Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Physically "Disabled" Cat

Lissa
July 3rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Hi,

Last summer, I started looking after a "friend's" two cats - when she's out of town (which is quite frequent). She isn't really a close friend, more like an acquaintance so I don't have a whole lot of information about them (except that they are rescues).

Anyway, her grey kitty (called Aut' Chat - in french it's short for Other cat - I thought that it was sad to call a at that but French speaking people tell me that its a cute endearment!) So Aut' Chat has some sort of of physical problem with her hind legs. She doesn't drag them behind her but "walks" on almost the whole leg (not just the feet). Her tail is still in full use and she doesn't have any bladder problems. Is this some sort of muscle weakness?

I know that when she first notice Aut' Chat's problems, she spent lots of money doing whatever the vet suggested. In the end though, they couldn't really tell her much about this disability/injury. The cat wasn't always like this (it wasn't an injury, it just started happening one day) but thankfully she hasn't deteriorated this past year.

Does anybody know what this might be? Is it just a muscle weakness that can be lived with?

I don't know how old her cats are but they are both overweight and are on Weight Management Medi-Cal Dry food (they used to get wet food but not anymore!)

Aut' Chat still manages to jump up on the bed - I have no idea how because when I'm there she just stares at me until I lift her up and put her on the bed! Her food dish is up there so the other cat doesn't bully her too much!

I know that Aut' Chat isn't in pain and she will "play" if you drag a string in front of her front paws. She is just so awkward and it looks uncomfortable when she walks but she seems happy enough.

Here's Aut' Chat -

Lissa
July 3rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
This is a profile of how she support herself (she was eating but I interupted!) Sorry for the bluriness!

Lissa
July 3rd, 2005, 03:43 PM
And lastly, I tried to get a pic of her actually "walking" it didn't turn out so good though! I'll try again tomorrow if she moves around!

Thanks, in advance for your thoughts!!!

chico2
July 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Lissa,she certainly is a beautiful cat,I have no idea why she cannot walk properly.Is she an older cat? Maybe arthritic,but then the vet would have known...arthrities is easy to diagnose.
Was an X-ray ever taken?

Lissa
July 3rd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Yes,that is one thing I do know for sure, she did have an x-ray taken. Although she didn't really explain what, if anything the vet had found.
I don't know Aut Chat exact age, from what I've been told she's about 5 years old. But next time I speak with her I'll ask for her age - but since she was rescued it still is a bit of a guess!
Thanks for the quick reply!

Lucky Rescue
July 3rd, 2005, 06:28 PM
I have no clue what's wrong with this cat - neurological, spinal problems, even a tick bite - but I do know the weight must be kept down for this cat to be able to function.

I would take them off the Medi-cal food and give them canned. I"ve seen way too many fat cats who eat dry food.

CAnned is more satisfying for carnivorous cats and has much needed moisture.

Lissa
July 3rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks LR, I will mention the wet food idea to her. I think it would probably be best, at least on the moisture level because I doubt that Aut' Chat drinks very much water. Thanks for the thought.
I think her owner assumed that the wet food was causing the weight gain, especially in her other cat. So she removed wet food completely. I warned her not to do that because the cats stopped eating for a couple of day and I knew how much damage that can cause. Thankfully, the cats are okay and have "accepted" just the dry food.
I will talk with her about bringing wet food back!
Thank-you!!

Melissa