Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat with two little pimples/warts on her chin

button
July 3rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
My housecat, Button (11 months old), developed in the last 3 days two little pimples or warts on her chin, one above the other. I noticed the redness over the last two days, and today she developed little black centres, and the redness became two distinct red circles. If they were on my face, I'd say they might be deep blackhead pimples, but they could also look like warts. They aren't raised, though.

Actually, now that I look a second time, her skin isn't red anymore, and the skin is raised a little around the black marks. There seems also to be a little whitehead pimple (a third thing).

We moved on Wednesday, so could they be related to stress?

She doesn't seem even to have noticed them (not scratching or licking at them), but I'm worried about her. Is there anything I can/should do? She hasn't experienced any other symptoms.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Safyre
July 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
She'll need to be diagnosed by a vet,from your description I would *guess* feline acne.
Here is a webpage I found on it, http://www.balgownievet.com.au/1_gen_derm_acne.htm there is a link at the bottom that you click for multiple pictures of Feline Acne.

There are afew thngs that can cause bumps and irritations, for that reason, its best to have her checked out by the vet. If it is Feline Acne, she will need tropical ointments to help. Make an appointment for tomorrow or tuesday would be my advice

button
July 3rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the idea! It doesn't look like the photos on that site, though - not red, not at all irritated, just 2 little raised lumps with very small black centres. If I didn't spent a lot of time snuggling with her, I might not have noticed.

I should add that they aren't under her chin - they're on the front of her chin (if that makes sense), like the front part of a human's chin. The underside of her chin is clean.

Safyre
July 3rd, 2005, 09:28 PM
The pictures on that site were very extreme case of feline acne
My old cat Missy(RIP) used to get acne on her chin.
I understand where you mean it is, i'd still venture to say it could be the starting of it. Feline acne, like human acne, can be caused by stress.
I've tried googling this topic, and find only feline acne info.
Missy would get lil bumps on her chin if she had fleas, as well. Thats where they would attack more, on her at least. Those were different than 'pimple' like bumps though.

JDG
July 3rd, 2005, 09:42 PM
Could it be an irritation to the heat?

I know I get red bumps sometimes from the heat. . . can animals get the same?

What about a change in diet?

cutiecherise
July 3rd, 2005, 10:55 PM
It's probably pimples.

My tortie used to get mild pimples.
Try wiping her chin with a damp cloth after she eats,
this will help clear food particles which can block pores.

chico2
July 4th, 2005, 07:48 AM
My cats at one time had feline acne,I treated them with 2% chloroxyl Scrub from the vet and it quickly was cleared.
It can also be an allergy to the food dish,if you use plastic,change it to china or stainless steel.
I had a cat once(Sammy)with a severe allergic reaction to plastic-dishes.