeds.So yeah,I'm with you on that.

How old is she?And roughly how tall is she?I mean from the shoulders down.

Safyre
July 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
oh wow, that third picture she looks underweight ... you said she's packed on a few lbs since the pics? thats good thing.
I'm not saying you're mistreating he or anything, could be her breed... I was just shocked by the pic.

As for my guess, I have to say GSD cause of the face in the first pic, but no idea what the cross might be. Beautiful coat she has!

Wudjah
July 3rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
I had a foster puppy a few months ago that was almost identical to Tosa. She was a "confirmed" golden retriever/dutch shepherd mix. Only thing different is the ear set (the retriever in my pup made the ears a bit floppier). My other guess would be german shepherd/whippet.

Jenny

JJC
July 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Mona, she is about 19" at the shoulder and is 6.5 months old.

Safyre, I would agree she was underweight there. It was due to the food I had her on, Innova Evo. She just couldn't handle the higher protein. I now have her on Nutro Ultra and she has put on about three pounds since those shots were taken two weeks ago. :thumbs up Her coat is looking better and the shedding is starting to lessen also. I guess she is just one of those dogs that can't handle the Evo.

Lissa
July 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Last time I wrote to you abou Tosa, I figured she must be a german shepherd/whippet mix. But seeing how tall she is getting and that she is only 6.5 months old (and already 19inches!) it makes me wonder if she's more greyhound then whippet!
She is so gorgeous! Her face is so shepherd like but her ears, body and how she sits is so much like a whippet/greyhound.
I think you have narrowed it down to the appopriate breeds and now its just a matter of time to see how tall she gets!!!!
Melissa

Lizzie
July 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
I thought the same as MonaB :) Whippet/Greyhound--GSD cross :)

Wudjah
July 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Here is a picture of my foster pup (since adopted) at 8 weeks of age. Mother was a purebred golden retriever, Father was a purebred dutch shepherd.

Jenny

JJC
July 3rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Allright so now that you all think she has some kind of Whippet/Greyhound in her I have a related question. I know that those breeds have difficulties sitting or are uncomfortable sitting. When I put her in a stay command I'm thinking it should be a down/stay so she is more comfortable. What do you think?

JJC
July 3rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Wudjah, very cute pup. Looks very similar to Tosa except for the ears like you said. Have you ever heard of a Lurcher? It's not a breed per say but more of a type of dog. They are usually a sight hound crossed with a working breed. If you do a search there are several sites that come up with some good info. They were bred by English commoners years ago as hunting companions because it was looked down upon for a commoner to have a pure bred dog.

Here are a few sites.

http://www.lurcher.org/kaye/LurcherLinkwebpages/Lurcherlinkfrontpage.html

http://www.users.daelnet.co.uk/lurchers/

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lurcher.htm

http://www.users.daelnet.co.uk/lurchers/this_is_coursing%202.htm

Luba
July 3rd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Wow what a cutie :D

Your baby sure has a uniqueness. I would guess at some sort of shepherd but not sure if GSD, but with the brindle I would say some boxer maybe and definitely greyhound.

Lovely pictures btw.

Catt31
July 3rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
I would say greyhound for sure and shepherd. Her face is soooo similar to Brick's - that nose, those ears, those eyes!!! Although his body shape is different, their faces are similar!

I'm sorry I don't know the whole story on her, did you rescue her from Mexico or are you fostering?

JJC
July 3rd, 2005, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry I don't know the whole story on her, did you rescue her from Mexico or are you fostering?

She was rescued from Mexico by some friends of mine but they weren't able to keep her. Click the link in my first post for more details. :)

Catt31
July 3rd, 2005, 10:28 PM
Thank you!!! After I posted that last one I did go have a look!! She is very cute!! I bet she is high energy!!!

Jenmlf
July 4th, 2005, 12:10 AM
ddddddddddddddddddd

Yeah I definately agree with the GDS as well as grayhound or whippet.

chico2
July 4th, 2005, 07:31 AM
JJC,I remember that feel-good-story of the day :D and I am glad she's doing good,except beeing extreemly skinny..but as you say,she gaining weight now..
I have no idea what she is,other than unique and a very lucky puppy!!
As an animal-lover it's very difficult to travel to the Carribean and Mexico,because of all the dogs and cats...but your friends did a wonderful thing bringing this puppy home.
Is she still timid and fearful?,she looks full of confidence on the pictures..

nymph
July 4th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I'm with Mona, what a gorgeous baby!

Shamrock
July 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I see the GSD in her for sure..not sure of what else might be present.
Whatever she is, she's beautiful first and foremost! :)

JJC
July 4th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I thank you all on behalf of Tosa for all the compliments. I'm sure she appreciates it. :)

chico, yes she is much more confident now. She is now the exact opposite with strangers wanting to run up and jump and get all the attention she can. We're working on the jumping part. :rolleyes: She is still a little aprehensive of strange dogs but that is also getting much better after she gets to know them. She was actually part of the pack a couple weeks ago at a friends place that included a GSD, Boston Terrier, and a monster Newfy. :thumbs up

She has put on three pounds in the last two weeks now that I have her on the Nutro Ultra. She can handle much more of it than the measly cup a day of the Evo. That and a nice helping of organic yogurt every day. Here are a couple shots I took today. The first one was in mid stretch and chewing on a stick. Goofy dog.

Jasan

JJC
July 4th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Another basking in the sun.

JJC
July 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
And to put a face with the name. Tosa and I on our adventures in the Sawtooths.

mona_b
July 4th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I know that those breeds have difficulties sitting or are uncomfortable sitting.

Hmmmm,I really never heard of that.There is a couple a few blocks over who rescued 2 Greyhounds.When they are pushing their daughter in the stroller and come to a red light,both dogs are put in a sit stay and they "sit" with no problem.

If I bump into them anytime soon I will ask them about it.

By the way,one of the dogs is a brindle.... ;)

When I look at the pic of Tosa stretching,I actually see my dogs face in her.I have a GSD.

Prin
July 5th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I would guess at some sort of shepherd but not sure if GSD, but with the brindle I would say some boxer maybe and definitely greyhound.

I agree with the shep, but not necessarily GSD. Maybe a smaller one. Or a border collie... (except that BC mixes usually end up black.)

The brindle could be whippet.. Being so small, I say whippet is far more likely than greyhound.

Puppyluv
July 13th, 2005, 06:23 AM
I know this is a sort of old post, but just a comment on the lurcher; my girl is a lab/whippet/something cross, and so deemed a lurcher. I have to say that when I looked at the pictures of Tosa (and they are BEAUTIFUL) l thought I was looking at a brindled Layla (my dog). About the sitting; it never seems to 'bother' her, but she sits quie oddly, sort of with her bum curled under her, and knees together.... perhaps attributed to what you said about grey hound/whippets. I'd have to agree with whippet over greyhound, especially if she's mixed with a large sheppard breed. I think part of the beauty though, is by not knowing her breed, there's no need to classify or compare her.
Again, what a GORGEOUS dog

kandy
July 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I hadn't seen this thread before - and I agree that your furbaby is gorgeous! Such unusual coloring! I am wondering if there isn't any Cao de Fila in there?? I just read another thread (the one about ear hack jobs) and the coloring really matches those dogs and since your dog came from Mexico?? I do see the GSD in the face structure, but it can be so hard to tell. When I saw the photos, I immediately thought of that other thread about the ears. Gorgeous dog - whatever breed mix it is! :)

Coldwetnose
July 14th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Puppyluv - actually a Lurcher is a sighthound - terrier cross. It was originally bred by the gypies in England as the ultimate poormans hunting dog - great prey instinct, fast and determined.

Puppyluv
July 14th, 2005, 09:19 PM
oh my mistake, i was told when i got her that she was a)lab/whippet/? cross b) a lurcher. Thought the lurcher part came from the lab/whippet, but i guess it comes from the whippet/?

JJC
July 14th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the compliments. She is definately one of the most unique dogs I've seen. From what research I've done, a Lurcher is a sight hound crossed with a working breed and yes they were bred in England by Gypsies in the 1600's for the ultimate hunting dog. The speed and prey instincts of the sight hound and the intelegence of the working breed. Here is a good description and some history.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lurcher.htm

Kandy thanks for that info on the Cao de Fila. I did a search and she does have the right coloring but she is not nearly as thick as that breed. However that could change as she fills in. Personaly I think she really resembles more of the Greyhound/whippet shape.